August Contests discussion thread! VOTE HERE TOO!!!

Past glories of the forum.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Which girl sported the coolest fake beard?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:08 am

Fen
55%
Liliana
45%

Total votes: 22

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: August Contests discussion thread! VOTE HERE TOO!!!

Post by yiraheerai »

I'm 26 and my mother's apparently found greys in my hair.

Somehow, I am completely unperturbed.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

No dye for men! Just trimming. I just don't know if you can only trim the white parts without it becoming...patchy.

And it's ok. You're young enough for me.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Why is that last comment disturbing?? :-?

Also, I landed in Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, or what? :P

No offense to queers or straights intended.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Fen wrote:No dye for men!
/:)

They can just dye it a different colour than the natural hair, or just the grey part of it. So it look likes they just want something different and fashionable. :p
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Unless it's on a mowhawk, dye for men==big no no.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I started going gray at 16 - no lie. I was going into my senior year of high school, and I happened to spot a big ol' silver hair sprouting from the front of my bangs. Those who meet me in person can see that particular spot has become a clump of silver hair... or as I've heard it called, a "witch's mark". Plus, I don't like dying my hair. I have very odd hair because I'm of mixed ethnicity, which makes it difficult to control in the first place. Dying it makes it worse. (I've played around with hair dye when I was younger, dying it black and auburn at times.) Also, I hate how it looks as it grows out. And when you start to make appointments to the hair parlor to touch up your dye job... you have to hand in your man card. It's the law. Plus, I'm told that the salt 'n pepper look of my beard doesn't look bad in person.

Nibler's advice about trimming along the cheekbone is the only one I've considered. I already kept it trim at the bottom, where I shave it clean just beneath the jawline which helps give the beard definition. I'm just concerned that if I trim that upper part of my beard it will look TOO manicured, which I've seen on other guys. Also, if I slightly goof when trimming the bottom part of my beard at the jawline, it's more difficult to notice. Right there at my cheek? Really easy to spot. And considering I'd be trying to do this without my glasses on, I almost guarantee that I'd goof it up sooner rather than later. *smirks*
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

Then just use some clippers to keep it a little bit shorter than that in the picture you submitted and you're good to go :)
(BTW: That was MY advice, demmit! :p)
Fen wrote:And it's ok. You're young enough for me.
I iz older than Yooouuu! :p
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, I started seeing some greying around the temples earlier this year, but that's not my biggest concern with my hair.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

I have a small gray patch right under my lower lip in my beard, but its barely visible unless you look for it, but I'm more worried about my hair getting a little thinner in the middle front.
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

That last part is the same reason why I keep it this short, Nibler.

I've got some gray hairs at the sides of my head, and one or two in my goatee... but that doesn't bother me at all.
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

I had a friend who's beard was getting very salt-n-pepper, and he decided to dye it. Unfortunately, he didn't do anything with the rest of his hair, which while not nearly as bad as the beard was showing his age a bit, and he appeared to have gone and found the blackest hair dye he could find. Was possitively ridiculous.

Me, I would be happy if I don't follow my dad's path. He grew two very grey patches in his mustashe right under his nostrils... #-o
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

I was going to compete in this one, but my upload was malfunctioning, along with other reasons. I have to say, though, I had a mad moustache. :p
The iceman cometh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

*reads 'J''s anti-ship*

*slow clapping ensues*

:ymapplause:

That. Was. Awesome.

I also really liked Lighthawk's story, very well written. :-bd

I enjoyed the others too. :)

Though I detect a slight tendency to focus a) on EC (with a bit of MC) anf b) on lesbianism. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo really?? :p

and dont forget a pony camoe
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Damn. The talk made me actually read J's post. It's the first fanfic I've actually managed to read till the end. Well played sir. A thousand internets for you.