The Happy Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Re: The Happy Thread

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

Got a bit of news yesterday! :)
PART_1451369967323_20151228_204845.jpg
PART_1451369967323_20151228_204845.jpg (246.66 KiB) Viewed 18670 times
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Conga rats!!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yaaaaaaay! :) :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

HUZZAH! :D :ymhug: :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

WOooooooooo!

wait when did your name change ?!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

Thank you!! :ymhug:

And Don sneakily changed it a while back :ymdevil:
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Not sure if this belongs in the Happy Thread per se, but I did a tiny good deed yesterday.

For weeks now, a little garden spider (Araneus diadematus) lived in my driver-side rearview mirror. It made a web between the mirror and the window, not a lot of room. And, of course, driving to work often damaged it.

So yesterday, when I was parking at a supermarket, I noticed her coming out and trying to build up the web again, I decided it was time to transplant her to a better location. There were bushes at the edge of the parking lot.

I carefully plucked her on to my hand but of course she immediately crawled off and dropped to the ground. I nearly let her go, but then decided: Huge parking lot (at least in terms of the spider's size!), lots of cars, she'll probably get crushed under a wheel! :(

So I provoked her a bit, got her running, and after a few tries, got her on to my hand again. Again she dropped on a thread, I rotated my hand raidly to prevent her from reaching the ground, finally had to pick her up once again but got her delivered into the greenery. :)

May she spin a big web and eat a lot of suitors! :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

DA, and flies too! ;) Nice going! :)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Okay... it's a very rare thing that I ever contribute to this thread, but here we go.

So, I never have any romantic interest garnered locally, and in the past all of the individuals who have expressed such online always seem to disappear after not too long. Making me feel more used for some temporary attention than anything. And it didn't elude my mind that come November 1st I would have been single for a full 11 years.

Except... a couple months back, I was hanging out on this chat server and while I'm not as forwards about talking about things, I was sharing little clips of me singing with Vocaroo. A lot of people liked my singing, so it was very good and helped my poor battered self esteem quite a lot. In particular, there was this one young lady who messaged me a few times that asked for a song here or there in a certain sort of mood. It made me slightly memorable, and I sort of became known as "that guy who serenaded the room one night". In particular the one person who messaged me was very warm and friendly from that point and liked to chat with me, which was nice flirting and joking with someone but I'd become fairly jaded and just took it as a bit of fun.

But over a couple of months, we kept chatting. I would sing every once in a while, and I found out that I could really fluster her if I sent a recording of myself talking in a bedroom voice. So, we joked and flirted more. This is over several months, and we're talking and just being friendly. Then someone makes a Discord channel where a lot of the people from that chat site could come and take turns singing. Obviously I join in, as does she. However, we're still teasing and flirting with one another only now we're actually talking to one another on Discord, and it becomes immediately noticeable to everyone. We're getting constant comments thrown our way about how everyone is 'shipping' us.

Which leads to us talking more one on one, because it's clear that we have this chemistry that is so obvious we can't deny it. People have been private messaging me, making sure that I'm not just playing with her emotions and wondering if I really like her. After a bit of talking, we decide... yes, there's certainly something here. Something more than simply playful flirting and joking around. So, we talk discussing more serious subjects. All those topics that you commonly walk on eggshells about. Surprisingly, we have so much in common in our points of view that those tricky subjects glide by, or when we don't see eye to eye there's such an environment of understanding and communication that it doesn't feel like a conflict. We're talking with so much honesty and sincerity, it's the best communication I've ever had in any relationship in my life.

There is one major hurdle between us, though... we live quite literally on opposite sides of the globe. We're 12 hours difference, because she lives in the Philippines - which surprises me when she mentioned it, because she speaks clearer and less accented English than most Americans. She's going to college to be a lawyer, which means that she's going to be tied up with that for the next several years. However, we talk about it and accept that it might be years before we ever meet face to face. And we have also been honest and said that if either of us meet someone before then and there are romantic feelings present, we're going to be honest and tell the other. But, we've both experienced the "everyone always overlooks me here" followed by a response of "how can you have been single for so long since you're so attractive and a wonderful person?"

We've been watching movies and television shows together on this website where you watch the same screen and have an open microphone so you can chat with one another. Over the last two days, we binge watched the Netflix show 'Sense8'. In between episodes, flirting and teasing and joking with one another. We've been talking about the mutual interest between each other for the last three weeks at this point, and we're making each other so happy. However, at one point yesterday she has to go out and drop something off with a family member present, so we switch to Skype to chat. Her aunt is curious about me, and they switch to her family's language that I can't understand... but I pick out the mention of "Florida", and after a second question there's a pause and an answer of "I don't know." When she drops off her aunt, she confirms there were questions about me, but gets flustered. Telling me to ask her when she gets home, hoping I forget because she's embarrassed. I don't forget.

When she's settled in again, I finally get it out of her that her aunt had asked if I was her boyfriend. That's what she said "I don't know" to. So, I asked her... did she want me to be her boyfriend? She very softly said yes. Then I asked her, did she want to be my girlfriend? Nervously and with a smile in her voice, she said yes.

So, for the first time in almost 11 years, I'm not single. It might be a few years before we ever see one another in person, but I have someone in my life. She makes me exceptionally happy. Her name is Elsie, but she simply goes by Elle. She's gorgeous and smart and funny and wonderful. For once, I feel lucky.
:x
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

sweet
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

HUZZAH! :D :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

*lynx kitten explodes into confetti, noise and sparkles*

*...and kitten bits*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I'm happy for you! :)
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I just want to thank everyone. :ymblushing: It may seem strange because she's not physically here with me, but... this simple thing, this knowledge that someone cares about me romantically and who sees a future with me helps me so much more than I can express. People that I haven't confided in are commenting about how I seem more cheerful, more positive. I'm sleeping better, I have more energy. It's been so long since I've been hopeful and happy, it's a strange and slightly scary in a good way feeling.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)