Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by 'J' »

Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop calls lawsuit over exploding vagina-scented candle 'frivolous' wrote: A warning for the $75 Goop candle called "This Smells Like My Vagina" advised users to not burn it for more than two hours at a time.

May 18, 2021, 11:35 AM PDT
By Wilson Wong and Diana Dasrath

A man in Texas is suing Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle company Goop Inc. over a vagina-scented candle that he says "exploded" and became "engulfed in high flames" after burning for a few hours.

In the class-action complaint filed Monday, Colby Watson said he purchased a $75 candle called "This Smells Like My Vagina" from Goop's website in January. Watson said he lit the candle for the first time on his nightstand in February when it allegedly "exploded" and became "engulfed in high flames" after burning for about three hours, according to the court document.

A warning on the vagina-scented candle advised users not to burn it for more than two hours, according to its listing on Goop's website.

Watson acknowledged the "limited warning" on the lifestyle company's website, but claimed that Goop "knew the candles were defective," according to the lawsuit. He added that the blaze left a "black burn ring" on his nightstand and that the jar containing the candle was now "charred and black."

No injuries were reported in the complaint.

“We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product. We stand behind the brands we carry and the safety of the products we sell,” a Goop spokesperson said in a statement to NBC News on Tuesday.

“Here, Heretic — the brand that supplies the candle — has substantiated the product’s performance and safety through industry standard testing,” the spokesperson said.

Watson's lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Here, Heretic also did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The company is not named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Watson is seeking a jury trial and triple compensation as well as punitive damages of more than $5 million for him and others who "through no fault of their own, purchased defective and dangerous vagina-scented candles," according to the complaint.

The lawsuit comes after a woman reported in January that her candle of the same model also allegedly exploded and was set ablaze.

Jody Thompson, of the United Kingdom, wrote in an essay published in The Guardian in March that her candle exploded "a few minutes after" lighting it.

"Flames roared half a metre out of the jar and bits of molten wax flew out as it fizzed and spat," she wrote. "Luckily, I had placed it on concrete, at the base of what was once a fireplace."

Thompson did not report any injuries, but she described the candle jar as "charred" and said the label was "melted." It was unclear if Thompson considered any legal action, but she wrote that a Goop spokesperson offered to send more of its products.

A Goop representative told People at the time: "We're in touch with the woman to see if she followed the specific fire safety instructions included with the candle, such as trimming the wick and not burning it for more than two hours. At goop, we vet the products we sell and make customer safety a priority, so we've alerted the manufacturer to the woman's issue and have also reached out to her to send her some goop products to help pass the days in quarantine."

It isn’t the first time Goop has run into trouble with its products.

The company has been criticized for its at-times dubious health benefits, including an advertisement that falsely claimed its jade and quartz “egg” products could be used to maintain vaginal health. In 2018, Goop agreed to pay $145,000 in civil penalties in a California settlement because the claims were deemed “unsubstantiated.”

“This settlement does not indicate any liability on Goop’s part,” Heather Wilson, a Goop spokesperson, said at the time. “The company has not received any complaints regarding these product claims.”
I have several questions
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

First you smell pussy. Then you die.

Wonder if they also have a warning label: "Do not insert into vagina when lit."

Anyway, now I want to know WHY they explode. Does each candle contain a Gwyneth Paltrow queef core that is combustible?

Also, can we weaponize these?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

'J'

Post by 'J' »

I'm imagining a Loony Toons scene, where the delivery guy from the vagina-scented candle factory runs into the guy from the vagina-scented dynamite factory, and accidentally gets one of their packages switched around.

Somewhere, there's a very hungry coyote writing a one star amazon review.
Yet still, I live...

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well...shit. :( Miura Kentaro, author and artist of Berserk has passed. He was only 54.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

No more Charlie biting fingers for YOU!

This is making me feel REALLY OLD.

Not because Charly and Harry quite probably have fucked girls (or boys, or whatever) by now. No, because of this NFT stuff. I'm always quite amazed at the contrast between SF predictions ("Clavius Moonbase, est. 1992") and how reality is developing. The Internet, cell phones, social media, the Blockchain... Sure, there've been reasonably good predictions on rather short timescales, but abso-freaking-lutely no one 50 years ago predicted ANY OF THIS (to the best of my knowledge).
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Azrael wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Well...shit. :( Miura Kentaro, author and artist of Berserk has passed. He was only 54.
in FFXIV there were people on every server in a circular city lined up across its entire circumference (on some servers two lines form, with automatic functions kicking in to reduce draw distance and eventually stop people from entering the zone when it hit the population limit)

They were all the Dark Knight class, a class which wields a massive 2H sword, basically their entire aesthetic is inspired by Berserk and they paid tribute to the authors passing, standing stoically in line for around 2 days talking about his work and their favorite parts. Bards stood nearby playing music from the anime.

https://i.imgur.com/bpRTcAy.mp4
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I thought the Brood X cicadas were the biblical plague signalling the end times? :P
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:04 pm
I thought the Brood X cicadas were the biblical plague signalling the end times? :P
Have you not been watching the news? Looks pretty end of times to me :-\ Then again, I'm a woman, so a lot of the news that's happening pertains to me. :|
ImpulseOracle %%-

'J'

Post by 'J' »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:04 pm
Nah, that was last year. It's just that it happened in Africa, so nobody cared.
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImpulseOracle wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:12 am
Have you not been watching the news? Looks pretty end of times to me :-\ Then again, I'm a woman, so a lot of the news that's happening pertains to me. :|
Actually I read (rather than watch) a lot of news. Weirdly enough, more American news than European (where I am at).

My general impression has been that the End Times are reasonably receding in the rearview mirror, what with rising vaccinations, summer adding to the suppression of the pandemic, a sane person leading the United States again... (Sure all kind of shit is going down everywhere, but that's the normal state of the world...)
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Yes, thankfully we have a sane person in office again. I don't necessarily agree with some of the things he's done, but he's better than Orange Head was. However, we have voting rights being suppressed, women's rights being suppressed, states killing off keystone species which impacts the environment. Some good stuff has happened but there is definitely room for improvement. Can't keep looking in the rearview mirror--gotta keep working towards the future if change is going to happen.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Tell that to Mitch McConnell...
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Don Alexander wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:29 pm
Tell that to Mitch McConnell...
Ugh, don't even get me started on Mitch McConnell. He's horrible. There really needs to be term limits for these people, I swear.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Agreed. This would free us of Pelosi as well, so double win.