The Art Thread.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Art Thread.

Post by Tenjen »

farthingale wrote:OK, I'll bite.

Most of the stuff I draw is based on whatever my current obsession is. Then there are classics I never tire of. Like the Joker. I'm freakin' crazy for the Joker. Not the new movie Joker, though he's fine, he's great, enjoyed the show. But the classic comicbook Joker. Here are two of my favourites I've done: PopArt Joker and animated Joker watching from a distance and chuckling at some chaos he's caused. These were drawn on cardboard and coloured with pencil crayons.

my god those are good!

Your a talented artist Farthing. The details and exagerated use of wrinkles that form from facial expressions are fantastic. as are the wild contours and curves of his face. The colors are very well done, with proper shading, not only in terms of a light source, but also for such matters as the hair [the roots are dark]

The 2nd one is tentamount to your skill at shading. Your tones are very well brought out here.

You've expressed the Jokers maniacal happiness and psychopathic joy.

on a related note. the only time i've ever seen the joker actually be unhappy about something he did, was when he shot Gordons wife.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymapplause: to farthingale!! She dances, she draws, she cutes... Is there anything this girl can't do??

Me? I'm feeling inadequate now. :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

harbino

Post by harbino »

OH NOES!!!! CLOWNSSS!!! :-o

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Wow... nice jokers Farthingale.... I agree with Don, is there anything you can't do? lol

If anyone does the line from The Dark Knight, its an autoban! :ymdevil:

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Bear wrote:Wow... nice jokers Farthingale.... I agree with Don, is there anything you can't do? lol

If anyone does the line from The Dark Knight, its an autoban! :ymdevil:
why so solemn?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Tenjen wrote: my god those are good!
You've expressed the Jokers maniacal happiness and psychopathic joy.

on a related note. the only time i've ever seen the joker actually be unhappy about something he did, was when he shot Gordons wife.
Thanks so much for the highly detailed compliment! It means so much when people say more than just yay or nay.

And as you say, yes, at the end of No Man's Land. It's cos it wasn't funny. I think he was basically sick and tired of the whole thing and wanted things back to what he considered normal. Though, I must say, it was a very cool moment when Gorden shot off his kneecap!
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Tenjen wrote:
Bear wrote: If anyone does the line from The Dark Knight, its an autoban! :ymdevil:
why so solemn?
No, it's "Why So Cereal?"
Dashing Gentlelady of the Elder Cave Harem. Defender of Honour, Ripper of Bodices.
Image Image

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Why so Remus? :p
Further affiant sayeth not.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

And as you say, yes, at the end of No Man's Land. It's cos it wasn't funny. I think he was basically sick and tired of the whole thing and wanted things back to what he considered normal. Though, I must say, it was a very cool moment when Gorden shot off his kneecap!
possibly he didnt like shooting her and the manner of her shooting, as well. But ill havet o revisit the comics to be sure of that.
ImageImageImage

farthingale
Gynecratic Romanticist

Post by farthingale »

Tenjen wrote:
possibly he didnt like shooting her and the manner of her shooting, as well. But ill havet o revisit the comics to be sure of that.
I just looked at it now. When Sarah comes and points the gun on him while he's with all of Gotham's toddlers, he seems like it's a bit forced. When his face is in shadows, he's grim. But then he goes through with it afterall. Once she's dead and exit the room, he's very definitely sour. It wasn't fun at all. That's why when he leaves, he grim-facedly tells Batman: "I surrender".

When Gordon starts waling on him, a bit of enjoyment starts coming back. It's as though too much success in No Man's Land took the fun out of the game for him. But once Gordon, who is pretty much his favourite toy bnext to Batman, starts interacting with him, it sparks him. However, when Gordon, quite out of character, shoots his knee, Joker almost loses his enjoyment of the situation. Until he sees the sweet and salty irony of the fact that, as he says, "Oh... Like your daughter! I get it! Good one, Commissioner!" And laughs all the way to the slammer.

EDIT: To stay on-topic... here's moar art.

In terms of obsessions, I have painted in my mind a shojo-ai romance for two of the headlining fighters in the King of Fighters videogame series, Leona Heidern and King (the woman in the suit). These are about the most stylised chibis I've ever drawn.
Image Image

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Chibi-Glomp Yay!! Soooo cute! Especially the third panel.

So, Art... (and I hope my browser does not crash now again! :(( )

Click on the pictures to get the full-sized images! :)

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Aww.. weird Chibi critters :D I like . :x

And thanks to Don for reminding people about the art in nature.

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

Farthingale: wow, those Jokers are amazing. I especially admire your coloring. What program did you do the animation in?
Also, those are some adorable little chibis. Again, what program did you use for those?

Don: Pretty flowers! Do you have a garden? They're gorgeous.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Dryope wrote:Don: Pretty flowers! Do you have a garden? They're gorgeous.
Nope. The top one is at our institute, the poppy was taken in the fields amid "the woods out back".

I have a bunch of other flower pictures, but these were the best. We even have real orchids in the area, also in our institute. Wild ones, I mean. I have a nice pic of the one I found...
ImageImage

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Don Alexander wrote:Nope. The top one is at our institute...
Institute? :-\ *Backs slowly away from Don and reaches for the number of the men in white coats*