MMORPGs

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Faros

Re: MMORPGs

Post by Faros »

I'm currently in the market for a new MMO. The first one I ever played was GunZ the Duel (Which was actually a TPS, not an RPG), which was a fun concept, but it got boring really, really fast. After that I played Shaiya, which was fun for a while, but it didn't have any real substance to it. I've been playing Guild Wars, but I've already beaten all of the campaigns, as well as the expansion pack, so there's not really all that much to do anymore besides pointless dungeon crawling and keg farming.

I've been thinking of playing Perfect World International, since I've heard some really great things about it, but I'm weary of playing another Korean MMO after Shaiya.

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

Played World of Warcraft till i couldn't afford it

Now Play Perfect world :)
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Perfect World of Perfect World International? I played PW for a few months, stopped playing, and now my friend got me to download PWI.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

tis great. the graphics give me insane laughs.
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Way too much time in WoW for me. (And money, I was one of the ones who forked out cash for the two new pets for me and m'lady. L-) Then again, at least the pandarian one resulted in money going to a good cause. :) )

I looked at Champions and Conan for a bit, but definately not till after I do my upgrade (as it is, I can barely play WoW). Warhammer looks a bit interesting, but I am not sure I like the emphasis on PvP. I'm more of a PvE'r who likes the option of PvP when I want to do it.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

I beat WoW.

top 20 Arena Team 3 seasons running.
mentioned in forum posts for being avoided in battlegrounds.
I was always so shitfaced I could barely see straight during pvp.

Thats right, I beat 95% of players in arenas and battlegrounds while being to intoxicated to maintain motor function.

Game finished, roll credits, I left feeling content.
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Engy

Post by Engy »

Ugh, if there is one thing that I utterly hate, it's arena's. Employees over at Blizzard Entertainment admitted that Arena's is the biggest mistake they made with the game, especially with the balancing and all. All I ever see in those top groups are DK's, pallies and the whole shit. Never seen even one bloody hunter in those lists.

I prefer Battlegrounds over Arena's. Why? Well, for starters, if you make a mistake in a bg, it leaves less consequences. Make a mistake in the arena's and you pretty much lost the whole battle already.

And yes, I absolutely suck at arena's and yes, the fact that the toplists can get a mount pisses me off, but those are not the reasons why I utterly hate arena.

I can understand why people enjoy arena's and I don't wish for it to be taken away either, but I merely would appreciate it if they stopped wasting so much resources in a portion of the game that they can never balance to even begin with.

Come to think of it, weren't they going to introduce rated battlegrounds for this reason?

As for other mmo's, I have tried my hand at GuildWars and a whole bunch of other free mmo's. But WoW is the only one to which I keep returning. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the other mmo's, I merely enjoyed WoW more xP
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I play Lord of the Rings Online, and Champions Online, and have Lifetime Subscriptions to both.

I've tried Age of Conan, but the lag the last time I played was too annoying, not to mention having had all of my character's feats randomly reset and having to try to remember what I had got before.

Used to play City of Heroes/City of Villains, but couldn't afford to keep paying to play it. :(
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

It was great back in the day. Before whatever that deathknight expansion was called. You'd see quite a few hunters in top arena teams. Mana drain teams were very viable. If anything, from what I've hear from the few people I know who still play, the expansion should be blaimed. Thats what you get for forcing people to specc further down a tree. Course, back then a talent tree wasn't one of three builds to specc to the bottom of cause they weren't so deep.

By creating talent trees so long that you use up a majority of points getting to a bottom tier ability they've crippled the entire point of talent. Which was to make character's different. Which was also one of the key factors of early pvp. I never met another top arena warrior with the same specc as me. Trading that knowledge was the funnest part. Now that you can almost certainly cookie cutter your way down to the bottom of a tree, I don't think you'll enjoy the same diversity in pvp.
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Goth: I play a Hunter(56) as my primary and a Rune Keeper (23) as my alt with LoTRO. I am on the Landroval server as Nirrum and BaronRad , respectively.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

I used to play on Landroval.

I couldn't stick with it after the expansion though. I thought Rune Keeper was a pretty bogus idea.
I liked how original the classes were, and Rune Keeper just seemed like returning to the norm.

Engy

Post by Engy »

Hehe, don't get me started about DK's in PvP. One time, Blizzard tried to adjust one of the DK's abilities, but if they would do this ability immediately followed by a stun, then the victim got disconnected from the server xD
WIth other words, they did not have much opposition whenever they used that attack combination xD
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

I remember matrix online. Never really got into it. But it was interesting for the bit i tried of it atleast. And their concept of new events was quite a unique way to go about things.

I wonder if its started massacring the matrix plot as i predicted it would. Lost track of it long long ago.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

no one can massacre the Matrix's plot better then the screen writer's themselves did.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i jsut read about matrix online. and believe me. The game guys did.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?