The Art Thread.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Art Thread.

Post by Tenjen »

*face launches at you and bumps off like a ball*

*rolls around the floor unable to control himself*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

badkittyamy
Amalgamation of Monstrous Beings

Post by badkittyamy »

Two gifts done recently for friends

Nev

Post by Nev »

I was drawing this right before I came to China. It's stuck as a WIP because I forgot my tablet pen at home. Such a hassle, I wanted to finish it before Halloween, too.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well, that's nicely creepy. Bravo. :D :ymapplause:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

ChewbaccaStomper

Post by ChewbaccaStomper »

Well, looks like I'll make a post in here as well. I used to frequent this page the most, I think. A warning to you all, this will be a long post!

The very first sculpture I ever made. I did it about a year ago or so.

The design for my most recent sculpture.

My sculpture based off of that sketch. (It's about 12 inches tall, not counting the base.)

One of the new Pokemon, done for a huge collab piece.

A bio-mechanical Stegosaurus.

A weird foot-creature thing.

Last but not least, my first forays into Blacksmithing. I love every aspect of it!
chewbaccastomper.tumblr.com <--- Check out my artwork!

It's been a long time since I've been around. Hopefully not too much has changed!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Cool stuff!! :-bd
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

They're all awesome. THe head sculture, i cant believe its your first one!

The one based off a sketch, its not easy going from 2 D into 3 D!

and those blacksmithed knives are amazingly designed.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

You are definitely talented!
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Good stuff! :-bd

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

ChewbaccaStomper

Thanks, everyone. I've put a lot of effort over the years, and I still have a lot to learn! Hopefully I'll be good enough to live off of my artwork soon.

It's been a long time since I've been around. Hopefully not too much has changed!

ChewbaccaStomper

Just did a couple of quick head sketches of some characters that were created by one of my favorite youtubers, Nathan Barnatt!

I REALLY love drawing ugly characters. It's one of my favorite things!

Link fixed. The DAMNed

sassycomiccollector

Getting motivated to work on art

Post by sassycomiccollector »

Hey there fellow artists.

I hope its ok to ask this here. Ive been working on a comic I want to post online or perhaps pitch to companies.

But Im having trouble getting pages done. I have it mostly drawn out in storyboard form, might make a few changes here nad there but its mostly set. Ive got my characters. Ive got my beginning and ending to the first chapter.

And ive been working on the first page for about a month now, mostly because i couldnt find referances for certain poses and Ive been changing the dialogue a bit.

So my question is, how can I speed up things a little? I tend to get demotivated a lot because im not happy with my art or dialogue. And since this is my first comic, so I know it doesn't have to be perfect, how can I try to be less of a perfectionist.

Merged here. The DAMNed

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Sebv2 - you've a lot of issues that you've brought up, and hopefully I can offer a suggestion or two.

The first suggestion I have is to look at some of the really good comics out there like Goblins or Questionable Content or Gunnerkirgg Court. Look at them now... and then click the link to go to the beginning of the webcomics. Look at the art, and really consider the art progression. Keeping this in mind, you have to accept something - you can start out making a comic that doesn't look perfect in its first year, and people will still read it. This is VITAL to understand. Because most artists are their own worst critics, but if you don't accept that your talent always improving you'll never take that risk of starting something. You need to, though, because if you don't start you'll never be forced to put in the constant effort of a webcomic - and it's that constant effort that will lead to your improved results.

For dialogue, my suggestion is to read the lines out loud to yourself. Listen to them, even as you're saying them. Do they make sense? Do they seem clunky? Now, some webcomics have more narrative and exposition than others... decide if this works with your art style, and accept that you'll occasionally have the "wall of words" pop up. If you don't like that look, be aware of it when selecting your dialogue. It will help direct what you'll want your characters to say if they have to be brief in their exchanges.

I hope these suggestions help... good luck to you! :)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

In an addendum to DnE's first point just check out early Cool Cat Studio and Penny & Aggie strips to see how Miss Gisèle's art has evolved over the years.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Otherwise, if it's a concept that you just can't let be less than perfect, start with some other concept that is still fun and you can work up your skills that way with less internal pressure.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh