2019-07-01 The End

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2019-07-01 The End

Post by Spidrift »

Incidentally, Sandra's subconscious once told her (in the "Beside Herself" PDF) that her getting into a serious relationship with a woman would be Hell (especially once their menstrual cycles synched up); further, what she really craves is wild and kinky meaningless sex, and lesbian relationships offer her that precisely because they don't involve emotional attachment. If that's correct, this may not be as happy an ending as it looks...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 am
Eisu wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 am
Yawn...

I wish I could say I was happy about this ending but I'm not. I've nothing against Sandra or Cammi but I'm not invested in them as a couple and this ending is painfully, obviously rushed. Reminds me of Avengers: Endgame, ironically enough, in that the ending of that movie had a few things about it that I wasn't cool with, and one moment in particular stank of the film-makers just wanting to end on a certain shot slash note, and nuts to everything else as long as they could have it.

Oh, and I'm not sure who you think you've been fooling by posting these strips with phony dates of release. This strip has had severe schedule slip and I'd have more respect for you if you would be upfront about that.
What the HELL are you talking about fooling anyone? I didn't backdate the comic to fool anyone you stupid ass, I did it cos those were the dates it was supposed to go up, I didn't do it for anyone but ME, not for you, not for other readers cos guess what shitface? PEOPLE CAN SEE THAT THE SCHEDULE SLIP HAPPENED WHEN IT DIDN'T GO UP ON THE DATE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. But it WAS supposed to go up on those dates so I wanted to date it on the date it was supposed to go up, not because I was fooling people, shit for brains. I don't care if I get banned for this post, I feel extremely angry that you think I did that purposely to fool anyone, I DID NOT SHITHEAD. I DID IT FOR MY OWN REASONS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE ELSE, NOT YOU, NOT DAVE, NOT THE READERS, NOT THE FANS. I did it to tell myself how badly I screwed up not finishing it on the time it was supposed to go up, so FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.
/:)

Look, Eisu, mate... I'm sorry my post upset you, but yelling at me is not going to change what happened. And you know that. If whatever mental health issues you have over missing the scheduled upload dates are so severe that this is how you respond to allegations of ulterior motives, then my sincere suggestion is that you need to get professional help with them, because this is not a good sign.
@Kroc

Your original post did come across as antagonistic and accusatory, at least to me. If there were any problems with the dates on the strips, I find it unlikely that people would feel "fooled" and angry, unless they had an extremely high sense of entitlement to their entirely free and enjoyable webcomic.

Look at it another way. Eisu has just posted the last strip of a comic they have worked on for several years. A comic that has been a labour of love, trying to keep up with a difficult posting schedule and being fully aware of the delays that have resulted in "missed" or more precisely, slightly delayed strips. On the last strip, where they say goodbye to characters they are quite emotionally invested in, they are accused of being deceitful and manipulative. It is not very surprising they are hurt and angry by the accusation- I know I certainly would be. Maybe reconsider your post to be less confrontational and aggressive?

Alex_84

Post by Alex_84 »

Loved it. Was wonderful to see the art evolve so much over the course of the comic :)

Alex_84

Post by Alex_84 »

I am sad to see some 'fans' acting entitled and cruel about what was a considerable output of art of consistent quality.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 am
Incidentally, Sandra's subconscious once told her (in the "Beside Herself" PDF) that her getting into a serious relationship with a woman would be Hell (especially once their menstrual cycles synched up); further, what she really craves is wild and kinky meaningless sex, and lesbian relationships offer her that precisely because they don't involve emotional attachment. If that's correct, this may not be as happy an ending as it looks...

It could be that she doesn't feel that way anymore though. Just like she's far more accepting of her attraction towards Cammi.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

For the record - I never had any issue with the art (I actually love the style), and knew Eisu was a busy individual, so had no issue with delays in updates (life gets in the way, you now?); my only issue was the writing, which - personal opinion, only - started to suffer.
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 am
A year is a bloody long time, mate. A lot can happen in a week or even a month, never mind a year. Sure, the feelings might linger, but the idea that time apart could lead to Cammi moving on with her life after coming to terms with what happened with Sandra doesn't sound in any way implausible to me.

Especially when the missing parties are incommunicado for that entire year. (like, seriously - no texts, no phone calls, no comments on social media? Nothing?)

Even with Sandra's weak excuse that she didn't have anyone's contact info (being forced to abandon your phone in Paris is one thing; but, 'I never learned anyone's last names'...really?; given her rising stardom in the modeling business, it would be damned near impossible for none of the Paris folks to not have some means of contacting her.
Cortez wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:13 pm
It could be that she doesn't feel that way anymore though. Just like she's far more accepting of her attraction towards Cammi.
Which, let's be fair, came out of left field. Sandra had shown no sexual interest/made sexual advances on Cammi unless she was plastered; and it was made an established fact in Ma3 that Sandra is clueless what she gets up to when in that drunken state. Suddenly, she's gay for Cammi the moment she sees Cammi's strong arms/display of strength during moving day?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
If that change had been presented as proper character development, then yeah, sure, no problem. But the sense of it dropping out of the blue is an issue to begin with, and when we’ve specifically been told that Sandra taking up with another woman would be a guaranteed car crash...

But let’s just say “over-hasty ending” and leave it there.
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm
For the record - I never had any issue with the art (I actually love the style), and knew Eisu was a busy individual, so had no issue with delays in updates (life gets in the way, you now?); my only issue was the writing, which - personal opinion, only - started to suffer.
Agreed that the art is fine, and the delayed updates in themselves were just one of those Webcomics things. (I make monthly Patreon payments to strips which don’t update from one month to the next. God knows why.) But they did lead to those totally out-of-wack strip dates... Personally, I barely noticed them, except to find them slightly confusing occasionally, but they did end up seeming a bit eccentric. Hardly a moral issue, though.
Even with Sandra's weak excuse that she didn't have anyone's contact info (being forced to abandon your phone in Paris is one thing; but, 'I never learned anyone's last names'...really?; given her rising stardom in the modeling business, it would be damned near impossible for none of the Paris folks to not have some means of contacting her.
Behold the reality-warping power of Magic Zoé!
Which, let's be fair, came out of left field. Sandra had shown no sexual interest/made sexual advances on Cammi unless she was plastered; and it was made an established fact in Ma3 that Sandra is clueless what she gets up to when in that drunken state.
To be really fair, there was a dream sequence in a print bonus story that showed Sandra as having a probable attraction to Cammi...

No, that’s a very feeble defence.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

So...Sandra's attraction to Cammi is based on a random dream she had? (assuming print bonus stories are considered part of canon, that is - which I thought they weren't).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Itrogash

Post by Itrogash »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 am
Well, we have a lot left to imagination with this ending so it could go any way it's interpreted. I'm more on the optimistic side so I'm headcanon that this was just another layer of denial Sandra. Like, firstly she completely denies possibility of being with women, then, after that fateful shower, she's like "OK, maybe I am a bit into women, but to be in relationship with them? Nah". I'm gonna assume that during the time skip she had some sort realization that made her get over it.
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:42 pm
Cortez wrote:
If that change had been presented as proper character development,
Which, let's be fair, came out of left field. Sandra had shown no sexual interest/made sexual advances on Cammi unless she was plastered; and it was made an established fact in Ma3 that Sandra is clueless what she gets up to when in that drunken state.
To be really fair, there was a dream sequence in a print bonus story that showed Sandra as having a probable attraction to Cammi...

No, that’s a very feeble defence.
Sandra was also shown to already have been with another woman while drunk in college in the same bonus strip. The way I think it was supposed to be read is that Sandra always leaned that way, Cammi just happened to be the only person who managed to bring it out without the need to loosen inhibitions with booze.
There is also another bonus story in Volume 2 with another dream sequence where Sandra fantasies about confessing to Cammi, even going as far saying she regrets being with Pierre. That shower really must have rustled her jammies.

Itrogash

Post by Itrogash »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm
So...Sandra's attraction to Cammi is based on a random dream she had? (assuming print bonus stories are considered part of canon, that is - which I thought they weren't).
This particular side story is very plot heavy, gives a lot of insight in Sandra's past relationship with booze, and ties in very well with future arcs. I don't know about other bonus stories but this one definitely feels like it was written to be canon.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Well... there go my hopes of a PixieTrix comic having a good and consistent ending. It's been so long... I remember years ago, every morning I had a great moment enjoying Eerie Cuties and Menage a 3. I loved the corky humor, the storyline and the characters. I celebrated when Sandra on the Rocks was created: it was a nice diversity, having storylines about becoming succesful instead of trying to get laid.

But with the years thing started going down. I guess we are talking of an anti-Cerebus syndrome: storylines for all comics started being less and less consistent, looking to create dumb jokes and sex-related puns like those early teenagers love so much.

When Eerie Cuties ended I could not be any more dissapointed. Dumbed down characters, aborted story-arcs, plot-holes that didn't recieve a pay-off... and the story repeated itself with the other ones (well, I'm not sure about SDB because that one wasn't interesting to me). Specially with Menage a 3, where talking about alternate sexualities became the priority over a consistent character development.

And now SotR has gone the same way. So many plotlines left hanging off, like, what happened with Lavali and the phantom thief twins? Did she die of a nosebleed by imagining them making out? What happened with Alex and Eloise, was that the end of the line? (let's not forget the stupid plot of Alex suddenly believing himself to be gay). And Pierre? Did he commit suicide by putting himself inside one of the bakery's ovens? What about Ingrid, wasn't she Cammi's girlfriend? Heck, she dissapears in an instant, like "poof", she doesn't exist anymore.

But making Sandra become Cammi's girlfriend has been the most blatant pandering of girl-on-girl fans. A character that was emphasized she was straight, not being able to make out with another woman while being drunk. But no, let's throw that out of the window just to have a girl kissing in the last panel.

As I said, I'm terribly dissapointed in this ending, terribly low quality and a big stinker. I'd say is the second to last worst ending of a Pixie Trix comic, only exceeded by the unholy abomination that was Eerie Cuties' ending.
Alex_84 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm
I am sad to see some 'fans' acting entitled and cruel about what was a considerable output of art of consistent quality.
I'm sorry, but if you consider this "consistent quality" then your standards must be very, very low.
Last edited by LarsenSan on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm
(assuming print bonus stories are considered part of canon, that is - which I thought they weren't).
The ones written by other writers clearly aren’t, but the Giz/Dave/Eisu creations, apart from the obvious weirdness such as the gender swap stories, are generally consistent with the main comic and haven’t usually been disowned or radically contradicted that I recall. It seems safe to treat them as canon.
LarsenSan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm
When Eerie Cuties ended I could not be any more dissapointed. Dumbed down characters, aborted story-arcs, plot-holes that didn't recieve a pay-off... and the story repeated itself with the other ones (well, I'm not sure about SDB because that one wasn't interesting to me).
Funnily enough, SDB probably had the least bad ending of any Pixietrix comic. A few subplots were definitely rushed, but mostly not offensively, one bit of character motivation (Ruby’s feelings towards Amber) was simplified to the point of stupidity, and a few threads were left hanging — but the main plot strands came to reasonably coherent conclusions.
---------
Spidrift

Ophidiophile

Post by Ophidiophile »

It's too bad this last strip isn't in color. Besides being a good way to end, I'm really curious what colors Cammi's eyes are. Heterochromia. Nice touch. Gives a good explanation for Cammi's shades.

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

My prediction is the dark one is brown, the light one green.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

LarsenSan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm

But making Sandra become Cammi's girlfriend has been the most blatant pandering of girl-on-girl fans. A character that was emphasized she was straight, not being able to make out with another woman while being drunk. But no, let's throw that out of the window just to have a girl kissing in the last panel.
Except even before this Sandra admitted that she found Cammi attractive, even when sober. In the end that scene with DiDi just means she wasn't into DiDi and vice versa.