2014-10-24 Lazybutt

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Vaken

Re: 2014-10-24 Lazybutt

Post by Vaken »

brasca wrote:You don't find many English people named Lavali.
Well, there was a british empire once, you know ;)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Lavali and Marie! :x :x :x :x :x :x
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

That last panel =)) =)) =)) I love Marie, she is so helpful. :D :x
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:Until we know what these three English-speakers are actually doing studying and working in Paris, frankly, all bets about their domestic arrangements are wide open.

I'd kind of like to see all this resolved soon, in passing, really; I can't believe that the reveal will be so stunning that it's worth keeping the audience in ignorance.
And then Eloise came back, still angry, to meet her flatmate after a night at her girlfriend's place ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Stunning. Marie just needs to raise her hands in a supplicating gesture, and Alex gets tossed telekinetically out of the bed! :-o
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

brasca wrote:
Spidrift wrote: these three English-speakers .
I concede that Marie is English, but what makes you think Lavali and Alex are? You don't find many English people named Lavali.
English-speakers. The absence of <quote marks> shows they're speaking English. Compare Eloise and Nadine's speech.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I know they're speaking English, but that doesn't mean they all come from England. Marie has used enough English slang that she likely originated from there, but it's also possible that Alex and Lavali are from the many different places the British used to control. It's nice to keep things ambiguous so as not to paint oneself into a corner, but I don't know what voice to assign to which character when I read this.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:I concede that Marie is English, but what makes you think Lavali and Alex are? You don't find many English people named Lavali.
Alex and Marie have been friends since childhood, and speak English when they're together. So if Marie is English, it looks like Alex almost certainly is too.

(Why has Lavali got a name of Indian origin? Search me. Despite the Empire, ethnic Brits don't usually go for Indian names, and Alex and Lavali look Caucasian to me. Hippyish parents, most likely.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Mutant for Hire

Post by Mutant for Hire »

Azrael wrote:Okay. Apparently Marie lives there, too.
Having watched countless anime, I know for a fact that childhood friends are allowed to invade your bedroom and wake them up, though usually they're a bit more tsundere about it.

Hopefully he doesn't have any morning wood.

Kirtai

Post by Kirtai »

You mean tsundere like this? :)

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Okay now there needs to be a new third character that tosses Alex out of bed. :))

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Easy, Sandra will be the one who does it :ymdevil:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

rpr

Post by rpr »

FlashD81 wrote:Easy, Sandra will be the one who does it :ymdevil:
Add my vote!

Dorje Sylas

Post by Dorje Sylas »

themacnut wrote:Ah yes, a young male slacker's worst nightmare; being surrounded by sisters (and/or sister-figures) who have taken a maternal interest in him. You might think this is a good thing, but this comic clearly shows it's not so good for the slacker himself.
Well if that blog is bringing in enough extra household revenue it's kinda hard to call him a slacker for basically doing his job. Depending on when those interviews ended and if he had to do any post-work on them, he could have only just entered the first REM cycle and only been asleep for a little under two hours.
themacnut wrote:Though personally, I think Marie just flipped him out of bed for the fun of it. Fun for her, that is.
I would agree with this. Tough love is how you get oblivious people to notice you exist right... :-\ I digress. It is really fun flipping sleepy people out of beds. :D

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
brasca wrote:I concede that Marie is English, but what makes you think Lavali and Alex are? You don't find many English people named Lavali.
Alex and Marie have been friends since childhood, and speak English when they're together. So if Marie is English, it looks like Alex almost certainly is too.

(Why has Lavali got a name of Indian origin? Search me. Despite the Empire, ethnic Brits don't usually go for Indian names, and Alex and Lavali look Caucasian to me. Hippyish parents, most likely.)
Or parents just liked the name. Not all parents pick common names.