Help Sway out with some little somethings.

Down below, where the dead threads go.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

What name do you personally like better?

Nalini
54%
Chameli
46%

Total votes: 24

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Re: Help Sway out with some little somethings.

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

=))
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Nalini is actually a so and so common name in India. It is "lotus" after all, and the Lotus holds a special significance throughout all the variety of cultures in india
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

neither=/. I wouldn't read a book(unless it was written by an author from a country where such names are common) with a main character name like that. Too pompous.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

Fen wrote:neither=/. I wouldn't read a book(unless it was written by an author from a country where such names are common) with a main character name like that. Too pompous.
In all the years I've been writing, listening, reading, and obtaining the opinions of others, I have never heard of someone using names as an excuse to call someone's literary work pompous. Interesting.

Oh wait, no, I take that back. I first heard it when Twilight stepped into the spotlight.

Bella Swan? Really?

It's not a main character, thankfully.
Tenjen wrote:Nalini is actually a so and so common name in India. It is "lotus" after all, and the Lotus holds a special significance throughout all the variety of cultures in india
Good. Not looking for out of the ordinary.
ImageImage

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Don Alexander wrote:That's why I voted for it :D
I ACTUALLY ARGUED WITH DON ABOUT THIS!

I am such a dork! It totally reminds me of Nagini :P

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Swayambhu wrote:
Fen wrote:neither=/. I wouldn't read a book(unless it was written by an author from a country where such names are common) with a main character name like that. Too pompous.
In all the years I've been writing, listening, reading, and obtaining the opinions of others, I have never heard of someone using names as an excuse to call someone's literary work pompous. Interesting.
No, the actual name is pompous:P. It's just that I can already see myself skipping lines whilst trying to pronounce the name in my head, having funny mental images of the kid being mocked by the other kids for having a funny name, etc. Usually lasts for a few lines with bad names, but both of these names would last me ages. (can't think of a better example right now, but I failed to empathise with Callie's romance in Middlesex simply because I found his naming the girl "the obscure object" so bloody ridiculous. But Middlesex is Middlesex, so it was still good.).

Also, names are very important for a character, and unusual names/nicknames usually give a first impression of that character. Both names give me this vibe of a person I'd really really really dislike.

Ah, I am quite a peculiar person when it comes to reading, so maybe it's just me.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

Damnit. The votes are tied.

Technically, I mean. I accidentally voted when I didn't mean to.

Knew it wasn't going to be as easy as that.
ImageImage