Dreams!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Pneumonica

Re: Dreams!

Post by Pneumonica »

Once, a while back, I had a dream featuring many of the characters from Big Trouble in Little China. And Cthulhu. And one of the more unnerving philosophical moments my dreams have given me (and they've given me a lot). Or at least a graven image thereof. It's a very rare dream in that I had it in the third person - I was not any character in it at any time.

Much of the dream was fairly straightforward, if not from the movie. You've got Jack and Wang ratting through sandstone tunnels (yeah, I know... it was a dream, though, so lighten up), pursuing the critter who was stalking the chick. Eventually it grabs the chick and retreats deeper into the complex, and one of the Storms steps up to run interference (I think tactically, even when I'm dreaming, it seems). He eventually withdraws into a worked part of the tunnels with brick walls when a brick wall slides in front of him, cutting off Jack and Wang from further entrance.

Wang and Jack scratch at the (lack of) seam in the sliding wall hoping to find purchase on it (I was looking out from the wall in this part of the dream - the effect was actually kind of neat). They stop and stare for a beat, then Wang starts speaking (he's the first one to speak in the entire dream). I don't remember the first part, but it's a recital of the woes of getting to this point. It ends with, "...and then this blasted WALL." And he hits the wall.

This is where the dream becomes rather interesting.

The voice of Lo Pan chimes in from the face of a limestone wall facade featuring the face of Cthulhu (no, I don't know why). As the conversation occurs, a haze starts forming in front of the face, which by the end of the dream materializes into a translucent projection of the face of Lo Pan. At this point, whenever a character speaks, the "camera" cuts to them, either the face of Cthulhu or Wang (with Jack standing beside him).

Lo Pan: "So, you've reached an impasse. You can either stand here and beat your head against a brick wall, or you can go back, regroup, and try again later. Let me ask you something, is there evil in the world?"
Wang: "YES!" (Very vehemently - he's in a high emotional state for the entire dream.)
Lo Pan: "Right answer, wrong certainty. Let me tell you something. Before you can know success in this life, you must first realize the implications of failure."

And that was when I woke up.
Further affiant sayeth not.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Pneu... wow. :-o And as a fan of the Big Trouble in Little China movie, I could perfectly see what you were describing shot-by-shot. I have to agree, the ending with Lo Pan's speach... impressive when your subconscious mind does that to you, doesn't it?

Now, I have to really think to share a dream that won't creep someone out. It might take a while, because my dreams are often made of equal parts slasher flicks, Japanese horror movies, and Acid trips. They're not fun to experience, so people are often disturbed when I share them.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

LadySheDevil wrote:...and then a couple nights ago, Don and I hoarding what suspiciously appeared to be forumite plushies. (Yes, DA, a dream about you! Happy now? :p) It was very Mario Bros.-ish. I'm pretty sure those were genuine Thwomps we were trying not to get crushed by... O_o
YAY!!!!! *is happy*

I think between the two of us, that MS plushie had better be of sturdy design! :D

Your shoe dream is... utter win. "We have souls, um soles, too!" :))

Pneu, I wish my dreams were so coherent. While mine are far from the night terrors of DnE, they are a bit, how did Asaryu put it, yellow-submarinerish...

I think my dreams suffer from a lot of thread-jacks.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

I actually had a "naughty" dream about forumites last night, or about the forum to be more exact :((

Wasn't very exciting, was just dreaming about browsing the forum, and forumites where posting naughty pics. This would be a new low for me, if it wasn't the first time I had a dream about surfing the web/playing games X(
Last edited by Nibler on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Things I desire: For Nibler's dream to come true!! ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

You've got all the saucy pics you're going to get from me.

I shouldn't have given my bribe for he cute-contest before the voting ended...No more incentive after that..

I used to have a recurring dream when i was young about a horse with 10 eyes. I was always the person who had to find it and stop it from being exploited. And in each of the dreams i was in a different area/time-period. I was also usually a boy.

I also used to have dreams of snakes filling up my room...like that awful scene from The Craft.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

*rubs back of neck and settles down with some food and coffee*

alright... lets do this... i should never go to sleep on an empty stomach

DISCLAIMER: the following dream may scar your soul forever, if you have a weak heart, stop reading now

Time: presumably present, to the last minute
Place: a fusion of my hometown and the city i am now, a variation of the place where i spend my summers, the path between these two points

the dream starts with me being here and polishing my brand new bike (a fusion of classic harley-like and modern street with a cool yin-yang logo) ...its summer time, so i have to leave this place in order to go to the other place and meet up with people. my family are there with me and about to leave for my father's village, so i figure we will tag along for most of the way

for some reason, my father decides to take a less known path, so our common part of the road becomes considerably less and i am left alone in a place that would best be described as "hillbilly county" ...you know, a place where everyone knows everyone else and they are actually a man eating cult of cthulu worshippers or something. with that in mind i stop and ask around for directions on how best to get where i want

despite the underlying creepiness of the place, someone does help me (and guess what, she is wearing a mccthulu hat sideways) so i start on the path to summerland... for some reason the bike either moves too slow or too fast, so i end up riding into a mall, something nobody around finds particularly strange. there are many people there, including a huge bear with a hammer chasing a black and white guy with spiked hair and two guns

without further delay i try to find my way around the mall, eventually finding myself (bike and all) in the manager's office, he doesn't like getting fumed so he points me to the nearest door, i take it and am on the road again.. a few kilometres before reaching my destination i see a few people gathered and lots of flashes... and there i see Alisonchan x2... she is at once the star of the show posing for pics and the quiet sketch artist at the edge of the gathering

after a few hours of highway maddness (think the scene from the matrix, just without all the fighting) i finally get to my destination, although my house is actually huge and hotel-like... i park the bike and dismount, then start for the door, on the front balcony i see Don and Cirion (the best friend i ruined, he looks a lot like Don) staring at each other over a chessboard, i move further inside and i see Teacher and LSD in the kitchen, discussing Bailey's recipes

finally, i reach the bedrooms and the balcony over the beach... Asaryu, midgetshrimp, Morwen and Mouse (my other girl) are there, with the girls braiding shrimp's hair, wearing nothing but collars, i grin and move to join the fun and...

sorry kids, the rest is not 16-safe :ymdevil:
Last edited by Ithilion on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Awesome dream, Ith!!!

So in your dreamworld, I am adept at chess. Cool. Better than IRL.
Ithilion wrote:sorry kids, the rest is not 16-safe :ymdevil:
I think it was usually your line, about the PMs. :P
ImageImage

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I can has PM's please?

I like to know what my dream-self gets up to when I'm too tired to use her.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Morwen

Post by Morwen »

*looks around shifty-eyed*

i know, everything
Shadow Apprentice and proud member of the Dream Team
ignorance is bliss? ...no, its just annoying

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I once, a looong time ago, had a dream. Yes.

I hardly remeber any of it, basically just one image. Two creatures fighting. The better word may be shapes. Imagine creatures made in anthropomorphic shape, but only out of cylinders. Start with a stick figure, than make the sticks quite a bit thicker. No feet or hands, just the flat caps of cylinders. No real head either, just the body cylinder extending beyond the shoulders. The shapes are extremely flexible, as if they were made of thin wires.

One shape was a glowing white, one a glowing neon green. Really intense.

And they were fighting.

@Morwen: So, we need to speeddump your brain. :P
Last edited by Don Alexander on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

Ooh, Baileys recipes... Yeah, that sounds about right. I think Teach and I would have a grand ole time making food to make everyone drunk... xD

And the last bit... I could only imagine... =p~
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Now, I have to really think to share a dream that won't creep someone out. It might take a while, because my dreams are often made of equal parts slasher flicks, Japanese horror movies, and Acid trips. They're not fun to experience, so people are often disturbed when I share them.
My dreams come in two flavors. They're either the philognostic dreams like the Big Trouble in Little China dream, or they are hyperreal nightmares, often nightmares of sensation but sometimes they're even worse, and in almost every case one result of them is to remind me of why we don't experience in anything greater than the virtually-numb intensities in which we do. So, I can empathize. (A few nights ago I woke up from a nightmare of sensation so vivid that I felt a residual harmful sensation in my sense of taste and had to spit so badly and so much that I nearly vomited into a sink.)
Further affiant sayeth not.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

A few months ago, I had a pretty awful dream that more or less prevented me from getting any sleep for a night. First off, my dreams often possess a strong element of anxiety - everything is rushed because time is running out, or a suspenseful anticipation for something to happen. I should warn pretty much everyone not to read any further unless you're prepared for a slightly disturbing insight into a night terror. It's not only violent and bloody, but my mind creates everything in such detail that the stories I tell myself are rather vivid.

Now, I sleep with my bedroom door open so that Saskia can come and go in and out of my room through the night. If I don't, she'll yowl and tear up the carpet with her claws. Well, I sleep with my feet facing this door. I kept dreaming that there was a psychotic knife wielding maniac lurking just outside my door... sometimes he'd peek in just enough so that his shadow went over me, sometimes just around the corner so he couldn't be seen. In my dream I was exactly where I was in real life - laying in bed, trying to fall alseep. But aparently that's exactly what he was waiting for me to do, fall asleep. So confusing reality with dream, I'd frequently wake up just to look over my shoulder back at the door trying to see if there was anyone there. To confuse the matter even more, I sometimes wouldn't wake up in reality... but I would in my dream. Glare at the figure, as though trying to warn them off and out of my dream because I was so in need of sleep. Even in my dream, I was exhausted. This went on for much of the night, never allowing myself to really fall into deep sleep.

When I finally got to sleep in reality, the figure lurking finally pounced on me in my dream. I often get into physical struggles in my dreams, it's not unusual for me to get into fights where I'm unarmed against someone who is. His initial leap drives the knife into the calf of my left leg, I can feel the burning pressure as the blade cuts through muscle tissue and the warmth as blood quickly flows from the wound. We struggle onto the floor of my bedroom, he's homely in a nondescript way with long dark hair that looks like it's been unwashed for weeks. He wears a dark olive trenchcoat and dirty torn jeans, a pair of beat up Converse on his feet. As we fight, the knife slices against the right side of my chest. I feel it scrape against my collar bone, sending an unpleasant shudder through me that's almost worse than the cut itself.

Finally, I manage to twist the knife out of his hand. He's still pummelling me with his hands, clawing and scratching at me, even trying to blind me with his thumbs. There doesn't seem to be any purpose behind the attack, just this crazed individual intent on causing me pain. I see I don't have a choice, I place my left hand against his forehead to pin his head down and tilt his chin up slightly. He's sweaty, I feel his clammy skin against mine and I recoil at his touch. I manage to reach across his throat with my right hand with the knife in it, and... (I don't want to retell this part due to how graphically my mind recreates things. Let's simply say that growing up my father was a butcher and I watched him work often - I have a very detailed image of what the next event is.)

Afterwards, I sit up with my hand slick from the blood and I don't like the feeling of it against my skin. I have a few droplets that have sprayed up against my cheek, but both of my hands feel dirty and I rub my cheek against my shoulder. I look at the figure below me and I'm confused and angry. The rest of the dream drifts on at this point, mostly taking place in the internal dialogue I'm having in my head. I'm upset that this person felt there was no other solution to this encounter, that one of us had to die. Angry at him for making me kill him. Painfully I get to my feet, hopping on my good foot to call the police.

Not all of my dreams do I remember as well as this one, but the mood of this dream isn't an uncommon one for me. Hopefully, I don't give anyone bad dreams from reading this retelling.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

cheesebunny

Post by cheesebunny »

I usually have ones when I kill people, somtimes not even anyone I recognise in real life, so I apologize dirty n evil, it could have been me.
last night I drempt I was on a victorian cruise with my dad and step-mum, somone had given me £120 but I had to stop belinda (step-mum) from stealing it in the night, so I surgically embedded it in my arm, along with a pair of scissors for some reason, then I wake up in the morning and have to climb over the contents of our attic to get to the light switch, then I climb up the stairs into a stone flagged corridor, then I woke up.
the funniset thing was that the cat had scratched across my arm in the night in the exact place I put the cash in
my ((pinched)) hobby, posting:
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
in public places.