Things You Desire.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Things You Desire.

Post by Don Alexander »

Hrm, this seems to a bit of a complicated issue...

I guess the works of Lovecraft are so old anyone is allowed to publish and republish them. I've checked out Goodreads and there are a lot of editions of this book. The B&N leather-bound ones seems to be one of the snazziest, but the one that hopefully pops up in my link (Knickerbocker 2014) is also supposed to be really beautiful. I found out that is the one that can be gotten for a good price in Germany, whereas the B&N one seems to be exclusive to the B&N site, and I guess it would cost a lot of money to ship it to Europe...

... or not, Spanish Amazon has the B&N edition for under 18 Euros! :O

Concerning completeness, one review claimed one story IS missing, "In the Walls of Eryx" - I think that was the SF story taking place on a jungle-shrouded Venus. I wonder why they left that out. :( At least I've read it.

Edit: Ok, I bought it. Along with the Mistborn Trilogy Boxset...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I think you'll really enjoy the Mistborn books. I found it to be an interesting story with a nice, different "magic" system.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I remember DnE being a huge fan. And the Lovecraft book was a "bit too cheap" to get free shipping so I was looking for something else. I had come across the Tor edition of the boxset some weeks back and now saw the British edition, by Gollancz, for also under 17 Euros!!

On the other hand, it means I am likely to buy a lot more Brandon Sanderson books sometime next year, whenever I get around to reading the trilogy... :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Hm, no Brandon Sanderson books yet...

Anyway, not 100% fitting to this thread, as it was something I did not actually desire, yet it was, completely surprisingly, gifted to me.

Behold!
1609068641116.JPEG
1609068641116.JPEG (85.77 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Thats wonderful
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Took 6 hours to build, nearly 1100 parts. ;)

And one part was incorrect, replaced by two smaller parts that were the missing part in sum. So it still worked out.
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Things I desire... well, the most obvious would be enough money to live comfortably. I don't want to be rich--just well off enough that all my bills are paid, I have money for groceries, and a little spending money.

Then would be a clean bill of health.

Then to move out of my home state and work my dream job.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

The third book in Patrick Rothfuss' 'Kingkiller Chronicle' to come out already. I mean... he's not as bad as George R. R. Martin, but... as of March, it's been 10 YEARS.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Same here, DnE, same here. We did get some side stories but even those are seven years old now. Alas. :ymsigh:

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

I desire Chinese food. But alas, I am broke for a while.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Isn't Chinese food... rather cheap? :-\
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

It is. Which shows just how broke I am until September 9th.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

A: Cheap is relative. B: Like everything else, Chinese food isn't particularly, anymore.

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Yeah, it's about 20 to get it here, and that's with me picking it up from the restaurant instead of having it delivered.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I discovered today the cheap (like €8 for all-you-can-eat) Chinese place I wanted to go to has closed, maybe permanently - victim of the inquisition pandemic?
ImageImage