Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Azrael »

Forces' Sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn, whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, has passed aged 103. So long Dame Vera, thanks for everything.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Rest in peace, Bilbo Baggins. :((

A bit short of his one hundred and eleventieth birthday, but still very respectable.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Director Joel Schumacher has passed. :( So long, Joel, thanks for the memories.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Ennio Morricone, one of the greatest of modern composers, has passed. Thank you for all your works.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Congressman and civil rights leader John Lewis, often called the 'Conscience of Congress', has passed. :(

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, the conscience of Congress passed some years ago, I think... >_>
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Just one of those days, 'ey Don?
You swine! German nudist chases wild boar that stole laptop wrote:
Photographer who captured moment naked bather gave pursuit says he ‘gave it his all’

‘When he returned from the forest, everyone applauded him.’ The nudist chased the boar - and a yellow bag containing his laptop - into undergrowth near Berlin’s Teufelssee. Photograph: Adele Landauer/pixel8000
A nudist bather who chased a wild boar near a Berlin lake after it stole his laptop was applauded by onlookers after a successful pursuit.

The photographer who captured the drama said the unidentified nudist was happy for her to share the images, which show him in bare-bottomed pursuit of the boar and her two piglets while fellow bathers look on in amusement.

The man’s pursuit had a happy ending when he got his laptop back. Photograph: Adele Landauer/pixel8000
The wild boar, sightings of which have become increasingly common, had apparently spotted a pizza being eaten by other bathers. It seized a yellow bag containing the man’s laptop, probably believing it to contain food, and was chased by the man into the undergrowth.

“Because the bag contained his laptop, he gave it his all, even though he was in his birthday suit,” explained Landauer.

The boar’s flight was slowed by a cardboard box in its path. The man clapped his hands and hit the ground with the stick, prompting the boar to drop the laptop.

Another witness said: “When he returned from the forest, everyone applauded him.”

Derek Ehlert, Berlin’s ombudsman for wild animals, told local media that such incidents had become increasingly common, and that foxes had also become regular visitors to Berlin’s lakeside resorts.

“We urge people not to panic in such a case,” he said. “We have so far had no injuries – the animals are quite used to humans.”
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Colbert called it "the most German thing ever." :D
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Singer-songwriter Justin Townes Earle has passed. No word as to how as yet. One hopes this turns out to be one of those "reports of my death..." things.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

So, it's been one of those days. Drummer Frankie Banali passed also today after a battle with cancer. :(

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

*looks around the world*

man what a fucking mess. we really had it good back in the elder cave era.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Two more who have payed the Boatman. :( Actor Chadwick Boseman has passed after a lengthy battle with cancer. And Joe Ruby, co-creator of Scooby-Doo, has passed of natural causes.

And if the shitshow of 2020 isn't delightful enough for you already, have this lovely kick in the 'nads to go with everything else. :ymtongue:

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Chadwick had atleast FOUR DECADES worth of contributions to make in his acting career and any pursuit he put his mind to. That really fucking sucks.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I heard it first when SidewaysPlatypus wrote me... I confess I did not recognize the name. :( I think I've seen some other movies where he had roles, but he was T'Challa SO MUCH I pretty much ignored the actor behind the character. Then another friend sent a link to a news article which gave a thumbnail on Skype - and my jaw just dropped. :( :( :( :(

One of the most devastating losses in the acting business in a long time.

I had predicted this year would suck hard right at the beginning. I'm still amazed how the year actually outdid my prediction...
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And now for something really weird: Pilots flying in to busy Los Angeles airport sport man on jetpack. We're getting into some Jetsons shit here.