GD Announcements / Suggestions.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: GD Announcements / Suggestions.

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:No, that actually IS over $1000. :P Course is roughly 30 to 1.

Yes, it's shade under $1240US.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Guys, I have a question, and it's a very serious one.

If I set up a thread or resurrected a thread to help those of us who like to write practice our writing with feedback by giving prompts like once a week, would any one be willing to participate and see it through? I need to do a teaching practicum for my MFA program, and I had hoped that they would do more than give us three hours and a pat on the head before making us do this, but that's all they do. The practicum needs only to cover like fifteen prompts followed by an evaluation of what I've done. I also have to submit samples of the work done for me in that "class". If I can't do this online, I'm kind of stuck because I really cannot do this face to face with people, and find the idea of being forced to do this kind of work to be distasteful. Honestly, I have no intentions of becoming a teacher due to my lack of ability to deal with people.

But I need a minimum of three people to write for this though I would love to have anyone who wanted to comment.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

I'm part of a writing group that meets on Mondays to do (among other things) writing prompts. If the demand is not excessive, I can participate. Most of the writing I should be doing is on stuff I hope to market; the first book of a series I've started has a completed draft now that I've edited dozens of times but I'm stuck on Chapter 4 of the second one. (Forgive me, Spider Robinson, for I am committing trilogy. It didn't start out that way but “the tale grew in the telling”.)

I'd been thinking about saying something about this in the Achievements thread but in my mind the current story arc isn't done until the third book is finished. Also, I kinda hate tooting my own horn even though if you're of a mind to make a living as an author you really do need to self-promote.
I think outside the tesseract.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I hope not to make it onerous. I'm also hoping to become a published author and hopefully manage to make a living with it.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

So, anyone else interested? She knows I'll do it :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

redneck has been banned for transphobic and inflammatory posts.

The DAMNed
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

yay for The DAMNed!

cause seriously. This is the Ma3 forums.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I'm so glad I stopped going over to the comic section of the forum. Well, mostly. It just figures that Teddy and I would be sick at the same time :P
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

mikbuster wrote:So, anyone else interested? She knows I'll do it :)
English isn't my first language, so I'll probably gonna need a bit more explaining, and a lot of proofreading, but I'm willing to give it a go.
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Wow. . .talk about me being in a black place for WAY too long. Alright, if people are still willing to do this (and I’ll see if other people would like to join in too), I would love to hold a discussion roundtable regarding storytelling. I would actually prefer to do it here because I know all of you guys, and we all read a certain set of texts that will make references easy and possible- namely the Ma3-verse and the *C-verse.

What I want to do is two things- 1) discuss the elements of storytelling as I see them and I want to discuss them so that I can understand your perspectives on the same elements. At the end of the section explaining my thoughts, I’ll post a few writing prompts to go with each element of storytelling. I won’t be posting just one type of prompt either. I don’t want to limit you guys to the type of writing that would be there.

At my college, we have four forms of writing that we cover- Poetry, fiction (long and short), creative non-fiction (memoire being one form of this) and script writing (screenplay, stage play and graphic novel). You are free to write in whatever form of writing you wish.

Finally, I want to make it clear that what you write as part of this will have to be copied and submitted to my advisor so that she can mark my teaching practicum as completed. I also need a minimum of three people to participate in this through to the end. I’ll need Don or Midg to do a favor for me and write an observer’s report and verify that we did the practicum here and it was completed. After I’m done with the actual practicum, if you guys want to continue doing writing prompts and talking about all of this, I have absolutely no issue with that. I’d actually love it.

Among things that I would be doing would not just be setting this up, but hopefully giving some helpful advice as well. How much you participate is up to you guys other than I need something for all six prompts. What I’ll be doing is a lot of prep work and reading your guys stuff.

And if your native language isn’t English, I’d really love to understand how the change in language changes your writing.

I hope that this works out.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

TBeholder has been banned for a week due to accumulating several warnings and continuing with his aggressive stance toward other forumites. Oh, and calling me "mommy moderator" for sure did not help. :-Q

The DAMNed
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

...And it's things like this which is why, as much as I miss it sometimes, I'm pretty much happy with the fact that I dropped the comic portion of the forum. Despite the fact that the latest MC storyline has been RIVETING to me.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

After receiving a final warning following a week-long ban (see above), TBeholder has continued insulting and mocking other forumites. Permabanned.

Schmorgluck reacted to one of TBeholder's posts in a way that far exceeded what the forum rules allow. Banned for one week as a retort was generally justified (just not formulated like that) and he has never done anything wrong before.

The DAMNed
ImageImage

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

yiraheerai wrote:I'm pretty much happy with the fact that I dropped the comic portion of the forum.
Same here...(Though I have dropped in a couple times when I couldn't resist comment...)
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Just to announce I shall be offline until Sunday. Going to the Party-San Open Air. \M/

Hands above the covers and no Molotov cocktails!!

*looks especially at Anarchy Kitty*

*sets up anti-pony firewall around Tenjen*
ImageImage