The Gamer's Lounge

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

The Gamer's Lounge

Post by Bear »

Well.. since we haven't got one yet that covers this subject... I'm making it! :p

*Installs giant computer screens and comfy chairs, easily accessable mini fridges and all the other usual gaming paraphanalia.*

The Gamers Lounge! For all of us that play video and computer games and want to talk about what we love or hate about them. Stuck and need help with one? Try asking here. Or just want to rant about how much Sims 6million sucks or how much The Elder Cave Sim rules? (I wish that last one existed). Chat away here and share you 1337 gamer skills. (All 1337 speakers will be mauled on sight :P )

And to start with... I've been exercise my god complex lately be reloading up the old God Game classic of the origional Black and White. First time around I didn't like this game too much, having to teach your creature and train it kind of annoyed me, but then, once I got used to it, it was fun! I even got the little guy to play fetch with the villagers :ymdevil: . Theres just something about being an ominipitant overlord I love playing in games. I really wish that there were more out there like this. Its why other games like Spore appeal to me so much, as well as RPG's. Just something about getting to control the destiny of a world really appeals to me. Its another reason why games such as Civ and Alpha Centauri have long been mainstays of my gaming collection.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Gamer's Lounge

Post by Don Alexander »

Ooooh, new thread, must answer!!

Well, I haven't gamed in a looooong time. My old heydays were the early nineties, with my trusty C64.

As mentioned several times elsewhere, my abolute fave was Turrican (actually, Turrican 2) - I got to be an absolute crack at it.

RPGs back then never interested me, except for that one last C64 summer, 1996, when I played one... Title? Something about Mars. Played on Mars, was SF, and I got to the very last beastie but never defeated it. :(

Adventures, on the other hand - extremely swell.

More later if discussion of vintage games comes up.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I've been liking Fallout 3 (what I've played of it so far) but it does have one thing that annoys me. How dark it gets IG at night. Now, I like realism in games, but up to a point. And having it so pitch black at night I might as well turn my monitor off, is well past that point. X(
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

I'm an RPG addict. Although most of the new, fancy-pants HD ones just don't interest me as much as they probably should. I fall asleep. I wish I was joking... Might help if I actually HAD an HD TV... I hate straining to read the teeny text on my old ones... >.<

I prefer my old games. Lunar 1 & 2, the first 2 Suikodens (which I'm currently running through), Final Fantasies (I did love 12, and 13 looks like it'll be pretty awesome!)... I don't know, pixels and polygons are just more captivating to me. :)) Fable 2 and Fallout 3, I drift in and out. Right now, I feel like I'm trying to force myself to play them through, though I do love them. The last RPG(ish) game I played and FINISHED was Mass Effect. OHMYGOD, I love that game!

My major loves right now are Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band 2. It works for me, because it seems like my attention span is diminishing more as I get older... Weird.

I also enjoy the occasional shooter, Halo 3 is great when I want to piss guys off by getting utterly PWN'D by a girl. Gears of War (both) is amazing, story-wise and gameplay. There's nothing more satisfying than blowing Locust heads off with shotguns and sniper rifles! Not to mention the chainsaws... :x

Oh, and sometimes I play Guild Wars. Kinda going through a dry spell right now, but I do have fun with it. Not much of a PC gamer though. I like my consoles.
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

LadySheDevil wrote:I also enjoy the occasional shooter, ...
The only shooter I've played much of was Soldier of Fortune. Crotch shots are wonderfully evil. :ymdevil:
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I am a fan of...many genres.

At the moment, I have going:

2 RPGs (Star Ocean 3 - which does not suck, dammit! - and Pokemon Diamond), a visual novel (Hotel Dusk), a rhythm game (Meccha Taiko no Tatsujin DS) and Lego Batman (which I have no idea how to classify), plus I have Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (RPG), Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan 1 and 2 (Rhythm), Cooking Mama 1 and 2, and Soul Bubbles (casual) games going, but haven't actually progressed much in any of them, lately.

And despite having all that going, I just now bought GTA: Liberty City Stories...
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

When I read LSD's post I thought to myself "wut, I didn't post here yet did I?"
I play all kinds of games(except for sport games), but I prefer time consuming games :p so Ive played lots of RPG and adventure games in my days.
I was a big fan of JRPG's back in the playstation and ps2 days, but nowadays it feels like they try to hard to be innovative, and it just gets to complicated or annoying, good gameplay and a great story is all a RPG should need(and good music helps too). The final fantasy series, Suikoden I and II(and V!), Xenogears, fantasy stars, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest, etc etc. My all time favorite game is probably Castlevania: symphony of the night though.
I liked Fallout 3 and Mass Effect a lot too, (and ME will be a trilogy, yay). The latest JRPG I played and really enjoyed was Lost Odyssey. I've played some fps too, was in a Day of Defeat clan for a long time and in a TF2 clan, I still play TF2 but not enough for clanplay. As some of you know, Ive played Lineage 2 for the last few years, which is fun when raids/pvp happens, but mostly its an endless grind, like most MMORPGs.

Nowadays I mostly play old PS1 or PC games, and TF2 now and then, or xbox360 games when im at my brothers place (GTA4, Street fighter 4, Guitar hero/rock band)
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

zgwortz
D.O.M.

Post by zgwortz »

I'm, sadly, way out of touch when it comes to computer games. Right now, the only one I'm playing is World of Warcraft, and before that it was Warcraft III and Oblivion. The consolification of computer games has mostly driven me away.

Long ago, I was a computer game geek to extremes. I played ooodles and oodles of C64 games before switching to the Amiga in 1985, then played oodles of games on that until the mid 1990s, then was forced to switch to DOS and Windows machines to play oodles of games on. Mostly strategy, adventure, RPGs and the like, and maybe the occational action game. But around the early 2000s, everything seemed to go to first person shooters and point and twitch console games and lost my interest. I suspect my next real stand-alone game will be Starcraft II when that comes out and I feel inclined to go for it.

Meanwhile, WoW is satisfying my computer gaming interests for now, and I get plenty of non-computer board gaming (my dining room has a wall of shelving filled primarily with board games...) and RPGs.
-->Steve
D.O.M.

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

Oooh, Lost Odyssey! :x I haven't beaten it yet, but I do love it. Jansen is made of win. And I LOVE reading Kaim's dreams... Some of them made me cry!

Nibler, I think you and my fiance should meet. He ADORES Casltevania:SOTN. I've played it some, but I just can't seem to get into it. It's fun watching him play though. :D

And OMG! *lovehumps Kamino* Rhapsody! It's beyond adorable, isn't it? I have the original (I managed to get it when Blockbuster took it off the rental shelf and put it for sale. They called me since I rented it so much and asked if I wanted them to hold it for a couple days so I could buy it... HELL YEAH!)... And I have the DS remake. Those maps make it so much easier... Mostly. I was really hoping they'd translate the sequel, but it looks like it's not gonna happen, even for the DS. :(
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

LadySheDevil wrote:Rhapsody! It's beyond adorable, isn't it?
Yes! I especially love Cornet's faces when Kururu's being a dork. And Kururu when she's being a dork.

And the fact that several members of your party are eggs.

And the angel doll with the cannon.
I was really hoping they'd translate the sequel, but it looks like it's not gonna happen, even for the DS. :(
Really too bad, but, sadly, not completely unexpected...Rhapsody is not a game that I would have expected to get translated at all. I expect it probably did better on DS, but I'm not surprised not by enough to encourage the others to be brought over.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Doctor Emmit Brown

Post by Doctor Emmit Brown »

I got my hands on a Japanese copy of Dissidia: Final Fantasy on the PSP (PSP is regionless, so it plays Japanese games no problem), and it is AWESOME :D :D :D :D

If you haven't heard of it, Dissidia is a fighting game featuring 20 characters, the protagonist and antagonist from the first 10 games of the series, all duking it out against each other. Who would win in a fight, Squall or Cloud? Butz or Zidane? Kefka or Ultimicia? Now you can find out. The battle system is really well done, and the fights are choreographed similar to what you saw in FFVII: Advent Children (midair acrobatics, grinding on rails, running up walls, etc). It's just awesome. I'd been waiting on this game for about a year when I first heard of it, and when the opportunity came up to buy the Japanese version, I couldn't resist, despite the fact that I can't understand a word of the text.
"Thanks, Dad! The toy every kid wants, a container ship! Now I can replicate international commerce." - Adam Savage

Minion (and sexual slave) of Asaryu.

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

You could find out who would win in a fight between some of the ff7 characters before, in the Playstation game "ehrgeiz", if anyone remembers that old gem :p
This thread made me start replaying SOTN for the umpteenth time, and its as good as I remember, and the music.. :x
LadySheDevil wrote:Nibler, I think you and my fiance should meet. He ADORES Casltevania:SOTN. I've played it some, but I just can't seem to get into it. It's fun watching him play though. :D
You and your fiance seems like people I would love to hang out with, if it only wasn't for that big patch of water between us.
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Doctor Emmit Brown

Post by Doctor Emmit Brown »

I do remember Erghize, but never played it. Apparently it also sucked so it's no big loss. Dissidia on the other hand is awesomesauce.

Oh, and I downloaded SOTN onto my PSP, but I'm stuck relatively early on. I'm usually good at platformers, but I can't seem to get this one.
"Thanks, Dad! The toy every kid wants, a container ship! Now I can replicate international commerce." - Adam Savage

Minion (and sexual slave) of Asaryu.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

At the moment I am playing a second-hand copy of Metroid Fusion that I rescued from an electronic pawn shop. This is the first time I've been exposed to the original platformer Metroid format. It's good! But I really love the first person explorer format the latest console releases now have.

I've also just borrowed a huge bunch of Gamecube games off a friend, so I'll post about them as I play through them. :D
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Well I've spent most of the day playing through Black and White again... I forgot how much fun it could be dragging a giant creature around and stomping villages and stuff :ymdevil: