2014-03-30 [VC] Heather Gets a Baby Sister

Meet 5 hungry vampires who sure know how to show their school spirit...and the wacky crew of monster hunters out to get them!

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: 2014-03-30 [VC] Heather Gets a Baby Sister

Post by Adam_Arnold »

gman wrote:Are we ever going to find out exactly what happened to Candice during the time period she has been gone? Because if she was alive (more or less), then where has she been this whole time? I just hope this gets squared away.
Paranormal Mystery Squad was set-up to have the macro plotline for the entire series, so the intention was to phase out Vampire Cheerleaders and continue that half of the series as "Vampire Cheerleaders Presents Frankenbitches," which would've featured Candice and a harem of Frankenstein girls. It was originally meant to be the back-up that went with the Vampire Cheerleaders Must Die! story, but was shuffled when the entire series had to be rejiggered to work as a single webcomic under the "Vampire Cheerleaders" name. I wrote a character bible and two scenes of Frankenbitches, which I'll try to share at some point.

There was also talk of doing a "Vampire Cheerleaders Presents Hoes From Hell."

Hodag

Post by Hodag »

Hyper Magi wrote:http://www.vampirecheerleaders.net/stri ... aby_sister

Right.

Chilling in the flame bunker right now. Anyone care to join me?

HA HA HA HA HA!!!
I called it.

:ymdevil:

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Polokun wrote:Dude, the guy has been doing this since this comic started. He obviously knows just how much people dont like the VC and Heather especially.

He just doesn't care.
Oh, he cares. He just knows that people luuurve the VC, especially when they do things like this, and hate PMS... except us Web 1.0 dweebs.

Gaze upon our future, folks.

Tython

Post by Tython »

Blame the facebook readers cause apparently they put more money into the bank for them and they love the cheerleaders so obviously the writers/company go where the money is.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Adam Arnold wrote:PETM has bodyguards watching over the Vampire Cheerleaders now that J.C. Summerfield has taken over the organization. Think of them as just there to keep the VC contained and to protect them against any low-level vampire hunters like Tiffany Winters. With PMS disbanded, it also became a good place to give Katie an outlet for her grief as Katie and Lita could "help" keep tabs on the cheerleaders as well, among other things.
http://www.vampirecheerleaders.net/stri ... uick_snack
Interesting, though it makes me curious how effective they are when Suki is apparently still routinely glamouring her teachers. Clearly she has the bodyguards seduced and in the palm of her hands but Katie, Charlotte etc. should be another matter.
The reason this 2-part strip exists is so I could put a pin in the dangling plot thread of the baby and to show one more event that happened between the end of the prom and the time travel arc. Anything not shown involving the parents is open to interpretation as it doesn't impact the current storyline.
Well that is some relief, as I currently do trust that Katie and the others care enough to check on things. Still leaves me disappointed in the lack of info on if there is actually meant to be anything more to Heather's character than what we see, and the disconnect in not knowing how to feel about strips like the current 2 parter.

Many thanks for the reply.

<><><>

Well putting gripes aside, here's some stuff I like about the space and time arc:

1. More Suki characterization, including real empathy from her and semi-realistic damage from the past trauma inflicted by the gorgon.
2. Leonard showing how he could indeed be relatively happy as a thrall given even with his mind fully free he is doing a lot of the same things. Sad for him perhaps, but if it is his own choice... well he could do worse.
3. The way Leonard reuniting with Lesley and Zoe was depicted, showing how despite all that happened between them there is genuine affection and friendship there. He wasn't simply a sex toy and blood doll, they did like him despite their twisted ways of showing it.

The last one is especially noteworthy in that they barely remembered the events of the prom and yet recognized and remembered Leonard immediately. To stick in an immortal's mind is quite an accomplishment.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Adam Arnold wrote:
Varanus wrote:It's just hard to believe that the PMS would allow Heather to keep doing this when Katie is going to the same school and is on the same cheerleading team. Heck the very fact that everyone knows they are vampires now should make it harder for them to get away with glamouring anyone (and yet Suki is apparently able to do it with her teachers somehow, but presumably it is a temporary state that keeps suspicions from arising).

PETM has bodyguards watching over the Vampire Cheerleaders now that J.C. Summerfield has taken over the organization. Think of them as just there to keep the VC contained and to protect them against any low-level vampire hunters like Tiffany Winters. With PMS disbanded, it also became a good place to give Katie an outlet for her grief as Katie and Lita could "help" keep tabs on the cheerleaders as well, among other things.
http://www.vampirecheerleaders.net/stri ... uick_snack

Thank for the answers.

But, is Leonard doing anything to stop Heather from turning more girls? What about their parents? Those are underaged girls...shouldn't their parents be making a huge fuss? Shouldn't the parents of all the other children be taking their offspring away from that place where their kids are turned into bloodsuckers? How can the school still operate under those conditions? Wouldn't be easier to protect Heather from wannabe vampire hunters if she were just moved to another school under a fake name, rather that allow her to keep stoking the fears and hate of the locals?

Adam Arnold wrote:
Or are we to believe NONE of them cared enough to EVER check on Heather's parents in all these months?
The reason this 2-part strip exists is so I could put a pin in the dangling plot thread of the baby and to show one more event that happened between the end of the prom and the time travel arc. Anything not shown involving the parents is open to interpretation as it doesn't impact the current storyline.
Two strips? So, things are going to end like this? Heather keeps her parents as slaves and cattle forever? And the baby is raised by zombies?

This is depressing, very, very, very depressing. And it ends the VC story leaving us with a horrible impression of Heather, and of J.C. Summerfield, who allows her to keep causing mischief.
Adam Arnold wrote:
gman wrote:Are we ever going to find out exactly what happened to Candice during the time period she has been gone? Because if she was alive (more or less), then where has she been this whole time? I just hope this gets squared away.
Paranormal Mystery Squad was set-up to have the macro plotline for the entire series, so the intention was to phase out Vampire Cheerleaders and continue that half of the series as "Vampire Cheerleaders Presents Frankenbitches," which would've featured Candice and a harem of Frankenstein girls. It was originally meant to be the back-up that went with the Vampire Cheerleaders Must Die! story, but was shuffled when the entire series had to be rejiggered to work as a single webcomic under the "Vampire Cheerleaders" name. I wrote a character bible and two scenes of Frankenbitches, which I'll try to share at some point.

There was also talk of doing a "Vampire Cheerleaders Presents Hoes From Hell."
Those storylines sound like they would have been quite enjoyable, specially the "Frankenbitches" one. Why were these ditched?
Sk'thloq wrote:If you people hate this comic so much, why the hell do you continue reading it?
I'm enjoying the current time-traveling storyline quite a lot. The three characters involved have become quite likeable. And I have always loved Charlotte, I think Lita is hilarious and I find the PMS quite funny and enjoyable (Katie and Steph are sometimes kind of jerk-y, but they are jerks mostly to each other and never really hurt anybody who doesn't deserve it, so it's okay and fun in my book)

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Tako wrote:But, is Leonard doing anything to stop Heather from turning more girls? What about their parents? Those are underaged girls...shouldn't their parents be making a huge fuss? Shouldn't the parents of all the other children be taking their offspring away from that place where their kids are turned into bloodsuckers? How can the school still operate under those conditions? Wouldn't be easier to protect Heather from wannabe vampire hunters if she were just moved to another school under a fake name, rather that allow her to keep stoking the fears and hate of the locals?
Perhaps they aren't hated by the locals? That PETM is so powerful in this world suggests there are a lot of people who are okay with monsters living around them provided they aren't killing anybody (and in some cases seemingly even if they are). If they are indeed "contained" and kept an eye on then perhaps they have become something like local celebraties.

And given there is no cure for vampirism beyond gorgon blood, if the B squad went and offered to become vampires there isn't much anybody can do after the fact, especially given the special legal status cryptids seem to have. I doubt Heather would refuse her teammates a transformation given her own high opinion of being a vampire. Being underage doesn't seem to be that much of a factor in whatever morals she may have.
Two strips? So, things are going to end like this? Heather keeps her parents as slaves and cattle forever? And the baby is raised by zombies?

This is depressing, very, very, very depressing. And it ends the VC story leaving us with a horrible impression of Heather, and of J.C. Summerfield, who allows her to keep causing mischief.
He didn't say that though. All we know is what happened in this two part strip. I took him saying that anything else that happened wasn't relevant to the current story to mean it is at least possible that J.C. or others DID do something about the situation with Heather's parents, Adam is just neither confirming or denying it.

The mischief we know continued is that Suki is glamouring teachers (and yet wasn't allowed to graduate) and seducing/feeding on her bodyguards.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Varanus wrote:
Tako wrote:But, is Leonard doing anything to stop Heather from turning more girls? What about their parents? Those are underaged girls...shouldn't their parents be making a huge fuss? Shouldn't the parents of all the other children be taking their offspring away from that place where their kids are turned into bloodsuckers? How can the school still operate under those conditions? Wouldn't be easier to protect Heather from wannabe vampire hunters if she were just moved to another school under a fake name, rather that allow her to keep stoking the fears and hate of the locals?
Perhaps they aren't hated by the locals? That PETM is so powerful in this world suggests there are a lot of people who are okay with monsters living around them provided they aren't killing anybody (and in some cases seemingly even if they are). If they are indeed "contained" and kept an eye on then perhaps they have become something like local celebraties.

And given there is no cure for vampirism beyond gorgon blood, if the B squad went and offered to become vampires there isn't much anybody can do after the fact, especially given the special legal status cryptids seem to have. I doubt Heather would refuse her teammates a transformation given her own high opinion of being a vampire. Being underage doesn't seem to be that much of a factor in whatever morals she may have.
Those people escaped terrorized when the VC were outed as vampires. And Heather's parents must have told their neighbours that Heather was keeping them enslaved. Same for the parents of the other VC. Taking into account those precedents, I can't see the parents of the rest of the students being happy about their children being turned into vampires.

Also, you have to take into account that, if Heather keeps creating new vampires, those will need more and more blood. Maybe Summerfield can convince the locals to "donate" some blood now and then, maybe even paying them, but not everybody will be willing to give blood, and even those who are willing may refuse to do it constantly for the rest of their lives.

Summerfield should, at the very least, stop Heather's enslaving of her parents and demand that she gets permission from the parents of the other girls before turning them (without using mind control to get said permission, of course); he has the power to force Heather to do that, since he is legally authorized to cage her. If he doesn't even do that, he isn't "containing" anything.
Varanus wrote:

He didn't say that though. All we know is what happened in this two part strip. I took him saying that anything else that happened wasn't relevant to the current story to mean it is at least possible that J.C. or others DID do something about the situation with Heather's parents, Adam is just neither confirming or denying it.
But what is the point of these two strips, then? The only new information they offer is that the baby is indeed born and that Heather re-enslaves her parents. Of those two pieces of information, only the latter is relevant. I guess there was a chance that Heather's mom had a miscarriage, but I never gave too much thought to that and assumed that, unless we were told otherwise, the baby was born.

The only pieces of information that the comic has given us are that Heather re-enslaves her parents and that she isn't stopped or punished and is allowed to keep creating more vampires to make her cheerleading routine intead. For the reader who hasn't checked the forums, there is zero reason to think that Heather is stopped. The strip itself doesn't give an ambiguous ending, it just shows Heather re-enslaving her parents, period.

The thing, is, it would be easy to redeem Heather at least partially. She was halfway there after being punished with the Gorgon's torture and being forgiven by her parents. All she had to do was to accept getting grounded for a while and making amends with her parents. Some readers would still demand her to be punished, but many more would smile at the happy end...and then we got this step back into darkness.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm being subject to an elaborate social experiment, that Heather was created a sweet-looking, cute character who is treated by everybody as she were a good, nice girl but who does really evil things in order to test if the readers will side with her because she is presented as a sympathetic character despite her evil deeds, or if the readers will hate her despite her cuteness.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Tako wrote:Those storylines sound like they would have been quite enjoyable, specially the "Frankenbitches" one. Why were these ditched?
It was going to cost too much to have two different series running concurrently with two different art/toning/lettering teams, so Seven Seas nixed it.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Tako wrote:The only pieces of information that the comic has given us are that Heather re-enslaves her parents and that she isn't stopped or punished and is allowed to keep creating more vampires to make her cheerleading routine intead. For the reader who hasn't checked the forums, there is zero reason to think that Heather is stopped. The strip itself doesn't give an ambiguous ending, it just shows Heather re-enslaving her parents, period.

The thing, is, it would be easy to redeem Heather at least partially. She was halfway there after being punished with the Gorgon's torture and being forgiven by her parents. All she had to do was to accept getting grounded for a while and making amends with her parents. Some readers would still demand her to be punished, but many more would smile at the happy end...and then we got this step back into darkness.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm being subject to an elaborate social experiment, that Heather was created a sweet-looking, cute character who is treated by everybody as she were a good, nice girl but who does really evil things in order to test if the readers will side with her because she is presented as a sympathetic character despite her evil deeds, or if the readers will hate her despite her cuteness.
Just to be clear I am not defending the portrayal and I still dislike Heather. I'm just glad there is even a small chance that some of these issues do get handled off screen. It's small comfort but beggers can't be choosers.

Nightgazer Starlight

Post by Nightgazer Starlight »

Will everyone stop dissing Heather!

I just don't get it.

What's with all the dislike?

She's kind, nice, sweet, cute, sexy too.

In short Heather is just sooo wonderful.

At the prom she put herself in danger protecting Lori from Stephanie because she cares.

She is the perfect girlfriend... truly now.

At least I'd like to have her as my girlfriend if she was actually real.

I know that she is a good girl and deserves better than she has gotten.
---

Signature

My fanfics can be found right here.

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Linvega

Post by Linvega »

Aaand there is the part where the first thing she asked when she was turned, was when tey start killing. And she was ridiculing the friend who tried to warn her. Aaand she stole her parents minds when things weren't going her way. And she forced her mother into pregnancy so she could have a new toy...

You know what? I would like her to be your girlfriend to. She would turn you into zombie on the first argument and you wouldn't come here for obvious trolling :ymdevil:

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

So much I could say about the Nightgazers latest post. All I will say is - active imagination.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Nightgazer Starlight

Post by Nightgazer Starlight »

Linvega wrote:Aaand there is the part where the first thing she asked when she was turned, was when tey start killing.
She said "something", not "someone". She meant a dog or a cat. She was not talking about people then.
Linvega wrote:And she was ridiculing the friend who tried to warn her.
Leonard was being a pest in the way he did that. And she didn't care anyway about warning. She ignored him because she hoped his suspicions were true because deep down she wanted them to be vampires so she could get turned then.
Linvega wrote:Aaand she stole her parents minds when things weren't going her way.
Go back to the panel when she returned home after she was turned. Her mother didn't care about the fact her arm was smoking and about to burst into flame and that she was hurting her by dragging her into the house. She only cared about berating her for the way she was dressed right then too.
Linvega wrote:And she forced her mother into pregnancy so she could have a new toy...
See above and it's obvious Heather's mother deserved what she got for what she did to Heather right then and probably years too.
Linvega wrote:You know what? I would like her to be your girlfriend to. She would turn you into zombie on the first argument and you wouldn't come here for obvious trolling :ymdevil:
I'm not trolling. I'm just defending her here. Someone has to since you all seem to blame her for everything that went wrong.
---

Signature

My fanfics can be found right here.

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Malkizid

Post by Malkizid »

Well, you have a very...active imagination, I will give you that. None of the above things have any basis in whatever plot and character development that has actually occured.
You like Heather, we get that, but you need to take a few steps back and realize that none of the things you claim about Heather has any basis in the plot.

Either that, or you are trolling. My guess is on the latter.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent