The Picture Thread

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Picture Thread

Post by Tenjen »

and the mystery continues
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

picture of myself

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, earlier today I was talking with my Mom and she shared me this picture... one that she herself only recently found of my maternal grandparents when they were in their early 20's. That's Frankie Winter and Arthur Winter, or as they were called by us grandchildren "Nanny and Pa". As families often like to give different sets of grandparents different names to clarify which they're speaking with, my paternal grandparents were "Grandmom Willie and Grandpop Ray". But with my maternal grandparents, they chose to be a little different... because she was such a domestic caretaker sort my maternal grandmother chose to be called "Nanny" or "Nan". My maternal grandfather was a huge fan of everything having to do with the mid-west, especially the popular show 'Bonanza', so he wanted to be called the same name as Lorne Greene's character was referred to by all of his sons... "Pa".

And yes, it's been a long running bit of humor that both of my grandmothers were born with masculine names. Willie and Frankie aren't short for anything... that's their actual names.

As I understand it, my grandparents were high school friends but my grandfather had a steady girlfriend much of his time there. When World War II happened and he was stationed at a military base nearby his girlfriend didn't make the effort to come to see him very much... but my grandmother did, and stole him away from her. I believe this picture was taken shortly after they were married, in the mid-1940's. I'm told that I'm very much like my grandfather - shy and soft spoken but also brutal honest with a fierce will. I was so happy to see this image, and thought I would share it with my friends along with those little anecdotes about my family.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

huh, my grandparents were "grandpa *last name*", "grandma *last name*", "grandma clara *last name*", "grandma *first name I don't remember*", and "grandpa glen"
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Heh, my mom is named Frankie as well!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Mik - yup, my maternal grandparents had to be different. This was the grandmother that passed back in the end of May this year, while my grandfather passed back in 1991.

DA - My paternal grandmother was born "Willie Lee Sons"... I kind of feel like explaining that she was a Cherokee girl from Texas explains her name. My maternal grandmother was born "Frankie Marguerite Smith". She was born in West Virginia, and it was apparently a tradition to name the first child after one of their uncles. I had a great, great uncle Frank that she was named after.

I shared this on Facebook and a friend told me that she thought that it was clear that I got my eyes and ears from my grandfather - humorously, both my grandfathers had rather prominent ears, as well as my paternal grandmother. I think I also think in the photo above I share that slightly crooked way of smiling as my grandfather, even though I'm not comfortable showing my teeth while smiling.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Morwen

Post by Morwen »

Offering to the mods, so that they don' go power trippin' :-*
[attachment=0]hotchocomead.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Hot chocolate with mead!
Hot chocolate with mead!
hotchocomead.jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 22834 times
Shadow Apprentice and proud member of the Dream Team
ignorance is bliss? ...no, its just annoying

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

You know, I seriously thought you had finally posted a pic of yourself... :P

(That sounds astoundingly delicious, by the way... OMG I need to try that!!! =p~ =p~ =p~ )
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Morwen

Post by Morwen »

What do ya mean "finally"? :-? I've already posted two partials (A handful of forumites got a full one, if memory serves).

And yes, you should. It's nice even when it gets cold.
Shadow Apprentice and proud member of the Dream Team
ignorance is bliss? ...no, its just annoying

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

I remember that!
ImageImageImage

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

It's been ages since I posted anything here, so I may as well ruin everyone's christmas.

Ho ho ho...

(I'm actually in a festive mood, but I just woke up after a loooong night)

Now get off my lawn.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Now I understand your comment about "back then, i had long hair"! :-o :(
ImageImage

Nev

Post by Nev »

DnE, that's a lovely picture. What a beautiful couple. I can see the resemblance to your Pa.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

2016 is off to a bad start...

Picture thread. Last post by Nev. Nev pictures: 0. :(
ImageImage

Nev

Post by Nev »

HAHAHA ok Don I'll bite. :p

I'm very proud of how my hair has grown out, so I'll post this.