The Gamer's Lounge

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Gamer's Lounge

Post by Don Alexander »

So, my life may suck otherwise right now (I'll report elsewhere, elsewhen), but in one way...

Oh, Magic, you. Often you lose. Sometimes you win big. And sometimes, you win ultra-spectacularly!!!! :D

Just a few days after drawing that Tarmogoyf, I received my first big shipment of Shadows over Innistrad!! The Fat Pack, four English displays... and two RUSSIAN ones. For the rather cheap price of €110 each.

Right now, the hottest property is this lady:

ImageImage

I already drew her, my first, in the Fat Pack. That pack also contained a double land, it alone was worth more than I paid for the entire Fat Pack. Then I also got her in my first Russian Display! And then...

...in the second display...

I DREW HER AS A RUSSIAN FOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't overstate how absolutely insane that draw is (I also got a further Rare transformer in that pack, so it contained a foil Mythic as well as two Rares!).

English is €25 (and still rising) right now.
Russian normal ones are being sold for €40 on MKM.
English foils are > €60!!!

Using that multiplier, the Russian foil should be nearly €100 - but Russian foils are ultra pimp, so the multiplier is likely significantly higher.

No one is offering Russian foil Avacyns on MKM. There's a single Japanese one for... €210!!! :-o Also, I checked US eBay and found two Russian pack foils that actually sold - one for $150... and one for $290!!!!

So my conservative estimate is €130... In other words, significantly more than the entire display cost, and significantly more than the Tarmogoyf.

KA-CHING!!! $-) $-) $-)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Looks like my luck when it comes to drawing SOI cards is not abating!! :D

Today, I received a set of all five intro decks. I usually just buy these to get the five foil alt-art promo face cards, which are usually bad but also quite expensive since this is the only source. But each intro deck also contains two boosters, so perhaps one might strike lucky.

From my first big SOI buy, I had put up all but two each (or maybe three, if I had a German and a Russian beyond the English) of the rares for sale. So now, I was expecting nothing more than ten, maybe eleven, or if really lucky twelve further rares to start filling my collection toward playset completeness. On the other hand, with the exception of a single Goldnight Castigator (I have five already) I had not put any mythics up for sale, but already had multiple as playsets, so any extras would be selling material.

Deck #1: Blue/Green, Nephalia Moondrakes: This deck already contains Tireless Tracker as the second rare, and that's THE hottest card of the entire set right now. And then I drew a dual land in each of the packs!! These aren't worth a lot of money, but maybe €2 each. An auspicious beginning!
Deck #2: Red/White, Flameblade Angel: The first pack contained a Declaration in Stone, which I was very happy about, I have only two so far, and it has risen to > €6! And the second pack - next to a decent rare I also do not have a lot of yet, Asylum Visitor - contained another Archangel Avacyn /Avacyn, the Purifier!!!!! =)) #5, up on MKM you go! $-)
Deck #3: Green/Black, Soul Swallower: The second pack was remarkable for being completely unremarkable... But the first pack contained a Thalia's Lieutenant as rare, another hot commodity and only the second one I've ever opened... and the Transformer slot had an uncommon and... Arlinn Kord!!! =)) Again #5! $-)
Deck #4: Black/Red, Markov Dreadknight: Got Brain in a Jar and Harness the Storm, neither of monetary value, but I've drawn both only once so far!!
Deck #5: And to top it all off, not only did I get a third dual land (all three different), I also got my fourth Jace, plus a foil uncommon!!!

So I expected some collection building, and instead got nearly €40 worth of cards to sell!!! :-bd
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

Am i the only one who thinks Magic Card prizes are insane? Some have stunning artwork but just not worth it for me.

Had a talk about it with my nerdstore owner yesterday about that and made a Force of Will test game.
So i am joining that game seems more efficent in price to fun ratio.
Be creative, invent a perversion.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

But Force of Will is a really expensive card! :-o
ImageImage

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

Not sure if you are mocking me or just being a Pfälzer. :-?

I am talking about the TGC Force of Will, not a single card.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

#:-s

Magic is still not my game, got some cards a few years back but still not my game especially by some card prices.
I mean Black Lotus is more expansive than a car, wtf?

As said i am going to start the Force of Will TCG it seems a bit more fun than MTG to me and way cheaper. Most expensive german card is at 25€.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

https://youtu.be/cv-kj1eeaeU

Me playing a VR game with zombies, at that con i was at : D
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

@GermanMerc: I stumbled across some Force of Will displays being sold by a German online store. You said the game was much less expensive than Magic, but getting the cards via boosters sure seems more expansive. The displays contained 36 pack à 10 cards each (Magic 36 with 15 each), and cost 105 Euros each (Magic: ~75 Euros for newly released sets; sure, out-of-print stuff is more expensive). :-?
ImageImage

GermanMerc

Post by GermanMerc »

Depends on what are you going to play.

But the difference is in a booster you are assured at least one super rare and one foil not boosters full of crap like the Magic ones.
Then its assured there is at least one godpack in every seventh display.

Than there are other parts:
- if you play in Germany, Austria or Switzerland only german printed cards are legal
- all cards allowed in tournament play are still in print
- most expensive single card is around 25 €

Difference is, there are no Starter Decks for FoW only 2 Duel Decks which come around 14 € to start playing, while a MtG Duel Deck starts at 20 € which is a lower entry cost.
Second is, the Deck of the german master is around 300 € if you want to buy the same cards.
Dont want to know the price for an MtG Deck on that level.

Big plus on my side, gaming is more fun than MtG.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that your Decks are a bit smaller than those used by MgT.
Its max 40 in your game Deck, one ruler and max 20 in your Mana stone Deck, and going to tourney 15 card side deck.
There are fast Decks working with half of that cards.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Meet Therese and Jeanette Voerman; source hunters extraordinaire.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Why is this thread alwaya dominated by Magic the Gathering? Make a club.

Anyone playing Dark Souls 3? The battle system is lovely.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Pretty sure the MTG posts could fill up as many pages as the D&D thread by now. :P

Speaking of excellent combat system. Divinity Origin Sin's combat system is awesome. :D
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Lost me at turn-based combat. Hate that system.

"I'm powering up my one attack that will obliterate you."

"Ok, I’m going to stand right here and pray I have enough HP to use a weak-ass healing potion."

No thanks.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

JTheCreator wrote:Why is this thread alwaya dominated by Magic the Gathering? Make a club.
It sure hasn't been lately. :|
ImageImage