The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by yiraheerai »

Leaving for San Diego early tomorrow morning. I have no idea what we're going to be doing or if I'll have much time to check computer stuff. SO MUCH TO DO. Won't be back until Thursday. Will probably start posting regularly again on Friday.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Good luck, have fun, and a safe trip, Yira. :D :ymhug:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

YOU'RE LEAVING THE STATE??? :-o

:P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

mikbuster wrote:Whitesnake... is that an ancient rock band? [/clueless young person question]
Either that or an ancient euphemism for the penis :ymdevil:
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I DID leave the state! :o

So far, so good. We have some awesome views of the water - on both sides of the resort. We took a shuttle from the airport to the resort, so we don't know what we're going to do yet about travelling to see the Zoo and maybe a museum or two. May have to pay for a rental car. It's beautiful out here *_*
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

...and she never returned to the desert again. The End :)
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Dude, the desert is so much better. ;)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Oh I'm definitely returning. My dog's at home and this city is just Too Big for me. Taken off facebook because I am TIRED and fixing to bug Mom for a back rub.

So, today was productive. Found a blister on my toe that burst without my realizing it; got to ride in a mustang; shopped at a Sanrio store; managed to get lost and freaked the hell out; found out big cities like this aren't for me and proceeded to be incredibly homesick. I want my puppy.

So those people who say you have to get lost at least once in a big city. Fuck. That. Shit.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Necroooooooooooooooooooooo...

So, right now, I'm home, visiting my mom again, a kind of vacation before my job resumes on November 2. Probably no one cares but I'm going to write this stuff down anyway.

My trip home is generally about 485 km (300 miles), and depending on how fast I drive, it usually takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours. The eastern half of the route is "non-negotiable", taking the A4 west through Thuringia and eastern Hesse, to a point close to a city named Gießen. There, I can either continue roughly west along a country road to a town called Limburg, where I hit the big A3 northwest to Cologne, though I myself turn off toward Koblenz in the Rhine valley, and then through the Eifel mountains (north of the Moselle river) to Trier. The alternate route is to go southwest past Gießen to Frankfurt, then on to Wiesbaden, Mainz, and into the Hunsrück mountains (south of the Moselle). The two routes are almost exactly the same length, and each contains a stretch of country road where you need to drive more slowly. I normally take the first route to Trier, and the other one back, just to have some variability. But since my last return trips would have brought me into the Frankfurt area in the late afternoon, I always used route A, both ways. And generally, no matter where I travel, I get through without incident; the traffic jams and accidents are almost always on the other side.

This return home was NOT without incident, nooolee! This time, since it was Sunday, I decided to take the Frankfurt route west, the "rarest" trip for me. I left - about 15 minutes later than I had planned to - at 2:45 P.M. I had called my mom, saying to expect me between 8:00 and 8:30 P.M. Giving me an easy 5.5 hours, drive 100 km/h, save some gas. Time for supper.

Everything went fine until I reached a place called Bad Hersfeld, where there's a big Amazon warehouse. I was opening a bottle of drink between my legs when it slipped out of my hands, the cap sliding over my leg and down next to the seat. I barely managed to grab the bottle's neck between my ring finger and pinky, somewhat painful, actually, and some of my ice tea spilled on my t-shirt. Not much, luckily. This was all rather annoying since I was just on the passing lane and losing speed! But I got the bottle up, managed to reach into the back for an empty one, exchanged caps... A bit later, I managed to find the cap next to my seat - only to push it even further in! It's still there now, hidden treasure... :P

If that had been the whole of my "adventures", I'd not be writing this. Not too long afterward, though, approaching a big Autobahn crossing point called the Kirchheimer Dreieck, I suddenly landed in a traffic jam. Stop-and-go traffic. It went on and on and on. Two police cars passed, I thought there must be an accident up ahead, but I never saw anything. It's just that the Autobahn is three lanes here, then goes down to two, and in the triangle, down to one lane for a short bit before merging with another Autobahn. It seems it was just the traffic volume. Where the hell so much traffic came from on a Sunday, I do not know. The joined Autobahns go on for a few miles to yet another splitting point, the Hattenbacher Dreieck, where they go their separate ways again. This is a long climb up a hill, and on top there's a construction site, though no lanes are closed, they just get less wide. In the middle of the construction site, the backup just magically disappeared, suddenly everyone was up to 80 again and there was loads of road between the cars. :-?? I stopped at a rest station shortly afterward to tell my mom I'd be late - and decided to drop the driving 100, so as to be able to catch up.

But no! Near Gießen, I stay on the Autobahn, and just 10 minutes later, at yet another triangle (Gambacher Dreieck), the next traffic jam. There were lots of cars coming from the other Autobahn, the access ramp was also clogged. Okay, I get it, they need to merge... But the traffic jam just continued! Three lanes, and it was nothing but stop, go a bit, stop again, go... I felt I could have walked faster, it took 30 minutes just to go a few klicks. Then, another construction site comes up. The culprit? Well, not really! It stays three lanes, again, the width is somewhat reduced, there's a speed limit of 100 (which is quite fast in a construction site, usually it's 80 or 60) - and right after entering the construction, everything speeds up and the traffic jam melts away. Like magic. Bad magic!

While there's a lot of traffic around Frankfurt, it flows smoothly. On to Wiesbaden - and there, not too far from the city and the horrible dilapidated bridge where you cross the Rhine (Schiersteiner Brücke, they've been renovating it since forever...), there's a sign stating that the Autobahn is closed off due to construction. Oh, HELL! I get rerouted back south again, back on to the Autobahn I had already been on! And then across another bridge, now to the south of Mainz instead of to the north, then west past that city (Mainz and Wiesbaden form a kind of double city on the two sides of the Rhine; amusingly, Mainz is the state capital of Rhineland-Palatinate, Wiesbaden [and not Frankfurt!] the state capital of Hesse), where I land in another short-lived traffic backup... Thank you for the 20 km detour!! 8-|

After passing Mainz, at least, it was smooth sailing, but I did not get home until nearly 9:30 P.M., after a friggin' 6.5 hour trip! #:-s One thing is sure, it was not boring!! (Oh, and of course, my mom had eaten without me...)
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

What? You couldn't make a 300 mile trip in less than three hours? But...you're in Germany. I am disappoint. :p

Good to hear you made it safely home, Alex. Enjoy your vacation. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Despite what people may think, only a rather small portion of German Autobahns have no speed limits. And even in those cases, heavy traffic would prevent you from consistently going over 100 miles an hour.

Then of course, there's those country roads I mentioned, AND do you recall me saying something about saving gas? :P
ImageImage

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

I'll depart for Boston on Thursday to see the Dresden Dolls. And then I'm off to New York to see..... The Dresden Dolls. :D
I'm beyond excited!
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

hope you have a great time!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Awesome! I've had Good Day stuck in my head for.. days. I hope you have fun.