Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

ImpulseOracle

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by ImpulseOracle »

OMG yes. All these antiquated people need to GO.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymsigh:

So, there's been a killing spree in the German city of Würzburg. This hit me a bit harder than it usually would since one of my best friends lives there. He's fine, don't worry. He actually missed it completely, being gone and offline somewhere...

Anyway, the perp did not run around with a gun. He used a KNIFE, killing three people and seriously wounding five others. Seems he ran through a pedestrian area, randomly attacking people. And a lot of otherwise unarmed citizens started hounding him to stop him! When the police arrived, they shot him in the leg and disabled him instead of riddling him with bullets, so they'll be able to question him now.

When I first read about it, I entertained the hope it would be some otherwise nondescript German dude who just snapped after Franz drank all the coffee in the office again and forgot to buy new coffee, also again. A deed where you can say "He went crazy!" and that's pretty much the conclusion.

But no, it was a 24 year old man from Somalia, from what I've read. Who had sought asylum but had been rejected, but had been still here. And there may even be indications that it was an islamic terrorist attack, though those have not been substantiated until now.

Which just means the brown social media sewer of Nazi scumbags must be completely boiling over by now. It's going to be ugly days... #-o
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

See, I've never understood the idea that civilians couldn't have their own guns. People have a right to protect themselves, especially in these kinds of situations. Maybe it's the Moderate in me that thinks that all things have a place in this world (except pedophiles, racists, etc), but I never had a problem with people owning guns.

What I don't agree with is that everybody is allowed to have a gun, in the eyes of the Republican/Conservative people (this coming from somebody who was brainwashed for a long time to think that the Republican party was the only correct party--but that's another story). Background checks--checking for a criminal background or mental health issue--should be mandatory when buying and carrying a gun.

I am glad to see that the police didn't riddle him with bullets--that's not their job. It's nice to see a good example of what a cop should do in a situation like that.

I'm sorry that this has happened and that it is something that affects you. I am glad that you and your friend is okay. I hope that the families and friends of those who were lost during this tragedy find solace that the man was finally stopped and justice will be served.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Hollywood's original William Smith, rival of Philo Beddoe, Father of Conan, hunter of Wolverines, biker, brawler, bodybuilder, champion athlete, poet, actor, villain, hero, and veteran of the Korean War has fallen. So long Bill, thanks for the memories. 07
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

The music world is not doing well...

RIP:

- Mike Howe, singer of Metal Chrurch
- Joey Jordison, former drummer of Slipknot
- Dusty Hill, bassist of ZZ Top
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

OMG I know, I saw this on my Facebook News page! :(( Just wait till Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellan pass away. And Julie Andrews, Dick van Dyke (my personal favorite), etc. :((
ImpulseOracle %%-

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Dang. ZZ Top laid it down for over fifty years without a line-up change and damn little time off. So long, Dusty. Thanks for all the music.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Sadaho Maeda has passed away at 82 - from COVID. :(

Who, you ask? Well, he is better known as Shin'ichi "Sonny" Chiba, legendary martial artist.

And even better known (outside of Japan) as Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill.
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Dang, Tom T. Hall passed too. :( So long, Tom, thanks for all the music.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Not to mention Charlie Watts. :(
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

So we've finally gotten past the 'fuck around' stage, and into the 'find out' stage. Good.
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

So that's what all that wailing and gnashing of teeth I heard earlier today was about. I was wondering. My life was also remarkably unscathed. :ymdevil: