The Techno-Cave

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Ithilion

Re: The Techno-Cave

Post by Ithilion »

bear, we are more advanced than we think... but greed is holding the general population back... to a large degree this is because of a moronic patent system
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

As someone who does keep up recently well with modern technology, I can only agree with bear...

*wants dream machines, total virtual immersion like in Matrix, spaceships, fusion power, turing-grade AIs and autodocs*

NOAW!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Oh I know we're more advanced then the majority of people think... heck, they've had hydrogen fuel cell cars for some time now, the power plant of which could run your house, as are we experimenting with nuclear fussion (fusing atoms together rather then busting them appart for energy) , carbon nano tubes which could be tough enough to make a space elevator and loads of other things.... the point is, without the parts of history, and the greed and stupidity of people and corporations... we'd be even more advanced then we are now. Heck.. the forum would be a holosuite by now if we'd not had the periods of being stupid with technology and forgetting things we'd learnt or not believing in new ways.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Y'know, all the technological advances in the world don't matter to me unless they develop one things I've always wanted...

A rocket jetpack. C'mon, it's every kid's dream! :D

Of course, there is always the problem of getting the thing to work without scorching your ass as you fly... :))
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

And the bugs…and the inevitable collisions with everything…

And the pain in the ass of collecting the six rare parts, blasting your way through Death Watch guards and Super Battle Droids to the bottom of the Death Watch Bunker on Endor, fighting through the poisonous alum mines to the jetpack crafting room, then protecting the Engineering Trader from the guards that spawn when he starts making the jetpack—oh, wait, that’s only for making jetpacks in Star Wars Galaxies. :P
I think outside the tesseract.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I think they need to invent heat-proof underoo's before they even think about inventing a real jetpack. /:)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Nah, you just to need to use divergent angles of thrust on the jets so that the heat generated is deflected away from your body.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Someone has already done it, btw. Yves Rossy , also known as JetMan or FusionMan.

http://jet-man.com/prod/index_en.html

This is the link to his site, where you can watch his videos. Available in French and English.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I just want my flying car. And not that cheesey little sub-sub-compact they hung wings and a tail on, all though that was kind of neat.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Are vibro swords actually possible?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

Bear wrote:I'm actually kinda of disapointed that technology isn't more advanced... Theres many things that we've been experimenting with for years now, yet they are only just being taken seriously. Electric car for instance...the principle has been around since the 70's, yet its only now that we're running out of oil that the companies are taking them seriously.

Whats worse I find is that our overall level of technology could have been much improved. Without the Dark Ages, we'd be much more advanced. Think about it... The Romans had engineering, sewer systems, under floor heating, principles for mass manufacture and intensive farming... Yet, the Empire fell and we had a period of hundreds of years where we forgot all of that... Notto mention we could have had computers much sooner if they'd been taken seriously in the 1800's with the Difference Engine being invented...
Electric cars have been around for longer than gasoline and diesel cars technically, but back then people thought gasoline was more environmental friendly, and then they realized that they could make shitloads of money on oil...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car#History
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

oh and lets not forget what we lost with the alexanderian Library going poof.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

They already have sonic devices that they use in surgery for cutting, so a vibro-blade wouldn't be a huge leap in logic to construct.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy

Post by Radbaron »

A vibro-blade shouldnt be all THAT hard to make. If you use "memory metal" that uses extended as it's heated state and curled up as the cold state, once a charge goes through the wire, it would extend to it's 1-metre length. Setting up a high frequency vibration might require a large oscillating crystal, and the energy source would have to be very powerful. So unless you can shrink a car battery down to a pair of Energizer D cells, you're going to have a backpack for a power supply.

hmmm, back pack power supply.... anyone see Egon around lately? :-B 8-x

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Is this the correct thread to ask about computery problems? They seem techy enough for the Techno-Cave.

I don't want a repeat of the Vista burning on the Jabber thread that happened last time I asked about a computer issue... as much as I would like to see Vista dying in a fire.

My problem involves iTunes, of all programs. I've been using iTunes since I got my second ever laptop, and I've never had a problem with it before. Or at least I think it involves iTunes, because I really don't want to consider the possibility that the issue is with my 500GB external hard drive. Or the files in it.

I seem unable to play some mp3s. Some of these mp3s were downloaded some years ago, some were ripped off CDs I've honestly bought, but most were mooched off an iTunes fag who actually buys his music downloads. These files have been working for ages. Until last night.

Suddenly some of my mp3s will play normally, some will play a second or so and then skip to the next track along, and some will not register at all. I just get the "file could not be found" message. I've tried deleting and re-importing my entire iTunes library a few times now- yet the only thing that changes is which files will work or not.
During this process iTunes was being exceptionally unresponsive- for example, instead of clicking open its tab down the bottom, I had to minimize everything else so it would show up by default. Only then could I do stuff with it. Or try to.

And occasionally, to my horror, my external hard drive decided to join in on the fun. I almost kicked it when it decided to tell me that all my folders inside the hard drive were empty, yet it was still somehow storing 110 GB. Cringingly I shut the bloody machine off at the power socket and plugged it in again, because it didn't want to respond to the "safely remove USB device" maneuvre, and it then told me everything was alright and still in there.

Even weirder, QuickTime refuses to play any file that decides to not work. I tell a file to open with it, and it just never gets back to me. So far I've decided to uninstall iTunes and QuickTime, and try reinstalling. Let's hope that helps.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.