Sports Lounge.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Bear
BANNED

Sports Lounge.

Post by Bear »

Sport! The only subject we almost didn't cover. Everyone either likes or hates sport, has some part of playing a sport or deeply distrusts the athletic types who play it, or admires them for their physical achievements... So here we have it. The Sports Lounge!

Talk about Sport here! Why you love your sport, why you hate another. Do you think that Sports stars are overpaid idiots not qualified to do anything else, or think that you could invent a sport thats much more fun? If its sports related, chat about it here.

Now... As a true Englishman for the modern age... I hate Cricket with a passion and love football (soccer). I just don't get Cricket at all. Its overly complex, takes to long to play a proper game and you need a small fortuante in stupid equipment to play it properly. Its Baseball for a boring generation.. and Baseball isn't that interesting when you really get down to it either. whats so fun or interesting sitting miles from the action, watching a person hit a small ball with a stick, hardly being able to track the ball then someone catching it about 20 seconds later? Yawn...

Football though. Lots of skill, lots of tactics, you need to be fit to play it well and constantly aware of everyone around you so that you don't mess up. Its not just strike ball A with object/foot B and hope person C doesn't catch ball A to prevent score D. Okay, so its not everyones game and some people think it as boring as other sports, but if you really know how hard it is to play well, then you appreciate it because of that.

And yes, some people will hate me for this, but I'm a Manchester United fan. And no, I'm not a glory supporter. I was born in Manchester thankyou so they are my home team despite not living there. Manchester United, Probably the biggest club in the world with a trophy case that spans every major acheivement in modern football and with a solid history to match it.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Sports Lounge.

Post by Don Alexander »

New beary-mod thread... Must answer first... *robot*

Curling!!! :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Damn other people not posting first to destroy Don's spirt..... /:)

So what about curling? Love it, hate it, think its pointless, You play it?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'm going to my first ever American football session on Sunday. (Well 2nd, but 1st one I'll be able to take part in!)Can't wait! :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:So what about curling? Love it, hate it, think its pointless, You play it?
I think it was 2002 when I was home during the Winter Olympics. I was pretty much glued to the TV for a week. It actually got to me, watching all that. Back then, curling was in the news a lot. Not sure if it was the first time it was included, but it somehow stuck out. Lots of people said it was totally boring, etc.

But I actually got to like it! It doesn't require extreme physical prowess, stamina, etc. But thought, and a feel for the ice... It was a little bit like chess on ice. So I was always very happy to watch it.

Oh, and, by the way, the one and only thing one (except phoenix) might call a sport which I play reasonably well (reasonably well in the sense that if you take your pick from random Western humanity, I should be better than most in that sample) is pool billiard. Though the last time I played was 2005... :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

I agree with you there. Curling is a interesting game that requires alot of skill rather then raw power or luck. Just a shame that England lost interest in it again after our team failed to win gold again.

Some days... I think we need to introduce 'The Running Man' as a real sport....

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:Some days... I think we need to introduce 'The Running Man' as a real sport....
"The Running Politician just out of Office"!!! =))
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

The Running Man, It would be interesting to use to pick our politicians. If they survive the Gauntlet, we shoot them anyway :))

Seriously though... would give the people their lust for bloodsports and violence, and cut down the prison populations.

that and we can throw in the sports hooligans who like sporting violence to get rid of them too :ymdevil:

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:The Running Man, It would be interesting to use to pick our politicians. If they survive the Gauntlet, we shoot them anyway :))
Seriously though... would give the people their lust for bloodsports and violence, and cut down the prison populations.
that and we can throw in the sports hooligans who like sporting violence to get rid of them too :ymdevil:
Well, panem et circenses sure worked for the Romans... And looking at the state of modern reality TV :ymsick: we really can't be very far away from that...

I had mentioned in another thread that I do enjoy football (watching, not participating) a lot, but only on the national level. European and especially World Championships. Especially since Germany did really well these last two times! :)
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

#1 Hockey. I love hockey. It has power, finesse, fighting, and now, ICE GIRLS! What's not to love? I was born in Massachusetts, and now live in Maine, so my home team is the Boston Bruins. Die hard fan, if I had tv I'd watch every game. Right now I only get to watch them when I visit my dad, so I listen to them online. I've never played on an organized team, because I'm poor and that equipment is unbelievably expensive. So I play street hockey in the summer and pond hockey in the winter. I haven't laced the skates since the winter before my knee injury though, so it's going to be odd when I do this winter.

#2 Soccer. Played it since I was about 8, or younger. I had always played goalie until high school, because I didn't like to run. I know, I'm lazy. And I don't like wearing shorts, so I got some sport pants. Once I got into high school, I had to wear the shorts, so boo on that. And I didn't get to play goalie my first year. I played defense, mostly sweeper, sometimes full back, rarely stopper, throughout my high school career. And was highly praised for it (multiple awards and a championship under my belt). On varsity, I maybe got subbed 4 times a season. So I played most games the full 80 minutes through, the only player other than the goalie to do it. And I logged more minutes than the goalies, because we had a couple that we'd rotate depending on the game. When I made the varsity team, I got to play goalie in the junior varsity games. So I played 80 minutes varsity, and 80 minutes junior varsity, almost every game day, for about 3 years. And I loved every minute of it. I planned on trying out at the University, but my knee injury kept me out for one season, and I've lost my motivation since I'm not coming back here after this semester.

#3 Football. I played it in the 5th grade, and hated it. We were a team of the smallest little kids. And the coaches were pretty useless. In fifth grade I was probably 4 feet tall, at most. And they stuck me at tackle. I'm a wide receiver, dammit. I only got to play that position once or twice. I play with friends every so often, and am by far the best receiver. I can pick up yards after the catch too. I'm like a little Wes Welker. Speaking of, I like watching football too. Patriots fan, not a bandwagoner, though I didn't start watching until after Brady came along. It just got more interesting after that. I hate all the commercials though. Except at the Super Bowl, because they're funny.

#4 Lacrosse. Never played, but I've watched it a few times.

#5 Bowling. It's fun. I played in high school for a couple years. But it's just fun to grab some friends and go to the alley. Have some pizza or chicken wings, and play a few sets.

#6 Baseball. Played. Boring. Watched. Boring.

#7 Basketball. Played. Boring. Don't watch, because it's even more boring than baseball.

And DA, I would say billiards is a sport. I didn't list it, because it's not really a major one, that everyone would think of. But it is a sport, and very fun to play. I have a billiard table, we are actually building a room around it (and have been for about 4 years now. More important things to do on the house first). And in the words of Lewis Black, "if curling is an Olympic sport... bjs should be an Olympic sport. It's harder than curling, and if you're any good, you deserve a medal."
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

A fellow Patriots fan! Yay! :D

You mean 90 minutes of football, right? Not 80...80 is rugby.

'Ice girls'!? Pics or it didn't happen.

1) Ultimate. ( www.whatisultimate.com for those of you unfortunate enough to have never tried it.) Played for approaching 5 years now, including two years of junior (U19-level) international stuff for GB. My junior team won outdoor nationals for 3 years straight, and indoor once (the only team in GB to ever do the double, at any age limit). I started my own team in college, who came 3rd the year that I left, and the club has since evolved to become a regional-club, not a college team, and includes players from 13-20 years of age, recruiting fro local schools, with the aid of government funding! Not a bad effort (although all I did was teach them to play and captain/organise them for 18 months, before I left for uni). At uni, I played for the Leeds city 2nd team in my first year, before they got rid of it, and I went to play with Vision Ultimate (a collaboration of my ex-college/junior teammates, the Liverpool University team and their alumni, plus a few guys from Bristol, Manchester, and me), and made the top tier of ultimate (3 tier-system) in our first year - The only team with players who haven't played at that level for other teams, to do so in their first year. I play handler - Equate that to a quarterback in American football, only there are 2 or 3 of you on pitch at any time.

2) NFL. I watch it and love every second. A really big Patriots fan, having found the sport in my first year of university, and been hooked ever since. Chose the Patriots (they have "England" in their name, go figure!), and the next season, we went 18 straight. Let's not mention "that superbowl" though. It still upsets me. I also rather like the rare glimpses of NCAA American footie that I catch online. I watch all my games online, ebcause I'm too poor to afford a TV license and Sky!

Those are my sports. But I'll watch most things. Even cricket, if it's a decent series (Ashes from a few years back when we won was epic!). Not a 8massive* fan of boxing, rugby or club-level footie though. I could rant for weeks on the lameness of football at club level, but there's no point. I HATE baseball. Like watching paint dry (granted, so it cricket 90% of the time!).

Do you mean pool or snooker? We don't say "billiards" over here, but you could use the word, I suppose. It's definitely not a sport, but it is a VERY good hobby. Used to both watch and play that.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

High school soccer only had two 40 minute halves, so 80 minutes. And pool. Not snooker. I really don't know the rules of that.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

midgetshrimp wrote:High school soccer only had two 40 minute halves, so 80 minutes. And pool. Not snooker. I really don't know the rules of that.
Weak 0_o

Essentially, it's twice the size of a pool table, a thinner cue for precision, bigger balls, and you have to pot the colours in order, but can only do them after all the reds are gone. Unless you've potted a red on the shot before that one, in which case, you can pot a colour, gain the points for it, and the ball is then restored and play resumes, with you having to pot a red to gain more points. Each ball is worth a differing amount of points, as you might have guessed. It's all about white-ball control though, more than just potting. The best players move it with precision, whilst the rookies just hit for the balls, and if they miss, leave themselves open to a loss.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Well we've got two sporty people at least... I'd have thought we'd have more, or at least more comments on sport... lol

I quite like watching Ice hockey, though thats mostly for the fights. Even though alot of it is barging players out of the way, there has to be some tactics and skill in it since the puck moves so damned fast. A friend of mine used to have a roller hockey team for a while. He tried using me on it since I'm a big guy, but I've the balence of a mountain wombat on a wobble ball so sucked at skating. Luckily being big though, he could just sit me in the goal and I blocked most of it just with the padding.

A couple of sports I can't stand:

Tennis. Its soo damned boring to watch, I don't know why the hell there's such a fuss made over it. I'm a terrible player, yet I could still manage to beat people who supposidly were good regular players without even trying.

Golf. Another game that pretty pointless to me. Okay, so there it alot of skill in having to hit the ball in just the right way to get it where you want it to go, but god is it boring to play and watch. Its no wonder everyone goes in a team of several people to play it as you'd die halfway around on your own.

F1 racing. The most boring moter sport ever. If your in one of the better cars, Ferrari, Mercedes, your practically garenteed to win which makes it uninteresting to watch as you always can tell who'll win. Also, its dull to watch unless you can see it on TV as the cars pass so fast you hardly get to see any tactics or skill of racing.

I'd say Snooker, but I actually quite enjoy playing it. Its boring as heck to stand around watching it unless someone pull off a seriously epic shot, otherwise its only good to play.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I'm notorious with knocking balls off the table when I play. I've even hit some people in the nuts from across the room. I'm that good.