2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Gotoh

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Gotoh »

@RConrad: Well yeah, I never said Marie did it full-time, she's only had some modelling experience. But it's still enough to give her a competitive edge. That's all I was saying.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

There are different kinds of models: Runway models, editorial models, commercial models, plus-size models, swimsuit/lingerie models, glamour models, petite models, body-part models (like hand, foot, lips, hair, etc.), fitness models, promotional models, fit models (used for sizing), painting models, etc. And models can do one or more of those categories (like we saw Sandra do in the Montreal montage)...

Now, if you ask anyone about models, usually the first type that comes to their minds is the runway kind, or any type that involves only clothes. But models promote all kinds of products including videogames.

Sandra was doing a the same job Camilla Luddington did on Shadow of the Tomb Raider which was doing the main character of the game, that includes having the character modeled after you, doing mo-cap, sometimes voice acting, a whole range of things, while Marie just did mo-cap for monsters and background characters, none of them modeled after her, and she won't promote the game, not in photos, not in presentations, not anywhere.

So for me, Marie was not doing a modelling job, while Sandra was. Of course, Zoe saw the modelling potential because of her movements, and considering her background in dance and theatre, she could not only be a model, but an actress as well...

Of course, now thanks to her shenanigans, she could sink and be nothing... We'll see...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

rogermart wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:35 am
Marie just did mo-cap for monsters and background characters, none of them modeled after her, and she won't promote the game, not in photos, not in presentations, not anywhere.

So for me, Marie was not doing a modelling job, while Sandra was.
She wasn't in the starring role, but she was still modelling and doing bit parts could eventually lead to bigger opportunities. She's already getting exposure in fashion shoots and magazine covers now, thanks to Eva.

There's also no telling what agencies or talent scouts who may have their eyes on her now. Anyone could be waiting to take Marie off Eva's hands once she's done with her. Just like Domenico saw potential in Sandra and took her off Senna's hands - and Sandra had no experience at that point.

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:34 am
rogermart wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:35 am
Marie just did mo-cap for monsters and background characters, none of them modeled after her, and she won't promote the game, not in photos, not in presentations, not anywhere.

So for me, Marie was not doing a modelling job, while Sandra was.
She wasn't in the starring role, but she was still modelling and doing bit parts could eventually lead to bigger opportunities. She's already getting exposure in fashion shoots and magazine covers now, thanks to Eva.

There's also no telling what agencies or talent scouts who may have their eyes on her now. Anyone could be waiting to take Marie off Eva's hands once she's done with her. Just like Domenico saw potential in Sandra and took her off Senna's hands - and Sandra had no experience at that point.
Let's not use Domenico's wildly flagrant decision-making as a standard to go by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm
brasca wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm
And yet you can believe Marie’s downward spiral is attributed to her childhood crush not seeing her as more than a friend?
Uh, pardon? I didn’t realise that was a major point of contention.

Anyhow, I’m sure that everyone’s suspension of disbelief has its own critical breaking triggers. Am I alone in finding this one strip a bit arbitrary, though?
Yes, but why is Ingrid wanting to be a model that difficult to believe. She has the look and Zoe has eyes. She claims she's done with proteges, but this be her way of challenging Ingrid to impress her with some sign of commitment. Now I will admit Ingrid's desire to become a model to try and help Marie seems a little far fetched since she didn't seem to have that strong of a bond with her, but she could have other motivations too.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

There's also no telling what agencies or talent scouts who may have their eyes on her now. Anyone could be waiting to take Marie off Eva's hands once she's done with her
After the bender she's on? Unlikely.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 am
Yes, but why is Ingrid wanting to be a model that difficult to believe. She has the look and Zoe has eyes. She claims she's done with proteges, but this be her way of challenging Ingrid to impress her with some sign of commitment. Now I will admit Ingrid's desire to become a model to try and help Marie seems a little far fetched since she didn't seem to have that strong of a bond with her, but she could have other motivations too.
I have no trouble believing that Ingrid wants to help Marie. She seems a nice enough person and is a friend. I have no problem believing that she could become a model. She’s drawn as gorgeous.

The problem is the weird intervening chains of “logic”. “Marie won’t listen to me because she’s angry and depressed and acting out; therefore I will get the same job as her, which will overcome those problems.” “Zoé doesn’t want any more protégés; therefore I will cut my hair — that’ll convince her!”

Do you really believe either of those “logical” leaps??
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:41 am
After the bender she's on? Unlikely.
Boozing has never stopped Sandra from landing a job, has it? :-\

The same can be said for quite a few Hollywood celebrities, who have had drug and alcohol problems. Yet, many still have, or have had successful careers regardless.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Sandra got her shit together, as we saw in the montage.

And you seem to be very misinformed, since drugs and alcohol addiction has destroyed many careers in Hollywood, or just outright ended lives.

Lindsay Lohan isn't exactly the big star she once was.

And we're talking about models, not actors. So don't move the goal post.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:11 pm
Sandra got her shit together, as we saw in the montage.

And you seem to be very misinformed, since drugs and alcohol addiction has destroyed many careers in Hollywood, or just outright ended lives.
Sandra was still landing big gigs before then. Case in point: she became the new face/model for Karmen Chemeila during the time she was stil drinking. And guess whose face is on the cover of DM Games newest release?

Nor was I moving goalposts. You said boozing and partying would end Marie's career chances. Yet, Sandra was doing the same thing and now has several promising careers in fashion modelling, mo-capping, and acting.

Also, you might wanna take a closer look at Hollywood 'cuz many big name celebs have admitted to struggling with various forms of addiction during their careers, and many of them are still successful.
Last edited by Gotoh on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

It depends on the person and the circumstances really.

For example: Keith Richards is well known for his drug habits (like Robin Williams said, he is the only man that can snort anthrax and be cool), and he is still going, he even has a Netflix special... Meanwhile, Whitney Houston's career went downhill with her drug habit and she died because of it...

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@rogermart: Sad, but true. I grew up watching Williams on 'Mork & Mindy'. :(

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

rogermart wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 pm

For example: Keith Richards is well known for his drug habits (like Robin Williams said, he is the only man that can snort anthrax and be cool), and he is still going, he even has a Netflix special... Meanwhile, Whitney Houston's career went downhill with her drug habit and she died because of it...
Rockers are expected to look dissolute and wasted, at least up to the point where they go all Pete Doherty and are too much of a pain in the arse to bother with. Models are expected to be in the right place at the right time, looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and doing as they’re told.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Which is another reason comparing models and celebrities doesn't work.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:15 pm
rogermart wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Rockers are expected to look dissolute and wasted, at least up to the point where they go all Pete Doherty and are too much of a pain in the arse to bother with. Models are expected to be in the right place at the right time, looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and doing as they’re told.
And there are drugs for that as well. But that's not my point.

My point was that both Sandra and Marie can hit the booze and have two different outcomes because it depends on the person and the circumstances.