2018-09-04 Next thing we knew...

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Lokitsu

Re: 2018-09-04 Next thing we knew...

Post by Lokitsu »

I've noticed that most of the pixie trix characters have a problem with incompetence drift. They start off moderately smart, but their accumulated actions eventually imply that they're dumber than a sack of hammers. There are exceptions of course: Ruby and Amber come to mind. But, I think its that when push comes to shove, cheap laughs win over common sense and character development.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Lokitsu wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm
There are exceptions of course: Ruby and Amber come to mind.
For EC and MC, competency was the norm. Layla, her parents, Ace, Brooke, Twiggit, Tiff, and Tia were all shown to be reasonably smart, and capable planners. You can also add Faith and Sandi to that list, along with Ash. They all suffered setbacks but, more often than not, they knew what they were doing and believed in open communication. It's one of the main reasons that I preferred the *C-verse comics (excluding DC) over the Má3 related ones.
Last edited by Gotoh on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Lokitsu wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm
I've noticed that most of the pixie trix characters have a problem with incompetence drift. They start off moderately smart, but their accumulated actions eventually imply that they're dumber than a sack of hammers. There are exceptions of course: Ruby and Amber come to mind. But, I think its that when push comes to shove, cheap laughs win over common sense and character development.
Uh-huh; it's been that way for a long time. Comedy always trumps consistency, and stupidity is always assumed to be funny. Or to put it another way, the idiot ball in this universe is large and sticky.

It's slightly less obtrusive in SDB, which is very much a story about a bunch of people helping each other get their shit together in various ways, but the idiot ball bounces around there, too.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

So, Marie is basically just trying to get Alex to look at her, yeah? I'd say plastering her body all over magazines and billboards is a decent approach.
**== **== **== **==

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Valkog wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 pm
So, Marie is basically just trying to get Alex to look at her, yeah? I'd say plastering her body all over magazines and billboards is a decent approach.
That may be it. But, then again, Eva's idea of hooking Marie was empowering her after she found out Alex was making out with 'Jean' and told her to picture slapping him in the face to get her in the right attitude.

So who knows? She definitely seems to have embrace that idea when she slapped Zoe.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Cortez wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:19 am
Fluffy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm

What brazen balls does Zoe have to have in order to think she has any right to tell Marie to quit a job she was clearly enjoying?
You mean self destructingly partying?

And you all that this all ends whith Zoe being right, yeah? It's so obvious.
Well, obviously Zoe's right that a self destructive lifestyle isn't healthy - for anyone.

But the point is, Zoe is not Marie's boss/mentor/parent - Hell, she isn't even her friend. She's just a model who thinks she can control anyone she damned well pleases and had only just recently (at that time) sent an actual friend/idol of Marie's packing without warning. Thinking she could tell Marie to knock off with the partying lifestyle - and actually expect her to listen without question - was incredibly audacious of her.

Hence why I think - despite being right about the situation - Zoe definitely deserved that slap. Hell, I'd be rooting for Marie to give her a swift kick in the rump, while she was at it.

Next to Sandra, Zoe was my other fave characters in this comic. However, much like I am with Sandra, I'm not so much a fan that I don't want to see her face consequences for inherently stupid/cocky behavior.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 pm
Well, obviously Zoe's right that a self destructive lifestyle isn't healthy - for anyone.

But the point is, Zoe is not Marie's boss/mentor/parent - Hell, she isn't even her friend. She's just a model who thinks she can control anyone she damned well pleases and had only just recently (at that time) sent an actual friend/idol of Marie's packing without warning. Thinking she could tell Marie to knock off with the partying lifestyle - and actually expect her to listen without question - was incredibly audacious of her.

Hence why I think - despite being right about the situation - Zoe definitely deserved that slap. Hell, I'd be rooting for Marie to give her a swift kick in the rump, while she was at it.

Next to Sandra, Zoe was my other fave characters in this comic. However, much like I am with Sandra, I'm not so much a fan that I don't want to see her face consequences for inherently stupid/cocky behavior.
I think what has to be remembered is that Zoe learned that Marie's become Eva's protege, whom the former has a rivalry with, and is probably aware of how she practices modeling.

She had already given Marie a (rather harsh) warning about getting into modeling the easy way - the Eva Way. Now with learning who her mentor is, she wanted to put a stop to it before the (admittedly) gullible teenage girl burns out. Because, let's face it, if this were the real world, Marie wouldn't be too far away from substance abuse with her new lifestyle.

Attitude aside, Zoe cares about Marie's well-being, and has probably seen dozens of girls fall apart due to the harsh ways of the modeling world during her time as an active one, and doesn't want to see the same happen to such a promising girl.