The Society for the Appreciation of Didi and Zii

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dryope

Re: The Society for the Appreciation of Didi and Zii

Post by Dryope »

It's okay, you're not the first internet denizen to mistake me for a boy. Apparently my love of pink and sparklies doesn't come through when chatting online.

Anyway, topic at hand: Didi and Zii should be a couple. I mean, at the moment things seem poised for at least one of them to end up with Gary simply because he's the protagonist. But if truth be told I have a mild dislike for "Geeky/loser/slob guy ends up with the hot girl" trope that has been helped along by all the guys who claim that any cute girl who rejects them is obviously shallow when, in fact, they seem to think they're entitled to date someone cute without putting any effort into their own appearance and health. *cough*thishashappenedtomorethanonegirlI'mfriendswith*cough* And so Gary is a casualty in my hatred of this particular type of relationship story. I'd much prefer the two girls get together, as I consider them to be closer to equal than either is with Gary. Also, as I've mentioned before, the addition of lesbians has never hurt a webcomic. =D

I wonder what Zii's punk friends would say if she dated someone as seemingly "mainstream" (or at least not obviously alternative) as Didi? D=
ImageImage

Zook

Post by Zook »

Dryope wrote:It's okay, you're not the first internet denizen to mistake me for a boy. Apparently my love of pink and sparklies doesn't come through when chatting online.

Anyway, topic at hand: Didi and Zii should be a couple. I mean, at the moment things seem poised for at least one of them to end up with Gary simply because he's the protagonist. But if truth be told I have a mild dislike for "Geeky/loser/slob guy ends up with the hot girl" trope that has been helped along by all the guys who claim that any cute girl who rejects them is obviously shallow when, in fact, they seem to think they're entitled to date someone cute without putting any effort into their own appearance and health. *cough*thishashappenedtomorethanonegirlI'mfriendswith*cough* And so Gary is a casualty in my hatred of this particular type of relationship story. I'd much prefer the two girls get together, as I consider them to be closer to equal than either is with Gary. Also, as I've mentioned before, the addition of lesbians has never hurt a webcomic. =D

I wonder what Zii's punk friends would say if she dated someone as seemingly "mainstream" (or at least not obviously alternative) as Didi? D=
You're right DiDi sure does deserve someone whu puts a little effort into her appearance, like Zi for example with her torn everywhere T-shirt, dog collar and second hand jeans...er, aw forget it. Even with that wardrobe she's still cuter then Gary. Go get her Zi!

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

Zii wears make up and dog collars are accessories: I posit that this shows at least some concern with her appearance. Besides, keeping that unique dye job in check would require some effort, I would imagine.

However, I am terribly biased. I admit it. ^_^;
ImageImage

Harlock_the_Bard

Post by Harlock_the_Bard »

Heh. Yeah, the anonymity of the internet can cause gender identity to become a bit... fluid. I find it tremendously amusing that, unless I actually post biographical information in a forum (or chat message), most people assume that I'm male or female based strictly on my nickname. Mind you, I generally don't "speak" any differently depending on whether I'm Erindrea or Harlock, but based on my observations, people tend to assume I'm female if I'm logged in as Erindrea and male if I'm logged in as Harlock.

As for the geek/hot girl trope, it should be noted that the guys who only want to date hot girls are just as shallow as the hot girls who reject them for being geeks/slobs. Unfortunately, biology and the media have ganged up on people with the message that hotness should be everybody's number one criteria in a mate. FWIW, neither my spouse nor I are likely to grace the cover of a fashion magazine any time soon, but we both clean up quite nicely... when we care to dress up. But for the most part, we prefer comfort over fashion, so neither of us is prone to turning heads.

Heh. Maybe I ought to change my login to "Vaarsuvius" after this post. (name used without Rich Burlew's permission, but I think he'd find it amusing)

--Harlock, Bard Extraordinaire--

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

I should probably clarify: I like geeky boys with glasses. I have never dated a guy who wasn't scrawny and bespectacled. It's only when the guy asking shows no interest in working out or dressing in more than t-shirts (even when going someplace nice) that I have to ask if our priorities are the same. And to be perfectly fair I don't know enough about Gary's health-related habits to make any sort of judgement on him in particular. It just seems to me that too frequently in pop culture it's expected that the girl will be hot and the guy will be average. I rarely encounter the reverse, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Still, I would've thought more people'd be interested in Zii and Didi getting together.

Once, when I was about 18, I was chatting with someone who had found my aim through my website, which at the time used about ten different shades of pink in the background plus had a different shade of pink as the font (yeah, it was awful. I know.) My chat font was pink. Although I recall he mentioned early on being male I must not have felt compelled to tell him my gender immediately, because it wasn't until late in the conversation (after discussing hawt j-rock boys) that it came up. And he was shocked.

"I thought you were a guy!!"

"Uhh, the pink website and font didn't tip you off?"

"I just thought you were really fruity."

not even the last time someone mentioned me being "girly" and then acted surprised that I AM a girl. Just the time with the most pink...For reasons that remain wholly mysterious to me if people can't see me they seem to assume I'm a flaming dude.
ImageImage

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

Hmm, interesting idea. I'm not sure what to think about it.

Zii & DiDI have already done some 'female bonding,' of course. Zii wasn't particularly eager to be part of Gary's shower plan, but she went along with it all right and obviously got something out of it. She's felt the gravitational pull of DiDi's boobs since she met her. On the other hand, Zii is girly enough to really resent it when people--including DiDi--take her for a guy.

And DiDi? She's tough to guess, too. She knows how spectacular her body is, and she has no intrinsic objection to letting a girl cop a feel off her...or at least a snuggle. We know she likes 'the dating,' but she hasn't said with who, has she?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Zii is bi. That's common among punk girls. I think DiDi is probably straight, but she also strikes me as a warm, openly sensuous girl whose sexual identity may not be fully formed yet.

Of course, if both girls were bi (or curious), that would lead to all sorts of three-cornered confusion in the household, and thus more laughs.

So...if DiDi is Lindsay Lohan, would that make Zii a potential Samantha Ronson?

And I AM kind of with you against the geeky guy-gets-hot-babe cliche. It might happen here, though, because Zii has strong geek tendencies herself.

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

Dryope wrote: It just seems to me that too frequently in pop culture it's expected that the girl will be hot and the guy will be average. I rarely encounter the reverse, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.
I've never read a Harlequin Romance, or any other bodice-ripper, but I'm fairly certain most guys depicted in that sort of novel are Studly McRipplingAbs.
(then again, I don't know how 'average' the ladies in those novels are either; judging by the covers, not very)
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

MerchManDan wrote:
Dryope wrote: It just seems to me that too frequently in pop culture it's expected that the girl will be hot and the guy will be average. I rarely encounter the reverse, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.
I've never read a Harlequin Romance, or any other bodice-ripper, but I'm fairly certain most guys depicted in that sort of novel are Studly McRipplingAbs.
(then again, I don't know how 'average' the ladies in those novels are either; judging by the covers, not very)
Well going by the only example I can think of off hand... Pride and Predudice... Mr Darcy is defiantely describe as Mr Fabulous von Awesome, and Jane is describe as being Miss Va Va Von Coursetry...

I so need to make an RP character called Fabulous von Awesome now.... lol.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

MerchManDan wrote:
Bodice-ripper!

THAT'S DiDi's new nickname. Because as far as bras go, nothing short of kryptonite is going to keep those bewbz from being unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

:D

Why do I keep thinking of that South Park episode, "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society?"
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

MerchManDan wrote:
The romance novels I've read had very sexy heroines. Sometimes insecure and silly, sometimes confidant and independent, but always smokin'. Romance novels are very realistic that way.
brnleague99 wrote: Bodice-ripper!

THAT'S DiDi's new nickname. Because as far as bras go, nothing short of kryptonite is going to keep those bewbz from being unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

:D

Why do I keep thinking of that South Park episode, "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society?"
YAY!! Didi has a nickname!! Now what should we nickname Zii? *ponders* It's an important question! Bodice-ripper needs a girlfriend. Or a sidekick. Or summin'.
ImageImage

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

While I'm doing in-depth character study :D I wonder if Zii listens to Slipknot?

Their ULTRA awesome new album All Hope Is Gone dropped today.

:mrgreen:
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Okay, so after the recent strip, which I will forever refer to as 'Chomp', and thinking about this for a while, I just felt like writing this...

DiDi is definately my favourite character of the strip so far. No its not the typical male thing of 'OMG BOOBIEZ!11!!00!!1' or the skimpy costumes, mass ammounts of jiggling and everything else sexual about her... So why do I love our lovable Amazon DiDi? Quite simply its her personality. That sweet sense of innocence, the way she manages to flirt without even seeming to realise she's doing it. The way she manages to get on with everyone and genuinely seems to like and want to care for them so quickly. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a nice girl with a sexual side, but there so much more to DiDi then just a pair of boobs to me and thats why I love her.

That is all.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Bear wrote:Okay, so after the recent strip, which I will forever refer to as 'Chomp', and thinking about this for a while, I just felt like writing this...

DiDi is definately my favourite character of the strip so far. No its not the typical male thing of 'OMG BOOBIEZ!11!!00!!1' or the skimpy costumes, mass ammounts of jiggling and everything else sexual about her... So why do I love our lovable Amazon DiDi? Quite simply its her personality. That sweet sense of innocence, the way she manages to flirt without even seeming to realise she's doing it. The way she manages to get on with everyone and genuinely seems to like and want to care for them so quickly. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a nice girl with a sexual side, but there so much more to DiDi then just a pair of boobs to me and thats why I love her.

That is all.
Amen. Three cheers for the girl next door! I wonder if she gardens. Just because she seems so nurturing, it wouldn't' surprise me.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

midgetshrimp wrote:Amen. Three cheers for the girl next door! I wonder if she gardens. Just because she seems so nurturing, it wouldn't' surprise me.
It wouldn't surprise me either if she did, or at least could. Glad to see someone else has my veiw of her. Now insert images of DiDi ala dugerees/gardening overalls and hosepipe fights here...

vonKaiser

Post by vonKaiser »

I'm just continuously reminded of FANS! all three in a happy relationship that would make a great late night cable movie :mrgreen:
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world” - Kaiser Wilhelm
Star Pirates
Free Web Based Browser Game