Sports Lounge.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Sports Lounge.

Post by yiraheerai »

A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I was waiting for this. :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Glad I could be of service :)
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, I mean, I was waiting for Humon to make an SATW about it...

But I did see it here first. :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

It's become something of a yearly tradition for me now to post this near the end of the regular season of hockey ~

Looking forwards to the playoffs this year - while the Lightning's defense still has several injured players, we have a really talented team. It also looks as though we're going to face the Red Wings in the first round, which will be a great overall fan environment. But first, we have to try and beat the Boston Bruins tomorrow night... just to do our best to oust them from the playoffs. If we beat 'em, they're out, and a playoffs without the Bruins is a wonderful thing.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Yes, yes it is.

We might actually get to enjoy the first round of hockey without having to watch the goonery that the Bruins have become associated with the past few years.

Knowing how much you LOVE the Penguins.... I still get socked by the level of hate that gets thrown at Crosby. I wonder if those "fans" are going to do the same with Connor MacLean next year.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Crosby is maligned for being a mold of player that really isn't tolerated in the hockey culture anymore... he's a prima donna. He established rather early in his career that he was going to chat with the referees at nearly every stoppage of play when he's on the ice, and the fact that they didn't tell him to shut the hell up shows the bias that the NHL as an entity had invested in marketing him. It's the teacher's pet syndrome, and the fans of other teams picked up on that really quick.

I dislike him for that, as well as how earlier in his career he had a tendency to dive quite frequently. With the new rules in place against embellishment, I'm glad to see that such soccer-like dives are growing out of vogue. (Never mind that diving as a tactic was really developed by my own hometown star Bill Barber when he was with the Flyers... hey, I own up to the flaws even if they point back in a direction I don't like.)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

As team captain, though, he does have that right. I think that each one does this, it's just that Crosby was focused on more. If he had a Dave Semenko covering for him, like Gretzky did, he wouldn't have needed to talk to the refs about how he got played.

Can't wait for Wednesday.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

He has a right to discuss matters with the referees as the team captain, yes... but here in Tampa, we've had our own team captains and assistant captains actually charged unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the past simply because they wished to discuss a matter with the referee. They never touched the ref, they never acted in a fashion that warranted a penalty - it was just that the ref didn't want to hear the concern, refused to even turn towards the captain or assistant captain, and when our player kept talking they were assessed a 10 minute misconduct penalty. Admittedly, this was when Crosby was newly made a captain and before that... but it's felt like an undeserved burden just because we're the "new kids in town" as far as the league goes. So, it's been ingrained in our team not to try to engage the referee to the same degree. We're not entitled to the same fair and unbiased treatment.

And for the Lightning, it's Thursday night. :)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Well, the Lightning didn't fair so well in the first game - but boy, did we make up for it today! Blasted the Red Wings for a final score of 5-1, and managed a much better game overall. I'm wondering if the change of referees mattered, as well... in the first game, we had Chris Rooney & Frederick L'Écuyer. Two referees with a history of favoring against the Lightning. Heck, in Game 1 there were several times the ref seemed to deliberately skate in our player's path to disrupt his lane to get the puck.

For this game, we had Justin St. Pierre & Wes McCauley officiating. It wasn't perfect, but it didn't feel nearly so biased. That, and our team came out with more 'jump' to start the game. I believe we had a better sense of what to expect, and adapted to the play of the Red Wings more.

On a food related note, it was a good all around day as my pals bought the goods for food and I cooked. I tried out 'Juicy Lucys'... hamburgers with the cheese tucked on the inside of the burger. Using smoked gouda, they turned out excellently. As the burger cooked, the taste of the smoked cheese melted into the meat itself. Having added green onion and green bell peppers, they were really flavorful. The home team wins and you're eating well? Yup, that's a good day. :)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Let's Go Lightning!!!

The Tampa Bay Lighting are going to the Stanley Cup Finals for the second time in team history. Nobody gave us any chance through any of the series... and now we're going to play for the Cup. Like many people, I'm really hoping that tomorrow night Chicago will beat Anaheim. That way, if we're to go all the way, we'll have faced four out of the original six teams. Needless to say, I'm quite happy. :D

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Good job Lightning. :ymparty: Good luck in the finals.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, now...

The USA beat Germany in a friendly international football game 2:1. :-Q

I'm sure the NSA was involved. :P
ImageImage

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

They probably blackmailed all your players. They've been spying on y'all you know.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I'd make a joke about Americans not taking what everyone but us calls "football" seriously but I have a cousin who is a very avid fan. I would not want to get on his bad side. :-s