Achievements

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Achievements

Post by Fen »

(yes, a thread to boast).

I was wondering about certain things that people are particularly proud of(i.e. not the classic "good wife, good kids, good job, good school, etc", but something very personal, which may not seem as a great to others, but is to them.

e.g. this is Staples. it was a zine I released in 8th grade out of pure stubbornness. Event though the articles were crappyand the questions were stupid, it was the first thing I did by myself, from staplingto xeroxing to carrying it all 300km to a music festival so i could spread it. Also, I wasn't a band junkie back then, so it was a big factor in my getting familiar with the underground scene. I still treasure it, though i don't read it since it embarrasses me:). Also, I still like the design. Can't say the same for the other magazines I've worked for over the years.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Arantor

Re: Achievements

Post by Arantor »

I have two things.

1. Something I did a couple of years back, a web translatery thing that translates web pages into comedy dialects. In hindsight I could do a better job now I've got 2 years more experience in making big things, but I was pretty proud of it. I even got interest from a Sony rep about licensing a custom version for them.

The Voices of Many - www.thevoicesofmany.com

2. The second thing I'm proud of is what I do with my time these days - WordOwl. If anyone is reading and wonders what it is (and it is a fair question, after all) it's a comic search engine. Amongst other things it has the entirety of Ma3 archived in it, and I have some big plans for its development going forward into 2009.

stephaielikes

Post by stephaielikes »

Coming to a part of my life where I'm not overwhelmingly uncomfortable all the time.
'Did you just squeeze my butt?'
'You must not know fear. Fear is the butt-killer.'
'...was that... Doom?'

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Comming first in the North West Schools Police Challenge. Think the Krypton Factor for kids... if your English... for anyone else itsa series of events and challenges that test your mental, physical, observational, and generally all your skills.

That and getting an A* grade in my science exam by simply acing the paper and not having done the coursework, which counted towards the grade.

I used to hate homework and corsework was always homework... I survived all of highschool without doing at least 90% of the homework I was ever given, and still got all b's and aboves in my final exams.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

stephaielikes wrote:Coming to a part of my life where I'm not overwhelmingly uncomfortable all the time.
You just took all the fun out of boasting... :D

Achievements... Personal stuff, which might not be objectively seen as something of importance... Hm... :-?

Well, there's a single thing, a single deed I'm proud of in my life, I mentioned that somewhere else...

Otherwise, I don't really have anything. I guess my life is pretty hollow up to now... :-s
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

stephaielikes

Post by stephaielikes »

Hehe, so I just list achievements? Errrrrm...
I don't know! Everything violates Fen's rule about not just being 'nice wife, nice job', since mine is basically about University and generally inter-personal relationships... errrm.
Oh balls, I'm awful at this.
The truth is, the scholarships and awards and prizes are excellent, but they don't mean nearly as much to me as managing to be happy outside of success.
I've been proud of some of my essays, I suppose. I know I was certainly proud of reading the Millenium Library in it's entirety during lower VIth, too. But when it comes down to it, when I have to look back on what I made of myself, it's not what I think of.
'...was that... Doom?'

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Most important thing I've done is help save a friend's life earlier this year. Someone I've known online for many years. She was working at suicide, and I got the cops and paramedics to her apartment. They kicked in the door and saved her life, and contacted me to let me know about what they found.

Stuff I've done for myself really isn't going to have much impact on the rest of the world, but at least in that I affected one person's life.

Some of my essays have been received well, and as I mentioned in another thread, I've actually garnered support from some famous scientists for a project I'm working on. I doubt it will have a huge effect on anyone, but it should be interesting.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche wrote:Most important thing I've done is help save a friend's life earlier this year. Someone I've known online for many years. She was working at suicide, and I got the cops and paramedics to her apartment. They kicked in the door and saved her life, and contacted me to let me know about what they found.
Applause!

Well, I do hope that, next to preventing her from killing herself, the reason for her wish to die was also adressed...

And I hope she comes out of this and does something really cool herself. Then you can pat yourself on the shoulder and really be proud of yourself.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Don Alexander wrote: Well, I do hope that, next to preventing her from killing herself, the reason for her wish to die was also adressed...
Not yet, unfortunately.
And I hope she comes out of this and does something really cool herself. Then you can pat yourself on the shoulder and really be proud of yourself.
Yeah, I hope she figures it out somehow. It's kind of ruining her life.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche wrote:Not yet, unfortunately.
Yeah, I hope she figures it out somehow. It's kind of ruining her life.
:-s

Well, the one time I prevented a suicide (which is what I'm alluding to further up), it was more prophylactic, so no sharp implements or bridges involved yet. On the other hand, I actually did not realize how serious the whole matter was, which was a really good thing, otherwise I would probably have puked... Only later was I told that that one long talk made the difference.
ImageImage

stephaielikes

Post by stephaielikes »

My current partner spent a year repeatedly trying to kill himself... I had a hand in prevention many a time over it. It wasn't very pleasant (somewhat an understatement) and terrified me for a good long while. There's nothing to make you feel hopeless like a loved one wanting to move away not only from you, but from themselves.
On a better note, I have also done some life-saving! /flex
A friend of mine drank himself silly on our last day of school, and ended up passed out. Now, this young man was a sikh with very strict parents, and under no circumstances was he permitted to drink alcohol. I came over to him lay prone on the ground with his friends taking photos, and guessed he might have bent the rules a teeeeensy bit.
For about ten minutes his friends and various drunken strangers tried to tell me not to call an ambulance, as I 'didn't understand', and 'his dad would kill him'. As I checked his airway and breathing and got him into the recovery position, I saw no indication of any response- I shouted his name, shook him gently, and even (it was protocol back then, now changed) pinched his earlobes. Nothing.
I rang the ambulance about the time he started vomiting, and managed to fend off the people trying to stop me. The 'I am an nco, do as I say, whelps!' part took over, and I managed to tell three girls to go wait for the ambulance and get me the streetname. It was late june, boiling out, and I was there in my old school summerdress and boater (the theme was school uniform), checking his pulse and dreading the prospect of CPR. Resus Annie is a far cry from some hulking great lad covered in whisky-vomit.
It was about this time he wet himself, and luckily my boyfriend came back at that stage; he leant over him and kept him in the recovery position so I could run and find the nearest street name to guide the ambulance; they took near to 45 minutes to arrive, and by that time by friend was having seizures, his jaw shaking uncontrollably. They eventually arrived, I filled them in, and after also getting no response, they carted him off in an ambulance with his younger brother. I'll not explain the part of the story in which the policeman who turned up midway through was incredibly rude; I think they're so used to dealing with unco-operative individuals, their default stance is defensive.
Once it was finally over and he was off, I ended up bursting into tears (in summerdress and boater and all) as I walked back with my boyfriend to the pub we were all headed to; the act of doing first aid didn't scare me, but having to fight people off to get their friend help really shook me up.
The boy in question called me a few days later, saying he'd lost a lot of his short-term memory and it had taken electric shocks to the neck to wake him up.
So, kids... watch your drink!
'...was that... Doom?'

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I've played ultimate for Great Britain at U19 level. Does that count?

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

stephaielikes wrote:For about ten minutes his friends and various drunken strangers tried to tell me not to call an ambulance, as I 'didn't understand', and 'his dad would kill him'. As I checked his airway and breathing and got him into the recovery position, I saw no indication of any response- I shouted his name, shook him gently, and even (it was protocol back then, now changed) pinched his earlobes. Nothing.
the truth is, many kids would rather die than have their parents find out something.
And also, given the fact that it's common to pass out after drinking, it's also hard to realize the possibility of being in a coma. When the big festivals are here, we always have dozens, or even hundreds of people getting comatose, and a few who die because people ignore them. But still, many see calling an ambulance as "Ah, he'll wake up, no need. His folks would kill him if they found out he drunk."
That's why, whenever i see a person sleeping on the ground, I wake them up before moving on. They may curse me, but it's for their own good.

Ah, also, abotu the ambulance making 45 minutes? Last time I called an ambulance it took 6 hours before they called to asked if we still needed one. "nah, the bleeding stopped" "oh, good".
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I'm proud of the person I turned out to be. I have had a strange and sometimes quite horrible past, and the fact that I've turned out to be the person I am still kinda surprises me. I am proud of most of the choices I have made in my life, and the fact that I have admitted and repented for the ones that I am not proud of.

It's a complicated story to go into, and not one to bring down this rather heart-warming thread, but from the get-go, I had a pretty awful time of it. My dad tried to kill me ( a couple of times) and my mother came close on a few occasions as well. My sister tried to kill me about once a fortnight until I was 8 years old, and even though I've dealt with those issues as best as is possible, they still come up and they still shape the person I am now. I'm proud of the fact that the choices I have made have always been made with integrity, and with the desire, not to be the bigger person as such, but to inject dignity into the situation. My mum kicked me out of home when I was in high school, 1 week before her birthday. I sent her a card. Not to be the bigger person, but as a link for my mother to get back what she had discarded. I got fucked over by a 'friend' who started sleeping with the guy I'd just broken up with (it wasn't the sleeping with him that was the problem, it was the obviously flaunting it in front of me and comparing herself to me that bugged me), so i called her once I'd calmed down, and told her that if she was prepared to put some of the work in, I was willing to give the friendship another try. She wasn't, but I still called, I still wrote her emails, I still included her, and I quit my one social activity in the week so that she and my ex could have time together without me around to make them uncomfortable. But more than that...when i was little, I would stand up for friends when they're being bullied, even though it meant I would be teased even more. I still stand up for people. Even if i don't like them, I'll give them a fair go. Even if they are being complete jerks....even if they are being jerks to me. I beat the living snot out of a guy once for picking on my friend who was several grades lower than him. I got punched in the face once for telling a guy he was out of line for calling my friend fat (my jaw clicked for a week, and I got sent to the principals office for fighting). My ex-boyfriends best friend decided that my friendship with my other ex wasn't good for my relationship. I took the time to see it from his point of view, and learned to appreciate the fact that he was looking out for his mate. I thanked him for pointing out something that may have become an issue, and giving us the opportunity to talk about it openly, and copped 2 years of non-stop abuse and social ostracism for it. On Monday I'm going to confront a girl who thinks it's okay to spread rumors about me, and claim they were told to her by one of my best friends. (she told my housemate that I have HIV...WTF, people!) But I'm going to talk to her, tell her what I know, tell her I've told the guy she's co-slandering, and I'm going to give her a chance to say she's sorry, and to admit she did something wrong.

There have always been temptations to just let the bad things in life overwhelm me, and to do those fucked up things that get you what you want but hurt other people. I'm proud that, other than two times in the past, I've taken the high road, and the abuse, and walked with my head held high. I'm proud of my friends, who didn't believe the lies and who trusted that I was a good person. My achievement is myself, and I am a work in progress.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

Hooray! I love hugs!

In my local gaming shop I'm known as the serial hugger. I hug. It's what I do. I hug, give out candy and tickle people when they need it. I also spank bottoms, but only when I think people secretly enjoy it.

The funny thing is that the things in there aren't really the big things...they are just the ones that are easiest to express.

Oh...my neighbour and my old housemate had a joint birthday party, and so i bought them flowers to share (I was poor). But on the train I saw this adorable old couple. They were obviously still very much in love, and they must have been at least 80. The gentleman made sure there was space for his wife, sat her down, almost fell over as the train began to move, then sat down, holding one of her hands and with his arm around her shoulders. They talked to each other, he would whisper sweet nothings in her ear, and she'd giggle. They were off to a play. Watching them on the train made me so very happy, and I decided to share the story with my friends, but i didn't know how to include them. So I took some of the flowers out of the bunch that I had, and just as I was about to get off the train at my stop, I handed the lady the flowers, and told her that the two of them had inspired me, and that I hoped they had a wonderful evening at the theatre. And I gave that story to my friends as a birthday present, along with the diminished bunch of flowers. [/brag]
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.