The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by Don Alexander »

TheDude wrote:I'll depart for Boston on Thursday to see the Dresden Dolls. And then I'm off to New York to see..... The Dresden Dolls. :D
I'm beyond excited!
Groupie! :P

Nice to hear from you again! :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Welcome to the United States, Dude. Hope you have a pleasant time and a great couple of concerts. :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, I had some moderately extensive - and dangerous - travels these last days.

I was in my hometown over Christmas, visiting my mom. I then took her to the hospital for hip replacement (she was successfully operated on on Tuesday :) ), and day before yesterday, I traveled to southeastern Bavaria to visit my two future bosses and pick up my snazzy work laptop! :D B-)

It's been quite cold recently in Germany, and the eastern part has been hit by snow. So to make sure, I took a somewhat circuitous route to always be on Autobahns. All in all, it took my 7 hours, but I was on time for supper. :D Not really worth discussing.

Then, yesterday, from there up to my university town - which should be a rather easy 3.5 hr drive. My friends told me weather for the trip was looking fine, really cold but sunshine all the way.

Yeah, haha. :|

I hit the first snow cloud not a half hour out. Then several further going north through Bavaria - one even strong enough to coat the road with some snow quickly.

But that was nothing compared to Thuringia. :-T

Halfway through, near a town called Schleiz, there's a long downhill/uphill part. The construction that had been going on for years there and to the north is finally finished, but now there was a fire truck standing at the beginning of the downslope with flashing warnings: Accident and Extreme Ice Conditions!

So I drove down the hill carefully. Luckily, not much traffic, though people on the other side were creeping up, not really a traffic jam but moving slowly. At the bottom, traffic slowed down on my side considerably as well, and we passed the accident site. Seemed to be a truck which had either loaded something hazardous or had lost gasoline, there was a hazmat truck there and everything.

But this did not take very long, and I accelerated...

And then it started to snow. Really, really hard. The world pretty much disappeared in front of me and everything was grayed out. Snow on the road piled up rapidly, and soon everyone was down to driving like 25 mph and being super careful. I'm pretty sure this is the most extreme winter conditions I have driven through, and I'm really happy it was still daylight!!

But I got though without trouble, and by the time I reached my place, it was mostly clear, dusk, and Venus was blazing in the heavens. (*)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Glad to hear your Mom's procedure was successful and glad to hear you made it home safely. #:-s

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

What he said. :)

Then no need to quote. :P The DAMNed
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

That sounds mildly entertaining. I've driven through worse, but on roads absolutely nobody else was on, making it simultaneously safer and more deadly :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

How scary D: I'm glad you made it safe and your mom's surgery went well!
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Hola todos!

Greetings from Espana! :D

I'm here not just for a short visit... but "permanently"! Today, I have started a new two-year contract here!

Also, these last two days, I drove 2100 km down here... Hoooooly shit, never again. At least not for a long time.
ImageImage

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

that's really great.

so, are you doing horoscopes for a newspaper, or do you have one of those call-in shows, like miss cleo?
Yet still, I live...

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Congratulations Don! :ymapplause:
BTW, how many languages do you speak?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Congrats! :ymparty:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

That's great to hear, Alex. Enormous conga-rats! :D :ymparty:

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

'J' wrote:so, are you doing horoscopes for a newspaper, or do you have one of those call-in shows, like miss cleo?
Oh, come one, show a bit of intelligence. I could just call-in horoscopes from Germany. No, I'll have my own TV show.
Lokitsu wrote:BTW, how many languages do you speak?
Actually, just German and English. I also know a bit of French from school which is partially helpful reading Spanish...
ImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

YEAY! Congrats on the job!
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Heading to Las Vegas tomorrow :) I should be back at the end of the week.