2014-09-02 That was wonnnnnnderful

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Bambikles

Re: 2014-09-02 That was wonnnnnnderful

Post by Bambikles »

Indeed, that would open a whole new dimension for "cheap". or "easy". Or "miserly". errrr. Got lost while writing I guess. 8-}

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

Don Alexander wrote:Come on, seriously?

Just give her the baked goods and get the money at some later time.

You just banged her amongst the comestibles, that should allow for a wee bit of trust!
Pierre's stern expression, and Sandra's embarrassment (more evident in the next panel) seem to me to be the whole point of the joke in this particular strip.

Obviously Pierre is a top-notch professional baker *FIRST* and a lover *SECOND*...regardless of the circumstances...

I wonder if this will continue with Sandra marching back across the street (with €3) and back to the apartment yet again (with the croissant and tartelette), still wearing nothing but flour?

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

The challenge was to BUY baked goods, and not get them for free. Sandra had no choice but to go back and get some money.

A truly hilarious screw-up! =))

ThePonyGuy

Post by ThePonyGuy »

Wouldn't getting them for free be an even greater indication of modelling ability?

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

No, it would be an indication that Sandra can get what she wants just by being a slut.

(Putting on flame proof suit now) :p

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

uhm....Paris bakery? 3 Euros??? WHAT??????????????? more like 7 LOL. Likely Pierre is making a ton of money in volume if his goods are of standard quality but his prices are that low.

Either that or the prices in Italy are far worse than Paris

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote: Pierre's stern expression, and Sandra's embarrassment (more evident in the next panel) seem to me to be the whole point of the joke in this particular strip.
Pierre's expression is not supposed to be a stern expression but a perplexed expression, hence the "?" Dialogue balloon above him dictating that he does not know why Sandra looked so shocked.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Aw shucks, I would hate to see Sandra and Pierre breaking up just because of a little amount of money.
:(

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Nah, it'll just give Pierre something else to tease Sandra about when he's flirting with her.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Milnoc wrote:No, it would be an indication that Sandra can get what she wants just by being a slut.

I realize that you are making a joke, but I have personally never understood people that have this mindset. Misogyny aside, chastising women for a willingness to engage in a little fun seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't this be a behavior that I would like to encourage?

After 14 years of marriage, I have enough problems convincing my wife to have as much fun as I would like to have. I'm glad I don't have to search for available women who are both inclined to such behavior with me and trusting enough that I won't be a jerk afterwards.
I believe in the Bread Fairy.

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

crimzontearz wrote:uhm....Paris bakery? 3 Euros??? WHAT??????????????? more like 7 LOL. Likely Pierre is making a ton of money in volume if his goods are of standard quality but his prices are that low.

You don't seem to live in Paris, these are normal price here, and buying a "croissant" for more than 1 euros, is well, too much for someone who use to live here.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ronbo wrote:
Milnoc wrote:No, it would be an indication that Sandra can get what she wants just by being a slut.

I realize that you are making a joke, but I have personally never understood people that have this mindset. Misogyny aside, chastising women for a willingness to engage in a little fun seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't this be a behavior that I would like to encourage?
Well, if we're being literal, having sex for payment - be it in money or in kind - is the literal definition of a prostitute (regardless of whether the one doing it for payment is male *OR* female, I hasten to point out!!!)

ronbo

Post by ronbo »

Spidrift wrote:Given that Sandra was lining up to appoint Alex as her replacement Geekery Adviser, I don't think that we'll see another Ma3/SotR crossover especially soon.
Just from a literary standpoint, I would think another crossover this soon would be stretching things. SotR has strong characters that can stand on their own and need to be developed. The writers don't need other characters coming in and stealing the spotlight. They are only on the second issue and they have had one long crossover and now they are making major changes in the character's lives. These characters deserve their time to shine.
I believe in the Bread Fairy.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

xetalon wrote:
crimzontearz wrote:uhm....Paris bakery? 3 Euros??? WHAT??????????????? more like 7 LOL. Likely Pierre is making a ton of money in volume if his goods are of standard quality but his prices are that low.

You don't seem to live in Paris, these are normal price here, and buying a "croissant" for more than 1 euros, is well, too much for someone who use to live here.
no, but I lived in Padua and Venice (from which I JUST came back actually). Croissant and tartlette > 3 Euros....depends on where you are actually. I mean buy them in St Marco Square and it's oing to be 10 Euros

Also....

am I the only one wondering how uncomfortable flour can be during sex??

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Spidrift wrote:Talking of which - three euros for a croissant and a tartelette from a high-end boulangerie in the posh bit of Paris? Either Pierre is giving her a discount, or he's not making any money.
Especially since the croissant alone costs two euros, probably for being made with Isigny butter or something.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.