Sports Lounge.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Sports Lounge.

Post by Azrael »

Baseball: Love the game, from the nuanced subtlety to the power. Even though the local team is heading south of late. Hopefully our new field manager will be able to do something about this trend.

Football: Played it in highschool, enjoy it on the tube. Local team's not having a good year, most of the first string has been wiped out serially or in groups.

Soccer: As an American I am not supposed to admit I enjoy this sport, but I do. Especially the Premier League and Euro boys. Those fans get nuts. Unfortunately it is almost never on around here and I never got to play anything but school yard pick-up games as a kid. We are supposed to be getting an MLS team this coming season so perhaps that will change.

Hockey: As an American not from the Great Lakes region or New England I am not supposed to admit that I like this sport, but I do. Unfortunately, much like soccer it is not televised much. Not even the "local" team in Vancouver.

Australian Rules: Blood and broken bones, what's not to love?

Automotive Racing: Any variety.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Teacher2B wrote:My only knowledge of English Lacrosse was through (don't laugh, please) Enid Blyton's books -my mum read them when she was young and I read lots of them when I was a kid; in fact, they were the first "big kids" book I read when I was 6, 7 years old. I've always imagined that it must be quite boring to see, though she made it looked as if it totally entertaining...the same as a football match here =))
Bear in mind that those books are written a long time ago, and set in a remote part of southern England, where just about no sports are even played! :P I've never seen a lacrosse game with a single fan. Only seen two games, both were at high-school level, and I walked past, because, you know, girls playing sports are fun to watch (sometimes for the pretty ones, sometimes for the way they play sports! :D ), and decided that I didn't get it, disliked how all the girls were about 12-16 stone, and left it at that.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Been so busy as I've mentioned before, but I'm finally getting around to posting to this thread...

For Bear (even if they're not Bear-y Ice Girls)... the Tampa Bay Lightning Girls. Like Midge, I'm a hockey fan as well. Grew up in Philadelphia, raised on the Philly Flyers. My uncle was a minor league player and later an amateur leaguer like I am now, which probably helped a lot. I've mentioned before about my Ronnie Hextall goalie stick... watch this to get a sense of the pure dangerousness of such an item. But I live in Tampa Bay now, and I've watched the Tampa Bay Lightning since their inception back in '92. I've even met in person a few of the players, including team captain Vincent Lecavalier. (Incidentally, we both have the odd green-brown eyes.)

But on Saturday nights, I play in a beer league (a term of an amateur league where it's half for playing the sport, half for getting together to have a few beers afterwards) on defense. It's great fun when you get everyone on the same page... but because they're doing it recreationally, it's so aggrevating that every season you have two or three guys who always just go out there for themselves and ALWAYS end up losing the game for you.

I'll watch and follow American Football in the NFL, but more because I know other people who keep up with it. It's a social thing, for me.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Ooo... Ice Girls! Ohh.. not Beary..... *Fixes that with addition of Bear ears and tails* :D

So.. Premier League Football in England this weekend... What the heck was it with all the Big Four teams (Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea) all drawing or loosing to lesser teams? I'd think that would be practically impossible that all four did badly this weekend, especially when Man Utd played so well against Villa. I can understand arsenal loosing as their defense was rubbish, and Chelsea only drawing as they were trying to hard to cheat yet again.... But damnit Man Utd! We need the point, we're the European Champions for gods sake!

ahem.. mini-rant over.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Woo! Go Pats! :D Revenge, baby! 48-28 :))

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Phoenix wrote:Woo! Go Pats! :D Revenge, baby! 48-28 :))

What the hell happened with Light and Chrowder (or whatever his name was)? Pushing, pushing... then all of a sudden light has him by the hair and is just pounding on him. It was funny, I have to admit, but just really unexpected and unnecessary. I'm not sure about how the league doles out penalties, but they should both be hit with suspensions. I hope Sanders and Morris are good to go next weekend though.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Oh just remembered: Add to my list Air Racing, like the newer Red Bull series as well as the old style pylon speed racers.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Now thats another sport I don't get as a spectator show... Air racing. Its like F1 in the sky to me, only its much easier to pass someone.

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Baseball - can be fun in small doses and if you understand strategy.

American Football - has turned into something out of a certain Robert Asprin book. I watch it and like it, but if I had to pick between it and rugby, rugby wins every time.

Football - Man U are the Yankees of the sport, which means that every reasonable individual can and should hate them intensely. I'd rather be forced to watch Indoor Soccer or a Cricket match end-to-end than listen to 90 minutes of some jackass announcer going on and on and on and on about the wonder and skill and talent and blahblahblahblahblah of the best football money can buy. Retch. Give me a good match between two teams fighting to get out of relegation for real entertainment. Something like Blackburn - Sunderland. (Side note: Man U = Yankees, Chelsea = Red Sox, LIverpool = Los Angeles Angels for my tastes.)

Rugby - Now you're talking. I'm working on dropping enough weight to join a local over-35 club here. I've got pretty much a standing invite when I get in shape.

Hockey - Game of the gods afaic.

Racing of all kinds, Horse, Car, any kind of car - BO-RING and not a sport at all, any of it.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

midgetshrimp wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Woo! Go Pats! :D Revenge, baby! 48-28 :))

What the hell happened with Light and Chrowder (or whatever his name was)? Pushing, pushing... then all of a sudden light has him by the hair and is just pounding on him. It was funny, I have to admit, but just really unexpected and unnecessary. I'm not sure about how the league doles out penalties, but they should both be hit with suspensions. I hope Sanders and Morris are good to go next weekend though.
They never said, other than they had a fight (more like Light beat the shit outta him :P ). They'll each get a 50k fine and a game or 2 suspension. Which will kill us, because he;s essentially our sole LOT...Expect sacks galore from Steelers' excellent pass-rush.

Morris is injury-prone anyway. I'm amazed he's not on IR already. Why we don't let BJG-E run the ball more, I'll enver know. Not that Fauly did badly...but we ran it (excluding the 4th quarter), about 8 times all game! Insane. Spread offence worked well, because Cassel can only really make short balls, and cos the Fins LB's aren't designed for coverage, and their secondary sucks!

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Phoenix wrote: They never said, other than they had a fight (more like Light beat the shit outta him :P ). They'll each get a 50k fine and a game or 2 suspension. Which will kill us, because he;s essentially our sole LOT...Expect sacks galore from Steelers' excellent pass-rush.

Morris is injury-prone anyway. I'm amazed he's not on IR already. Why we don't let BJG-E run the ball more, I'll enver know. Not that Fauly did badly...but we ran it (excluding the 4th quarter), about 8 times all game! Insane. Spread offence worked well, because Cassel can only really make short balls, and cos the Fins LB's aren't designed for coverage, and their secondary sucks!
Oh yea, we face the Steelers next. Damn. Forgot that. And Morris might be injury prone, but he's one up on Maroney. And I agree that it was odd they didn't run BJGE more. Though I'm really missing Lamonte Jordan. That guy pounds some tough yards. But Faulk is one of my favorite players on the team. He goes out there and does what he needs to do. Now that Troy Brown's gone, he's our Mr. Reliable.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Of course, but he's more of a pass-catcher and blocker than runner (not that you could tell that yesterday!).

Maroney will get traded away this offseason, for a 6th/7th round pick, IMO. He's developed a hesitation instead of hitting the hole, and seems scared...which is why he got injured. Ironic, no? Compare his early-season form to the post season last year, and it's incredible. He played like a lead HB last year, but this year, he was dire.

Agreed on Jordan, but he's too injury-prone and will be let go this offseason, to free agency.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=erzZD5W2m9M - Incase you wanted to see it again :D

Our only chance VS Steelers is to isolate their LB's in pass coverage, using the spread offence that we used VS the Fins. Especially if Light is out for the next game or three. Pass protection will be poor, and the run will be stuffed by an excellent run D.

karpeth
BANNED

Post by karpeth »

Heh... The sports I'm into is only one, OCSCUBA.
*divides 1 with 0*
First ever member to be banned. Something to be proud of? no.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Anybody watching the playoffs tomorrow night (Sunday)?:D

The underdog Arizona Cardinals with their 2nd ranked passing attack host the underachieving (yet favourite) Philadelphia Eagles and their 5th ranked defence at 3pm EST, followed by the high-flying Pittsburgh Steelers top ranked defence taking on the underdog 2nd ranked defence Baltimore Ravens. The winner of each advances to the Super Bowl! :D

I'm so psyched. I hope both underdogs win. I want Arizona to win it all, because their QB will probably retire this year, and it'd be good to get a ring before he goes (other than the one he won 10 years ago)

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I feel like I should mention to Phoenix that his favorite team is the football team for my region. More specifically, based directly in my state.

I don't like football too much (I don't hate it either), but my father's obsessed, and has been bugging me for years to go to a game with him. I believe my sister's gone to one before.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *stabstabstab*

Yay, signature death.