Dreams!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Dreams!

Post by Tenjen »

awww DNE, i know those feels *hoogs*

i hardly get to visit india for Musty and Smokey but i make sure a lot of my time is pent with them. I just feel bad about not being there more for them as they get older and older.

Many years to you and saskia together
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Again, thank you everyone. :ymhug: Last night my dream was far more pleasant, and I think my mind realized it hit me a bit below the belt so it rebounded with an especially pleasant dream about Saskia. So, I'm doing better this morning.

And Retarius - :( :ymhug: I'm so sorry for bringing up that unpleasant memory. That's a horrible shame, and I'm so sorry you had to experience that.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

The series of dreams I had while napping today were so weird, I'm wondering if acid was dropped in my McNuggets. Here's just one portion of it.

I'm riding an ostrich. Everything's cool about it and I'm thinking "People are so wrong. These birds aren't mean. Wonder what makes them.. OH GOD!!" The ostrich picks up speed and goes right after Tycho and another dog. I abandon ride and it veers off toward the end of the parking lot we're in at the mall "complex" (if you can call it that). I position my arms like I'm holding a rifle and make gunshot noises while pretending to pull the trigger. Big surprise when nothing happens :|

Somehow, it ends up turning almost completely human except for its head, which is still an ostrich. It comes at me at a run and then decides it wants to use its newly acquired fists. I hold down one and kick it between the legs hoping it was a boy. I was right. Down it went.

I think I woke up for good after that and was just like.. What... the... fuck?
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I only managed three hours of sleep last night... but for the time I had, I had a bizarrely detailed dream. And I know my brain seems fixated on preparing me for the loss of Saskia (because I know she's an older cat now, and I've been lucky to have had the last 10 years with her, and she's really the warmest aspect of my life right now), but this dream seemed to address it in a very different way.

In the dream, I'm in my reclining chair on my little netbook (precisely how I am just as I'm typing this) and I'm writing a little novella. As I'm writing the story, I'm also experiencing it... because I'm writing about myself in an odd sort of Mary Sue situation. The story takes place twenty years from now, after a bizarre crisis happened to the world. Reality itself "crashed", and everybody and everything turned into alternate versions of themselves from different realities. Too much changed, humanity couldn't hack it, and in the ensuing chaos within a year half the population died off. After twenty years, there were far fewer still.

I was changed into an alternate version of myself where I was fairly psychic, as well as longer lived. Saskia had become a dragon, looking very much like Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon" - except that her white and black fur pattern was now a pale ivory and dark olive green color. We were a group of scavengers, relying on each other in the crazy world we'd found ourselves in. There were so many crazy details my dream kicked in... how as a dragon she was in many ways somewhere between reptile, amphibian, and mammal. She was warm blooded, and her scales were slightly hollow to provide her warmth in colder climates like the hair of a polar bear. She would eat perhaps twice a week if allowed to sleep as much as she wanted, or every other day if we needed to stay active. Because I was psychic, I talked out loud to Saskia and read her thoughts. She had become insanely protective and possessive of me in a loving way.

The dream went on for some time, having odd encounters with other creatures like a flock of bright red serpentine birds that attacked us in the air. Or a group of other changed people who had shifted to the "might makes right" philosophy. In the story, perhaps a month of events transpired. Some of them mundane, some of them showing how in this world even the fantastic became mundane.

One of the values I have to the groups of people I come across is because of my memory of how things were before. I have Saskia to look out for me if things go badly so few people try to cross a guy riding a dragon, but when I meet another group of people we trade and converse and show our good faith. One of the reasons I'm well accepted for a stranger is that I remind people of things from before reality crashed. I sing old songs that people haven't heard in forever. I give abridged versions of "The Hobbit" or "Peter Pan". For people who remember how things used to be, they clutch onto these half forgotten memories. For the people who grew up in this world, every song or story is new.

I encounter a small group that like most worries I'm there to try to take them over by force with my pet dragon... but I fit in quite quickly right away. I mostly move around quite a bit because of Saskia's constant need for large amounts of food - but this area isn't too hunted out, and we stay for a few months. Amongst the dozen people in this group, there's a young lady by the name of Meagan. We tentatively become a couple, and I have to explain that I'm not alone - Saskia and I are a matched set. Take me, and she comes along no matter what. And I have to explain to Saskia that she doesn't have to be jealous.

For the first time in years, I have a place I consider home. So, of course, this being a story that I'm writing, I need to include conflict. And what happens is a band of Lemurians attack the encampment... in this story, Lemurians are people who got changed, but in their reality they became vicious lizard people. And lost much of their humanity in the process. I'm doing my best to rally everyone to run, to save themselves as the attack is going on. I had a small psychic flash of anticipation of their coming, but other than that it's just a crazy rush to survive. These Lemurians are riding their own flying mounts that seem like pteradons, but they're nothing compared to Saskia.

The biggest problem is that the Lemurians are almost equal in number to the people of this peaceful community - but the one side is violent, and the people of this group I've been in aren't. I realize that I need to lead the Lemurians away with Saskia... when I happen to see a spear thrown at me out of the corner of my eye. I actually manage to catch it with one hand as it strikes me in the side - but too late, as I'm already hit. And with the poor technology available to most, I know this is a fatal wound. So I hide how badly I'm hurt to Meagan, and at first try to convince Saskia to stay with the community and protect them.

She won't. She refuses to leave me. She knows that I'm going to die, and in her thoughts I hear every echo of worry about being left alone that I had thought when I worry about the day Saskia dies on me. She accepts that there is nothing she can do to save me, but can't imagine a life without me. So we decide to take the offensive on the Lemurians before drawing them away, and I barely manage to climb onto her back to ride.

The fight is amazing. I always worried in this story about hurting Saskia, so I never allowed her to take risks in fights even though she's an actual dragon. Now that she doesn't care about her own safety... she tears through four of the pteradons and three of the Lemurians before they know to react. She's hurt too, but doesn't care as we take to the sky and they chase us. We try once to engage the remaining attackers in the sky once, but while their flying dinosaur mounts aren't as fast they're more agile. Both Saskia and myself only get further hurt for trying this.

Finally, we just fly as fast and as high as we can go. Drawing them so far away from the group I'd been living in for months that they'll be safe. I'm starting to feel faint, knowing that I'm dying from blood loss. I try to tell Saskia that I'll be gone soon, but she starts to become wild, doesn't want me to go. I ask her if she wants to come with me, no matter where I go, and she says yes. I can tell that without me she'll be in agony, and she's already hurt. She simply wants nothing more than to be with me.

So I tell Saskia that no one knows where we go when we die, but there's a way to ensure we'll go there together. She just has to trust me. She tells me that of course she trusts me. This is where she repeats a mantra that is often thought by her in the story. "Daddy belongs to me, and I belong to Daddy." Because she's so possessive, she wants to think I belong to her, but I have established in the story that soon after she started to change into dragon all those years ago that was how I explained our relationship to one another to her. So I tell her that she needs to close her eyes and not open them, and that I'm doing the same. Then she needs to start a dive towards the ground, and tuck her wings against her. She complies, and I keep her natural instincts distracted by constantly talking to her.

Reminding her of memories from before she became a dragon. How she used to be tiny compared to me, small enough to curl up on my lap. Reminding her of the brush she loved. I know it will only take moments for us to hit the ground, so I'm trying to keep her distracted... but when I falter, it's her that picks up the distraction. She starts in on her little affectionate mantra again, but slightly changed so I can join in.

"I belong to Daddy..."
"... and I belong to Saskia."
"I belong to Daddy..."

And I'm living through this story, even as I'm experiencing the action of typing it up on my computer within the dream. The last several lines of the story are that repeated verse, over and over again in the last second of free fall. After this mantra is repeated perhaps ten times, I end the story with the mantra being simply interrupted.

"I belong to Daddy..."
"I belong to-"

The obvious implication that there's when the two of us struck the ground. The end of our lives. And I pull my hands away from the keyboard, take a steadying breath as I fold my hands together, and look at Saskia asleep on my recliner's footrest between my feet.

And that's where the dream ends. How the heck did I pack this much of a dream into three hours of sleep? And why the heck can't I dream of something that isn't soul wrenching traumatic?
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

:( *HUGS*
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Whoa.

I must confess, from an outside perspective, that reads like a really good story.

Perhaps you really should turn it into one. I can see it reaching 50 pages or so if you fill in a lot of details.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU~ :((
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Commentary

Post by Commentary »

I constantly dream of hell spawn that claw and devour me nightly as I try to sleep and and can feel the bed shift and move.
Every night I try fighting them off but they keep coming back and they keep taking more, and more and more from me.

Also I constantly dream of Jeniffer Love Hewitt!
.........all that remains are Drugs and Alcohol!

Nev

Post by Nev »

I dreamt my skin lifted off entirely from a blistering sunburn.

Nope nope nope. SPF50+ all day everyday.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

You must have the blindingly white skin like me :p
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Nev

Post by Nev »

Not even, I'm a swarthy middle easterner, terrified of sun damage.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Had a dream where an old story came back to me. It's one where a group of kids, for some reason do some FTL traveling. They get back and find that they're in a different universe that is more fluid. They can change things just be choosing to remember things as being that way. One decides that they should be bunnies, so that's how it ends. My dream added further details for the heck of it, apparently. One being that they play with it and make one boy in the group a girl. Also played with making the Force a real thing, with themselves as Force sensitives, of course. I don't know where this story came from, or why it came back to me.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Sounds a lot like the series "Nine princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny. For the main character of the book, for him to get back to Amber, he has to distort reality just a little bit for a while. Like change the colour of the sky from deep blue to purple, the grass along the highway is now flat and broad, birds sing a different song, all until he is in Amber where THAT is the normality.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I generally don't remember much about my dreams other than they tend toward the odd, but apparently last night's was Dr. Suessianly weird. All I can remember are the unicycle riding, mega-spiraling horn playing musicians called Thing-thanglers. I wonder if they were trained by this guy:

Image :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Interesting dream this morning. I brought a woman back to my parents' house. My parents weren't there and the woman had four dogs. After some not being sure where the dogs would stay the night in the house, we went to bed. In the morning I decided to walk the dogs, since that's what she had been worried about. I took the larger two dogs and kind of got distracted and lost them and forgot about it and then both of us took the other two out to find them.

Weird. Also weird is that it went from 5:55 to 7:24 in like a minute, real life time did, and the phone alarm was not heard. Bad phone.