The Gamer's Lounge

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Engy

Re: The Gamer's Lounge

Post by Engy »

So, I've been trying out Overwatch for a few days now, and I have got to say: I'm just not feeling it. Don't get me wrong, I got the Origins Edition on preorder and I'll probably waste too many hours in it, but the mechanics just don't feel tight to me. Almost all of the characters feel too squishy; I find it's very easy to die in one or two shots, and I don't mean from just sniper shots*. These are similar issues I've got with Call of Duty and CS:GO. The game feels a bit sluggish as well, as if most characters run at the speed of the TF2's Heavy. This doesn't help when most objectives tend to be spaced away quite a bit from the spawn. A good portion of the weapons also don't feel very satisfying - Winston's weapon is a prime example of this, as there is zero feedback on whether you are hitting something or not.
When I compare this to the TF2 at release, Overwatch currently just doesn't feel as tight.

*On the flip side, I find Pharah's rockets grossly underwhelming where even multiple direct shots in the face don't see to bring any characters down.

Anyway, I think I've been negative enough, let's talk some stuff I do quite like. These are mostly character related:
My favourite characters probably are McCree, Bastion, Junkrat, and Lúcio.
McCree is just a plain, all around badass, but I especially like his revolver. It's one of the few weapons that does feel like it packs a lot of punch, and his revolver fanning is marvelous when up close with an enemy. I am having trouble getting good use out of his ultimate, though.
Bastion's sentry mode is quite awesome, and it feels great when I've found a good spot and just lay siege. Unfortunately he's also the primary character with which I have the above squishiness issues.
Junkrat is hilarious, and I quite like tossing around grenades and his mine.
I like Lúcio because of his AoE heal and speed up - his buff really helps with the inherent sluggishness of the game. I actually picked him up as an alternative to Mercy, as I played a lot of Mercy but kept being picked off constantly by the enemy. I swear, half my matches were staring at a killcam because I kept getting singled out and killed - Lúcio helped a lot in this, as his additional mobility, more general healing and just feeling tougher all around meant I survived a lot better as well.

Other characters I do quite like are Mercy (although she got kind of replaced by Lúcio), Reinhardt (SO MUCH HAM), and Pharah. A non-character related feature I like are the Plays of the Game, with its own intros. That is a very cool addition to the game.

And one last thing: FUCK HANZO. Seriously, I hate playing against him. Not only am I constantly being taken down from full health by one arrow, his ultimate has killed me in the spawn room. Bloody infuriating.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

as you play the game you learn how to judge the flow of battle and survive better. Overwatch seems chaotic and death filled until then. Also you learn to instantly start moving when you hear ults being called out. Especially hanzo and bastion. Its a game that punishes standing still, even for snipers. Have to keep dancing and moving and weaving in and out of cover. Midgame switching is especially important to keep counter picking the enemy team.

Since you can self repair as bastion, its always best to keep moving spots or switching to regular mode to hide and heal. He's a noob crusher. Experienced players know how to avoid and take him out but people new to the game get mowed down. That being said, experienced teams know how to keep their bastion safe.

the feedback on winston hitting enemies is them voicing cartoon-like AHAHHAHAHA reactions to getting zapped by his multi-enemy hitting weapon but in the chaos of battle it can get hard to be aware of whether you are actually hitting people and how many.

During closed i found that i liked playing Symmetra, Winston and Zarya the most.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Engy

Post by Engy »

I have indeed already learned to instantly move when I heard an ulti called out, although it's sometimes quite difficult to figure out where it's coming from. I hate to admit I've actually walked into a McCree ultimate more than once because I thought he was out in the open with me and then actually turned out to be in the room I fled into.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."

Engy

Post by Engy »

You have no idea HOW BLOODY HYPED I am about the new Civilization. They spoke about Civ VI base containing most of the things that had been added to Civ 5 in expansions (trade routes, espionage, religion (unfortunately)), as well some new stuff such as unit reinforcements (you can stack up to three units again, but they will function as one, more powerful unit with extra bonuses). Meanwhile they are also bringing back the animations of wonders being built when you finish one from Civ IV, which I am very happy with.
I keep hearing a lot of complaints about the art style, but they explained that they went with it because most players spend almost all game zoomed out, meaning they'd miss all the details anyway. They are simplifying the style to increase legibility of the silhouettes of units. Their appearances will also be more in line with their civilizations - their skin tones will be influenced, and little details such as helmets will change depending on the civilization, which sounds quite neat.
They will be revealing more news at E3, where I hope they'll start announcing Civs. I am also hoping that the Netherlands is part of the base game this time around.

Also, dropping a bunch of Overwatch images here:

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

I'm not sure what exactly the complaints of the art style is, but i like it....

Gameplay wise it seems they're moving more toward Endless Legend/Eador: Genesis where you can build buildings on each tile in the city radius.

In other news; System Shock 1 Remastered Pre-Alpha Gameplay

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ITS HIGH NOON
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

I'm loving Stellaris so far. Here's my first empire's first step into the exploration and colonization of space. :D

http://i.imgur.com/lUMWnWy.jpg

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

finished Undertale on a pure pacifist run, what a feels trip that was
ImageImageImage

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

"System Shock is a complete remake of the genre defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine."
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... stem-shock

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ahh yessss

750 and you can be a victim with a voiced pad message of your choosing left behind
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"It's dangerous out there. Take this."

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of furRRRGGGHHHHGETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFFFFFF

*gets eaten by Eldritch Catbomination*
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ALL THE FEELS!

*chokes up*

EDIT: Here's the card, spoiled on Tumblr, of all places.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Don Alexander wrote:"It's dangerous out there. Take this."

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of furRRRGGGHHHHGETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFFFFFF

*gets eaten by Eldritch Catbomination*
what does it do?
ImageImageImage