The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by Don Alexander »

Ugh.

Tomorrow, I fly to Spain for a scientific conference. It's the first conference I'm attending since before I even joined this forum (though not since before I started reading Ma3)...

I'm an invited speaker again, which is cool.

But at the moment, I'm dreadfully unprepared:

- I have not written my talk yet. At all. I don't even know exactly what I want to talk about. Also, it's just ~25 Minutes, and I find it hard to be brief.
- I only got the mail from the airline concerning my boarding pass this morning. Yeah, Saturday morning, when I'm far from any printers. Not to mention the mail was an HTML mail, and so badly written that the needed HTML link to the web page where I get my boarding pass file was not even included in the text-only version. Luckily, I was able to download the mail under windows and display it correctly. But I'll have to send myself the links if I want to print it (Linux computer at work).
- As I just now found out, the airline allows (free-of-charge, that is) only a single piece of hand luggage, weighing 6 kg max. Not including laptop. so my laptop is basically going to be my hand luggage because no way am I going to let it be tossed around by the baggage handlers. :-Q And it's a BIG laptop... L-) I worry it will weigh too much, at least with assorted peripherals included (the transformer cable, you could kill someone with that...).
- They canceled the reception tomorrow evening. All this effort to get a flight that brings us there in time for the reception, and... :|
- I'm seriously worried all the internet there will be WLAN only. And since my WLAN on my laptop does not work... No internet. :|

So, yeah, right now I'm pretty fed up with everything. Must force myself to start working on my talk... It's on Tuesday afternoon, and I basically have today and tomorrow evening... :-ss
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Best of luck and have as much fun as you can! :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, now we are here. It's hot, I wonder how I can get something to drink that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, and of course I have no Internet because it is WLAN-only!!! X(

Was nice already seeing a lot of people I haven't seen in years, and meeting new ones I only know from e-mails! :D

*hoogs the yira* tankoo!

Now I have to write my talk without an Internet connection...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, here goeth nothing!

For my four months of work in Munich, I got ten days of vacation. Which means 2 x 5 days, together with the weekend, two weeks! And since "official business" ends Friday, the 21st, I was able to use my two weeks before that, and Christmas is off anyway, so...

I'm finished here, and the month is just 1/4 over! :D

So, I'm packing up my stuff and heading back to "university home" now, and then, next weekend probably, I'll be driving to real home, to my parents, to spend Christmas. :)

Looking forward to it muchly.

The trip will be a bit nervewracking now, though, as there's a lot of snow in the mountains. I guess the autobahn will be free, though.

See ya on the other side!!
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Safe trip! :ymhug:
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Tankoo!

I nearly died.

But I'm okay.

More tomorrow. :P
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Glad to hear you made it one piece, Alex. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

He says while I freak out at the "almost died"

*clings*

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

THE STORY OF HOW I ALMOST DIED

Disclaimer: "How I almost died" may be hyperbole. It's not like I had a horrible car crash, my heart stopped beating for five minutes... I would hardly be able to write you now already, in that case. :P Nor was it a clear-cut situation like someone who is shot at, and the bullet zings an inch past their head. No, what (essentially did not) happen to me may have ended in whiplash and financial ruin, but not "more". Or, I may have died.

So, winter has arrived in Germany, quite early, I feel (usually December is still soggy and rainy and it doesn't get cold and snowy [if it ever does] until January). I got my winter tires on Tuesday, because the weather forecast for the weekend was snow and cold.
So, usually, Munich an environs are quite destined for winter, being close to the Alps and all - e.g., we already got a liberal dumping of snow in late October (though it thawed the next day). But this time, southeastern Germany was actually spared the worst weather. On Friday, loads of snow were dumped on western Germany, and we got barely anything. This was the main reason for not leaving until Saturday. But still, I was lulled into a false sense of security.
When I left Munich, it was dry, and a few degrees below freezing. Now, I may have been a bad physicist here... I did not have much gas left, and was hoping to make it back to workhome with that. to save gas, I did not turn the heat on, thinking that would just use too much gas. Now, in retrospect, it's clear that air conditioning on a hot day definitely decreases your mileage, but most of the heating just comes from the air used to cool the motor...
Anyway, moving north, temps soon dropped, and it became freezing cold in my car. What was worse, I had not even put on my gloves and leather coat. Duh. So I had not even made it 100 miles north when I decided I had to put stuff on. I combined this with a trip to a Burger King because I wanted to warm up and was hungry. I had extra printed some coupons for this. ;) Incidentally, at this Burger King, I found paradise, but like Adam and Eve, i was kicked out. Well, not really, but... more on that later.
Back on the road, I was soon annoyed. My gloves have straps on their wrists, with Velcro, that you can pull tight to seal them. I had left them open, and they were dangling and disturbing me while I drove. So I decided to close them up. I checked in my mirrors that no one was nearby - traffic was very light and the next cars were hundreds of yards away in either direction. I switched on the light, tightened the straps, focused back on the street...

... and saw I was already fully on the emergency lane, heading toward the guard rail at 60 mph!! X_X

I slammed the brakes, twisted the wheel...

And was back on the road, no problems, no damage, no cars nearby or anything.

And that was how I nearly died. I guess I was no more than half a second from impact. What kind of weirded me out was my reaction to it. No scare, no flipping out, no drained feeling of relief. Just a kind of "Oops, that was rather stupid" feeling.

The funniest thing about it, though?? Just before turning on the lights to fix the straps, I was singing "Dumb ways to die"!! =)) =)) =))

Anyway, chastened, I continued on my way. I had been lucky, but someone else had not been. :(

Maybe 40 miles north, I was approaching a mountainous area named the "Frankonian Switzerland" when a police car zoomed past me, flashers going, probably doing at least 100 mph! Shortly afterward, another followed, and then a... hm, not ambulance, but a fast car which carries a doctor to an accident site (not anything you can load a patient into). Obviously an accident up ahead...
It took another six, seven miles, before I came upon it. It was at the top of a hill, and there, a whole platoon of emergency vehicles occupied the emergency lane. Police, ambulance, fire trucks, and some more "civilian" cars that had orange flashers. The amount of blazing blue lights was cacophonous, almost seizure-inducing. As mentioned, traffic was very light, and two lanes were still free, so there was no backup. I drove past the crash site carefully, also of course trying to see what was going on.
Finally, past the platoon of cars and trucks, there was an area harshly bathed in the glow of floodlights, and there I saw...

Nothing. :|

No crashed vehicle(s). But also... No guardrail. Probably 100 feet of no guardrail. And beyond that? More nothing. An inky blackness without trees.

It seems there was a steep drop there, and something... something big! had shot out off the road, tore away a huge amount of guardrail, and plunged down the slope. :-ss

Hours later, safely home after going to the movies immediately from the Autobahn ( :P ), I checked the news but found nothing. So I assume whatever happened was not as big a catastrophe as it looked. Maybe a single truck, driver injured but not dead. That would probably not make the news.
ImageImage

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Just a side note on traveling with Don... don't! :D
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I don't do stuff like that when I have other people in the car. :P
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Oh, right, I mentioned the whole thing about paradise...

Anyway, next to the BK was a filling station, and diesel was 1.419 Euros per Liter (that's 5.64 dollars per gallon, dear US peepz). Now, this actually seemed pretty cheap to me, but I had not checked gas prices in weeks... So I decided not to fill up, since I knew there was a Jet filling station at an Autobahn crossing not far from my destination where gas cost the same as in town.
So i continued on my way... and did not make it. I had arrived at the former Iron curtain, which is now just the border between Bavaria and Thuringia. My car was telling me a range of 50 km, and the next filling station (which was the Jet I was angling for) was 55 away. Yeah, I probably would have made it, I once drove 20 km with it claiming range 0... But I did not want to risk it, so I pulled into the Agip on the Thuringinan side of the border... and it cost 1.499!!! :-o I wasted over 5 Euros!!!
And what was more, I just wanted to get gas for 10 Euros to get me home, but then I put the pump on auto and walked away, and by the time I came back, I already had gas for 27 Euros in the tank, so i filled the damned thing up.
The Jet then had gas for 1.459 Euros per liter... :(

So now I know where to get gas if I'm ever down there again. which might be a long time from now...
ImageImage

Otaku201
BANNED

Post by Otaku201 »

I spent 2 weeks in Mexico and came back in one piece, though 10 lbs lighter due to a rather horrible last day.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Montezuma caught up with you, eh? :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

mac2

Post by mac2 »

I drove about an hour down the road today to visit my friend Sara's farm.
DSCF0083small.JPG
DSCF0083small.JPG (72.98 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
She has a few horses, but she mostly raises sheep for wool. Right now she has a tiny lamb named Maisie living in her kitchen.
DSCF0089small.JPG
DSCF0089small.JPG (67.88 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
Sara's neighbor has several beehives, and on warm days in the winter they come out looking for food. Sara keeps some honey around for them. As soon as they find where she's drizzled some on the porch rail they all belly up to the bar.
DSCF0082small.JPG
DSCF0082small.JPG (66.82 KiB) Viewed 7340 times
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.