Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Don Alexander »

My home town is in the international news...

...in a terrible way. :(((((

It's so freaky to see a picture on CNN and it's a place you've been literally thousands of times (main market square, lay on the route from bus stop to school...)!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Bummer
Yet still, I live...

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Maj. Gen. Charles E. Yeager USAF Ret. has flown his final mission. Fighter ace. Veteran of three wars. Test pilot. First man to survive breaking the sound barrier. Legend. A full life, fully lived. So long, Chuck. 07 **==
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

My reaction to Chuck Yeager's death was, admittedly: "What?? He was still alive??" What a guy!

In further sad news, Jeremy Bulloch has passed. You don't know who that is? Neither did I!

But you likely knew him as... BOBA FETT. So first David Prowse, now him... ;(

And this just after The Mandalorian revealed Boba Fett is still alive...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So, Georgiagate?

Not that it is going to matter. most of the Republicans will turn a deaf ear. "I have yet to hear the recording..." stuff like that.
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

best part is he instructed his people to only release the recording if trump attacks him publicly and then Trump does it sunday morning. what a moron.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Sigh.

I miss the old forum.

America just had another "Day of Infamy" and no one is here to say anything... :(

You know, I've been raising my eyebrow a bit at statements such as "attempted overthrow of government" and "domestic terrorist attack". Seems a bit of an exaggeration to me. I mean, things that definitely did not happen:

- Storm of the building with guns blazing, out to kill as many "traitorous Republicans" (and of course Democrats) as possible
- Massive property damage and attempted actual destruction of the building
- Coordinated attempt to really overthrow the government by violent means (always supremely ironic as that would imply especially overthrowing the president who happens to be "theirs").

Instead, we had people getting their picture taken in Nany Pelosi's office or walking around with a confederate flag and stuff like that. I am in no form or fashion defending these MAGA idiots and all of them should at the very least face stiff fines if not prison for the crap they pulled off. But some apocalyptic American Ragnarok this was not.

Also, since these jerks are so good at believing conspiracy theories, here's my own, completely unfounded one, no proof at all:

Trump and his family are deepcover Democrat operatives. After all, basically everything Trump has been doing in recent weeks (essentially years, but especially lately) has totally shredded his legacy (which would have been bad enough even if he had immediately conceded the election and initiated the peaceful transfer of power), torn the Republican party apart, led to the Democrats taking the Senate :ymparty: and potentially now leading to his removal from office before January 20th. All of this is playing into the hands of the Democrats and doing massive, massive long-term damage to the Republican party. If they actually split into "classic Republican" and "Trumpublican", neither will win an election for a long time to come because about half the country is the other side, willing to compromise when it comes to progressive vs. centrist. So, yes, a cabal of sneaky, very competent Democrats has been working on this for many years, injecting this all-destructive virus into the heart of their enemies to burn them up from within!!!
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

You're not saying anything that hasn't crossed my mind before several times on a few issues. To be frank about my opinion, American politics has become a wretched hive of scum and villainy where there isn't a lot to choose from on either side.

I am curious to see just how blatantly hypocritical the Leftists are going to be about this riot though. I mean, hey, all those Antifa riots we had in various places around the country this past year even into the new year lauded as "peaceful protests" by the Left when they were trashing the livelihoods of the common people. But when it's against them? I wonder just how much hair-tearing and chest-beating condemnation they are going to indulge in here.

As food for thought, here is an opinion piece from September much in line with your thoughts above.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Oh, please.

Were there riots and looting spread among the BLM protests? Yes, of course they were. But those were also condemned be the Democrats (just as many Republicans ARE decrying the Capitol riot, and rightly so!), not to mention large parts of the protest movement themselves.

I was reminded today that some months ago, Trump signed an executive order that anyone who "defaces national monuments" should go to prison for up to ten years. I sure saw a lot of national-monument defacing yesterday. :))
ImageImage

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Don Alexander wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:31 pm
Sigh.

I miss the old forum.

America just had another "Day of Infamy" and no one is here to say anything... :(
We tired, brah.
Yet still, I live...

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

its absolute insanity there, especially as more details come up about the extent of the lunacy carried out that day and how serious things WOULD have got if they hadnt exacuated the politicians.

These things escalate. Ifthere arent serious consequences for this to both the capital rioters and the politicians who encouraged it, next time it will be MUCH worse.

none of this abusive-husband-style "unity and healing" bulshit. Consequences and punishment against the divisive will bring unity and make the way for healing, otherwise in 5-10 years they'll come back worse and U.S. will hav a Serbia type situation.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

"exacuated"

When they try to evacuate you but the others get to you faster and execute you.

#HangMikePence

Yeah, the first assessment I posted above was "fog of war", of course, based on the known facts at the time, when it had at least been clear that none of the politicians had been hurt or more than one person really killed on the premises. A REALLY horrible outcome would have been clear right from the start.

I fear future historians will not talk much about the Capitol riot beyond "That was just the start, when everything was still fun and games."

My mom had been seriously worried they'd assassinate Obama just for his skin tone. But now I'm really worried about Biden, pasty old ghost that he is. Marjorie Taylor-Greene wants to impeach him already this Friday.
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

speaking of historians. this one hurts and makes me sadder each time i remember it https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... tem-635164
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And in the most important, relevant, and Earth-shaking news for the 20th day of January 2021: Scientists have discovered a fully preserved dinosaur butthole on a Psittacosaurus specimen from China.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Just because 2020 is over does not mean the dying of idols has ceased...

RIP Christopher Plummer :( Such a distinguished actor.
ImageImage