The Happy Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Miss Vavavavoom
Location: Oz, living in the Emerald City with the Scarecrow as my sugar daddy

Re: The Happy Thread

Post by Miss Vavavavoom »

The happiest news I have is this.

I can get gifts for my brother, my two sisters and their kids! Each year, I get them a group gift but I've been low on funds. I was really worried and upset. Mom and Dad sdaid they were okay with not getting gifts but I really wanted to get something for my siblings.

Then, I found the answer on buzzfeed: food jars! These are perfect! Everyone loves to eat and this is something fun they can do together!
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
Hit me with your sweet love, steal me with a kiss
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
I'm gonna be your bubblegum bitch

Resident burlesque queen and sex kitten.
Looking for an artist for my comic! Please message me if you are interested

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

We are not a happy bunch. This thread was on the second page!

I got a job interview with Albertson's. Most people probably wouldn't be too excited about that but I spent a good deal of my life in a grocery store when Mom worked at Furr's Supermarket (which went bankrupt and closed back in.. 2000?) Some of the people who worked with Mom and saw me grow up are working there now. It'll be hard work but a sort of familiar setting. So. Positivity.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Yes, well, suicide ideation isn't the happiest thing in the world :p
good luck foxy :ymhug:
The only happy thing for me today is birthday ice cream tonight ^_^
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Well, it got moved to Monday. Same time just a different day since the person doing the interviews was sick today.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

So, barring that my anxiety meds are on the "no-no" list, I got a job. Different from what they were originally going to stick me with but still with the same company and everything. No idea when I'm starting yet but I do know I have to get new shoes, a belt, and a couple pair of black slacks.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

So, weekend was mixed with feeling good about family time and them ruining that good feeling through stupid stuff.
Birthday wishes the other day felt pretty good. Therapy was useful last night. Feeling hungry last night and today confirms that there's happiness there. Today I blame the pure exhaustion though :P I'm going out for ice cream with a friend tonight though. I only met her once, but we text sometimes and she's a nice woman that lives in the area, so obviously the only person to celebrate turning one today with :D
Also, visiting a friend this weekend at her place. Should be fun since she brags about her lake all the time. :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Have the bestest birthday fun! :ymparty:

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I've mentioned in the past about my friend, Ben, who wrote a book that he had me read and offer advice on. A book that he had offered for submission previously, but after my suggestions and the changes that he made was later accepted. Apparently, he and his wife Camille feel that I have a real knack for it. So tonight, when I came over with my other pals they soft balled a suggestion at me.

How would I feel about a business whose job it was to do precisely what I did with Ben's book? Have people submit their work for critique and then offer suggestions for how to improve their work to make them more submission-worthy. Being someone who loves stories and books and who reads constantly anyway... I told them I'd completely be up for it.

Now, this is very early in it all. It was the first time they broached the subject to me in an informal fashion. But I gave them several suggestions on how to figure out how to what would be appropriate rates to charge, what sort of services to offer, etc. And as far as fast and loose suggestions went, I think it went well. While Ben and myself are the writers, Camille is in the law profession and would be very good at getting the legal aspect of a business of this nature off the ground.

Now, I know this is the sort of thing that will takes years to build a good foundation. However, even if it's just some "second job" extra cash sort of money? That's still nice. I really hope this works out, and the potential of this sort of business I find very encouraging... and that makes me happy. :)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Far out. Good luck, DnE. :-bd
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

That sounds awesome. Best of luck to you all! :ymhug:

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

*Dances around DnE singing "Happy happy joy joy"*
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Ah, yes. That Ren and Stimpy clip was fated to appear on this thread someday.
I think outside the tesseract.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

What I marvel is your fast reaction... :-\
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

My fast reaction to the proposal? Well, here's the thing... I'm the sort of guy that loves stories. Love 'em. At my workplace, I literately always have a book at my work station so that the moment I go on break, I'm reading. So, the amount of reading required won't be a problem. Plus, apparently I have a real knack for it. And heck, I've done more for people without being paid - but when I heard the muttered ballpark figure that my friend's wife was saying under her breath about "standard hourly consulting fee" that definitely didn't hurt. It was three times an hour than I'm making now. :)) Plus, this is something that is going to take time to develop. I wouldn't be surprised if it took two years to really get up and running. Because with my suggestions, you wouldn't want just one person reading over the submitted text... you'd want probably three for maximum objectivity and variety of points of view. Which means at the very least, we'd need to find a third reviewer.

And, I'm really sick of my current job. Any light of hope for "something better" is the direction I'm heading in as we speak.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)