Volume 3 Print Edition Discussion

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Volume 3 Print Edition Discussion

Post by Spidrift »

The PDFs of the latest round of Ma3-universe volumes have now gone out to Kickstarter backers, including SotR volume 3. Quick notes on that, for those who might be wondering what it includes beyond the strips we've already seen:
  • Somewhat updated biographical notes, covering more of the cast.
  • "Beside Herself", the old bonus story in which a drunk Sandra has a conversation with her own id, added as the first chapter. I guess this means that the story is not only widely available, but it's now firmly cemented into canon -- complete with the crucial retcon about Sandra's capacity for lesbian sex, at least when she's drunk. Of course, it also includes the line about Sandra being incapable of actually loving another woman, a personality trait which presumably must be considered to have somehow been scrubbed away in her year back in Montreal, but oh well.
  • A new bonus story, "Boyfriend Troubles", which actually ties off a number of the loose ends which were left when the online comic ended. Alex is now confirmed as bi and seeing Nadine and Christophe, Lavali is (apparently) still with Aaina, and I think that's Pierre in bed with Eloise... It also has some entertaining guest appearances, including one panel that deserves to launch a thousand fanfics. On the other hand, the last panels might be considered severely squicky by some people. (They feature Alex making Lavali watch him having sex with Nadine...)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Re: Volume 3 Print Edition Discussion

Post by rogermart »

That extra story is great, Alex is confirmed as bi, Christophe gets to be with Alex (his repressed wish), and Nadine keeps having fun. Also it seems that Eloise managed to get Pierre after all, well she was confident even with the setback, and she had the time since a year passed, and that panel of Lavali and Sonya watching Bianca and Aaina/Aania fighting makes me want more than ever a comic of their adventures/shenanigans.
Also, the brother/sister conversation is great, at first I was lost on why Lavali would have a problem with her brother liking men (even applyin the "gays hate lesbians" stereotype it seemed weird), but she spilled the beans revealing her real issue. Nice way to end it, tying loose ends and those last panels giving a Domestic Na kanojo kinda vibe :))
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It does tie up a lot quite neatly, though I can’t help finding the last panel seriously creepy.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

I agree. I found it funny, but creepy.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

brasca

Post by brasca »

rogermart wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:36 am
That extra story is great, Alex is confirmed as bi, Christophe gets to be with Alex (his repressed wish), and Nadine keeps having fun. Also it seems that Eloise managed to get Pierre after all, well she was confident even with the setback, and she had the time since a year passed, and that panel of Lavali and Sonya watching Bianca and Aaina/Aania fighting makes me want more than ever a comic of their adventures/shenanigans.
Also, the brother/sister conversation is great, at first I was lost on why Lavali would have a problem with her brother liking men (even applyin the "gays hate lesbians" stereotype it seemed weird), but she spilled the beans revealing her real issue. Nice way to end it, tying loose ends and those last panels giving a Domestic Na kanojo kinda vibe :))

I didn't notice Eloise was with Pierre now which is odd since I noticed just about all the cameos. I totally agree with wanting an action comic with Aaina, Aania & Lavali mixing it up with Bianca and Sonya. Just that one panel alone was golden. I also liked seeing Marie possibly in Pixie Trix Comix Shop with Gary and Peggy. It gives me hope that she might have a cameo appearance in that webcomic. I didn't find the last panel as creepy, but something that wasn't really thought through all that well and Lavali should've known better. You would think before her brother even got naked to have sex with another woman that she would have accepted that he's bisexual, but then again she could've been distracted by Nadine. Who wouldn't? And let's be honest ill conceived ideas are par for the course for Lavali's character so I'll accept this along with all the other farcical stuff that occurred in this webcomic.

Out of all the loose ends in Sandra and the Rocks I found Alex and Lavali's the most disappointing so I appreciated that this bonus story gave us some closure.

Thanks again David Lumsdon, Eisu, and T Campbell.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

It's great seeing Lavali with someone that loves her

brasca

Post by brasca »

Cortez wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 am
It's great seeing Lavali with someone that loves her
Indeed. I just hope she's not involved in anything illegal.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Sure. She’s hanging out with a pair of international jewel thieves, last seen apparently in hand-to-hand combat with a known professional spy using lethal weapons, but we can hope that no-one is breaking the law.
---------
Spidrift