Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Asaryu »

I don't honestly think he was elected cos he was black...I think he was elected despite it. But I think I have expressed my views in previous threads.

I was annoyed at the vapid columnists that decided that the first lady's clothing choice was worthy of 2 articles in the free train newspaper. I mean, it's a shitty paper, but 2 articles for her choice of dress?
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Sorry guys, but can we cut all of the politics talk please. It's upet several people with the aggessive stance thats been taken by some forum members over it, so therefore, in the interest of forum peace and wellbeing, please don't talk about it anymore.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Which just devalued this thread down to Michelle Obama's dress discussion (wait, that's probably politics as well...).
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

/:) ...why do i get the feeling i will not like what i am going to see if i try to understand what happened here...
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Scaramouche wrote:4. His colour shouldn't even be an issue. Only his qualifications and policies should matter. Every silly goat saying it's great simply because "He's black!" should be considered racist. Personally I don't give a rat's arse about such politically correct nonsense, but I dislike the double standards displayed by politically correct people.
Touché, sir, touché. I like him for his policies and because he's genuine. I don't care what colour he is, and as you've said, he's a bit of both anyway.

I think the Americans are just happy to have someone in the room with the red button who actually owns a brain.

EDIt - Sorry, Bear. Didn't realise there was a 2nd page.

Skyler

Post by Skyler »

Bear wrote:Sorry guys, but can we cut all of the politics talk please. It's upet several people with the aggessive stance thats been taken by some forum members over it, so therefore, in the interest of forum peace and wellbeing, please don't talk about it anymore.
I wasn't trying to start anything, merely commenting on the bias of American news media and its affect on public opinion both in the United States and abroad as to whether or not Obama is the man for the job.

Back on topic, however, the first drafts for the closing of Guantanamo Bay are being passed about the White House staff today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090121/ap_ ... guantanamo

No news on the fate of the 245 inmates.
"My work's illegal, but at least it's honest."
-Malcolm Reynolds

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Skyler wrote:
Scaramouche wrote:1. It's not even our country, although sure, Bush made certain the USA had an enormous effect here as well, and in that respect it does affect us.
Was there a lot of support for Obama in Australia? Campaign finances have always been an issue in the American political system but a lot of his campaign funds came seem to have come from oversees interests. It's not necessarily legal, not by a long shot but I doubt it make headlines. After all, our American media is portraying him as a messiah.

While the majority of the American people seem to be buying into this, for the sake of our country I hope their right but I don't imagine he'll have much pressure for real progress when he can simply place blame for any potentially flawed policies on the mistakes of the last eight years.
Yeah, Obama was definitely the favourite in the press in Australia, and everyone here seems to think he's the second coming.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

its jason lee all over again! AHHHH!

say what do you think really happened with him in the crow movie?

accident or hit?
Last edited by Tenjen on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

JMac85 wrote:
Skyler wrote:
Scaramouche wrote:After all, our American media is portraying him as a messiah.
Given what we were coming out of, and who his opposition was, had Hilly won the primaries she'd be elevated to goddessness too.

Yes, it's a bit silly, and it'll only let a whole lot of people down if/when it turns out Obama is just another politician and falls short on delivering us to the promise land. But hey, Bush is finally gone, let the people celebrate! :ymparty:
Indeed, anyone replacing Bush is good. Obama will be seen in contrast to Bush, which will pump peoples' opinion of him more than it might be otherwise. Obama will also be credited with leading the USA out of the current financial crisis, even though anyone in charge at the time would have been in the exact same position when the economic slump ends.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Bear wrote:Sorry guys, but can we cut all of the politics talk please. It's upet several people with the aggessive stance thats been taken by some forum members over it, so therefore, in the interest of forum peace and wellbeing, please don't talk about it anymore.
OK.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Tenjen wrote:its jason lee all over again! AHHHH!

say what do you think really happened with him in the crow movie?

accident or hit?
I'd say it was a hit. Not the old guy, but Lee. That old guy is cool. "Meh, I got shot in the head. Oh well. See you Friday!"
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Asaryu: That totally made my day! :))

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

frikkin animagus's
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

One day I am sooo going to start my Crusade to purge the tide of human stupid out there... We had idiots out there who used to try that here too... stupidly, they tried to do it while riding a moped. Not being the most agile of things, the last time anyone tried doing it to me they ended up with a clothsline manouver full of fist and a smashed moped.