Dreams!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

mikbuster

Re: Dreams!

Post by mikbuster »

I was dreaming this morning about novelty glasses that showed people as they were in the future, with the distance into the future being different depending on the glasses. They also showed how much money a person had, for some reason. They seemed pretty nifty, but it was probably a commercial transmitted into my brain from the future made to seem like a dream, so of course they'd seem nifty.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

I was dreaming today, while driving, about being an actress. I was cast as the love interest for a female lead. They altered the part slightly at my suggestion, making my character asexual. There was a scene near the end where my character saved her, injuring herself. The end of the movie was me walking with a cane and she scoops me up in her arms in a big hug and carrying me away. There were alternate scenes shot with a more traditional kiss of course... And the love, or the faked version of it, felt nice. And that they changed the character for me and it made everything just so cute...

Think that's part of why I'm so drained. I was in a nice world, and it's gone.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

mikbuster wrote:I was dreaming today, while driving,
And they say texting while driving is dangerous...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Last night, I had a nightmare about being stuck in a town with strange people. The men in the town were all pawing at me, waving their penises at me, and it was hard to find any women. I think that some of the men even went beyond just pawing at me…I remember pain in various places…some of the dream was very hectic. It wasn’t until I finally found a window that opened onto a field that lead to a forest that I found a way out, and there were women there beckoning for me to follow them into the woods. I was able to open the window and escape.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

That sounds horrible D: *Woman Hugs of Comfort*

It wasn't last night but I did have a dream where I was with the team in the TV show Scorpion with.. various super powers. At one point, I was The Phoenix. OF ALL THINGS. THE PHOENIX. -_- THANKS JEAN GREY.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

:ymhug:

There was a train, an explosion, people falling off into the water, clothing outfits coming to life.
Everything seemed so normal...

My brain may not have been functioning well this morning... today... tonight...

yes, clothing zombies were bringing about the apocalypse...

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Penguins are like really nice. I was talking to one last night. He took me underwater to meet his family. Lots and lots of penguins. It was chilly. Other stuff happened.
As a cat, I think this makes one type of bird I won't eat now.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

This... will take a while.

As some of you may recall, I hardly ever get nightmares, so whenever one does happen, it's a quite memorable experience. This one was not your usual run of the mill nightscream horror dream. It was different and surprising. Read on...

The dream takes place in some generic town or city, not too small, not too large, in the central strip of Germany, the "Mittelgebirge" (middle mountains), a worn down mountain chain half a billion years old. As so many other places, a river cuts through this town, though the valley is quite narrow. Except for a small, winding strip of land around the river, most of the town is built on to the hillsides.

I am visiting a friend of mine (a really existing person). This friend, in the dream, is not working on his physics PhD as in real life, but has studied chemistry and is now the safety supervisor of a chemical plant down in the town. We are at the town's university and it seems there is some kind of open house day. A slew of science people have been giving talks anyone can attend, and it seems the focus of the talks is a kind of "show and tell". The talks do not take place in a seminar room, but right in the entrance hall of the university building, a large, wide-open space. Folding chairs have been place here, offering seats for several dozen people who may come and go as they please. The ceiling is high above us and the further floors of the building can be seen - there's an open gallery on each floor, a kind of cross between a hallway and a balcony.

While I do not really recall this part, I too have given a presentation. My object to show and tell about is rather mediocre in nature. It seems to be a kind of stress relief ball. But instead of being a plastic sphere with some kind of thick fluid or sand inside, it's a kind of sheet of carbon-gray onion paper which has been tied up. It contains little yellow (as it will turn out) plastic balls, about 1 millimeter in size each. Does anyone remember these ink cartridges which, while sealed, had these little milkily transparent plastic balls to cap them off? You pushed them into the fountain pen and could later cut open the cartridge and remove them. Made for nice bullets in school! :D I really don't remember why I was presenting this object. Was I not an astrophysicist? Did I design it?

My friend, then, had something far more interesting to present. Clarke's third law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." And these things were rather magical... He had to get them out of a safe in the university building, and he is one of the few people who know the code. The devices are flat rectangles. About the dimensions of a typical playing card, but maybe 8 mm thick (very close to a Magic booster pack). The top and bottom edges consist of black plastic "sticks" of 8 mm x 8 mm x whatever the width is, 6 cm or so. The large central part is set back on all sides by about a mm (so only 6 mm thick). It's a transparent material forming a container, and inside is some fluid. The one I clearly remember looked like motor oil. So far, it sounds very easy to reproduce these objects. But! They were split along the middle line. When you put your fingers on the top and bottom, you could push down the black ends (each side independently to each other) and the central, transparent part slid into the black ends and... just disappeared! Theoretically, you could push the black ends all the way together, and there would be no sign anymore of most of the object. As I said: Magic!

But beyond warping physics as we know it, these objects were devices with a function. They controlled the settings of the chemical plan my friend worked on. So they also must contain some kind of electronics, and a sending device, and likely an encryption module... And somehow, the degree in which the ends are pushed together influence the stability of whatever chemical reactions are brewing in the plant. It seems the plant runs just fine with all three of the devices at full extension, so one may ask why anyone would construct something to destabilize the runnings of the plant? This is the first incidence of dream dislogic, but let's face it, such stupidities show up in movies all the time...

My friend now is an absolute expert on handling these devices, knowing how much one can depress them, for how long, at which speeds etc. to.. Yeah, to do what. Definitely to not blow everything up, but beats me what the positive effect would be. He shows the things off, moves them around a bit, and then goes to a computer terminal and accesses a webcam placed somewhere in the town's hills which looks down (seemingly a narrow-angle zoom) at the chemical plant. What I see actually looks like the telescope dome of a moderate-sized amateur telescope, but this is one of the smokestacks of the plant. (Again: Hollywood movie logic...). Everything seems a-ok, the demonstration has worked fine.

While my friend continues to tell us about what is made in the plant (stuff that should not start to burn and be released into the atmosphere, of course), he has left the devices lying around, and some people look at them. And then they come to me and some other guy, dream stranger. We look at each other... and depresses the ends of two of the devices!!! WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THAT???? Sorry, we are slaves of the script, blame the writers. We try to emulate the way my friend did it. We return the black end caps to their maximum extent. Hm, no huge explosion or anything. We pass them on. No one saw what we did, right? O:-)

A while later my friend wraps up his presentation, and it's time to leave. It seems my visit if over, I need to get to the train station, and my friend's going to take me down. We go up the stairs to the first upper floor, the parking lot is to the back of the building, cut into the hill and on a higher level than the front entrance. My friend is walking in front of me, and only I myself look back down from the balcony hallway to the impromptu seminar room we just left. And I see several policemen (pretty beefy guys too) coming in and checking out the people sitting there!! What the... No, that's not... We go around the corner further into the building. No shouts. We were not noticed. Not that it would have mattered, right, haha?

It seems we skip a scene, now we are in the car, driving through the hills. Nice houses, trees, other cars on the road, pedestrians, here and there little shops or a bank on the corner. My dreamworld is rendered extremely realistically. First, my friend tells me that there'll come a point where we get some kind of hole between the buildings and will be able to look down into the valley directly toward the chemical plant. This look-through seems pretty small, he actually makes the o gesture with thumb and forefinger. In a single consistency failure, this viewpoint then does not show up after all.

My friend tells me that it happens every once in a while that someone asks him why someone would build a bunch of telescopes in the middle of the town, with all the light pollution. "And is it not also dangerous with all the children?" (Because, like, what, did they put a fucking kindergarden right next to the chemical plant???) My friend tells me he then answers: "Well, there's no children around at 4 am, right?" I laugh out loud. Because it's not telescopes, it's smokestacks - like the one we saw earlier on the webcam. (Dream consistency level: High!)

We are just going up a hillside when suddenly a huge, massive, blaring, bone-jarring alarm starts whooping!!! I violently compress my stress ball which I had been kneading the whole time (Dream consistency level: Very high!), it ruptures and barfs little yellow balls all across the floor of my friend's car. The pedestrians around us start running, looking shit-scared!!! What the fuck is going on????

We top the hill and suddenly the perspective of the dream - which has been seen through my eyes the whole time - seems to violently jerk around 180°, as if looking back at my face for an instant, and then everything turns outside in again and... the world is filled in a white blaze. A few of the dark house front around us remain as melting grey silhouettes, then they too dissolve into white. I am utterly blinded. But it is not some nuclear detonation, it is a psychological blindness. a complete and utter refusal to acknowledge what a glimpse has told me. But then reality comes back and I must face why the policement came into the university hall - looking for me... (Dream consistency level: Immense!)

From this hill, we can see down into the entire valley. In its center, surrounded by a "muscle" of train tracks, is the chemical plant. Not that you can see anything, as the whole plant is enveloped in billowing white smoke and steam, which is as impenetratable as thick clouds. There seems to be a certain wind going, the smoke column (no flames are actually visible, maybe something is... boiling off?) is being pushed down the valley, held quite flat. The plant is surrounded by fire trucks with flashing lights. If we were closer, we'd probably see people in full hazmat gear.

I totally lose it and start trashing and screaming my head off in a high-pitched, girly voice: "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! I WANT TO TURN BACK TIME! I WANT TO UNDO WHAT I'VE DONE!!!" But there is no turning back time, no undoing. I've blown up the whole damn thing, and likely people are dying in droves down there!!! My friend gets over his shock quite quickly, and is grim: "You will have to flee." I see my whole life dissolving, going from the great inventor of the squeezy ball to a fugitive on the lam. Total panic fills me to the brim, driving me to hysteria and madness.

I somehow actually CLAW my way out of the dream, it really feels like swimming upward from some great depth, an invocation of denial so strong it is indeed channeled into a world where I am not a mass murderer out of sheer, utter stupidity...

I lie there for a while, actually neither sweating nor with a racing heart, more in awe at how consistent and detailed the whole thing was.

And THEN my alarm goes off. The fuck?? Could you not have done so earlier? :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

That sounds like a wonderful dream :) And you don't understand how that thing works because you're not a famous chemist :p

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

That sounds terrifying. Vivid dreams really get to you because of how real they feel.. and the emotion that goes with it... Yeah, I would have wished for the alarm to go off earlier, too. :ymhug: At least it's over. I hope you don't have a recurrence tonight.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I had a series of weird dreams that had to do with crime families. In one, it had a war... I'm not entirely sure if it was a civil war or a war against different families. Whatever the case, I ended up fighting with people that are part of my real family- cousins and the like. It was very upsetting cause we're talking full out blows. As is usual in my dreams, any time I tried to run, my legs were basically made of molasses. I've got the funny picture in my head that maybe I actually try to run in my sleep and the resistance of the sheets and all transfers to the dream.

I woke up at one point and went back to sleep.. and the dream I had was similar in that it was about a crime family but the "protagonist," I guess you can call him, was a teenage boy. The family was living in a building that had been abandoned in mid-construction by the sea or at least a very large river. Somewhere definitely in the North East, I think. May have been in New York. I have no idea. I know the building was more of a sky scraper type of building... or maybe somewhere in the middle of a regular building and a sky scraper. Anyway, he's been in this family his entire life. His mother was part of it and she had died, so they were taking care of him in a somewhat abusive manner. He was smart, he was a reader and a dreamer. It got rather cliche and.. what's the word... I can't think of it. Anyway, there's several points where he sees another member of the family about to jump for a ledge and runs over there (with no problems that plagued my other dream) and jumps to save him. And somehow hits the ground with no injuries. There's yelling, "Why do you keep doing that?!" It's how his dad died. He tries to keep it from happening to other people. I have no idea where the powers he apparently has come from. He manages to meet a cute, well-off girl doing this a a few times... because my brain has a habit or repeating certain scenes in slightly different ways. He never really gets a chance to be with her but he wants to. There's a few crime stuff with some friends in the family.

That's about it. There's a potential story in there but I don't know if I can tell it. It's so... still can't think of the word.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Did you enjoy the dreams?

"Overall, couldn't stay awake. So, I was laying down and parents came because where they should have been staying was too loud due to neighbors and windows and stuff. And I kept trying to do things but there were time skips forward and back and I kept waking up on the couch, sort of and had to struggle to open my eyes repeatedly to get going. And there was a mess and it was frustrating."

Overall it was trying to frustrate me and make me think I'm really more out of it than I am

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

The first one, not at all since, at one point I was trying to choke a cousin of mine that I like. It was very disturbing. I rarely ever have dreams that violent and I'm pretty sure it happened because I'm still trying to process my grandmother hitting one of her children, no matter what age they are. The second one was nice for the most part.

Sorry to hear yours were clinging to you, such as they were. *hugs*

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I had an interesting one Tuesday night, wasn't a nightmare really, but it was a bit Oh Shit! at times.

I was in Shadowrun, and I was a decker running the Matrix off-site from where the rest of my team was. Things went pear-shaped there, and I lost contact with the rest of my team. So I rounded up some help (one guy) and we went to see what was going down.

We get into the building, first room - find two security-ninjas (security guys, but dressed like ninjas). I shot one, while my buddy kept moving, but I didn't do anything but piss the guy off. He turns around, and it's Luther (President Obama's Anger Translator). :-o :-s

So I run after my buddy, and we pass more security-ninjas. I keep trying to close doors behind us, but it isn't helping.

Finally, I get a door shut and locked, but they unlock it and open it a bit. Luther-guard has what looks like a corporate scientist type with him, who tells me to open the door and they'll go easy on me. The look on Luther-guard's face tells me that easy on me means a bullet to the head, as opposed to roughing me up before killing me.

So, I reached out the door, snapped the key off in the lock, then shut and locked it again. Having bought some breathing room, I looked around.

The rest of the team was in the room, the leader of which was a dwarf, but what profession, I don't know. They had found our target, who was with them in the room, along with several others.

The leader told us to look around (for exits, I assumed). I started into another office, but others came out saying no exit was there. I was about to turn around, when the leader told me to check for anything useful.

When I get into the office, the main feature is a book rack full of mint (as in brand-new looking) 1st edition AD&D rulebooks (the new cover art versions). /:)
My buddy declared this a jackpot, and went over to swipe some. I was checking a desk, finding useless crap.

A girl came in and offered me a fortune-tarot card. It was a tarot card, and could be read either of two ways, but had the messages printed on it, like fortune cookie fortunes.

Mine, as I read it at first, said something like "You'll find the person you seek." I then realized I had turned it around, and should be reading it the other way.
Which said something to the effect of "things will go to hell quickly."

At that moment, it struck me as amusing that either could be applicable to the situation.

That's when I woke up.

So yeah, my brain goes weird places sometimes.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Every single one of my dreams has had someone throwing up. Every. Single. One. I really really wish it would stop. On a plus(?) side, a super-powered Snape in a dark, electric cloud got to float over some jungle landscape.