Achievements

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Achievements

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Way to go, DA! :D :-bd
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Don Alexander wrote:4.5 years in the making. Now done.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1606.06791
*quotes cause new page*

Congrats :-bd
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Don Alexander, congratulations. ( I'm glad you've achieved a certain kind of stardom.) ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Don Alexander wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:57 am
4.5 years in the making. Now done.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1606.06791
Well, "done" in the sense of "submitted"...

And NOW, after another nearly THREE YEARS, it's finally accepted and in press... :|

Man, I've GOT to get better at handling these these things... :-Q Turned out to be a really good paper, though. Well, TRIPLE paper since the first report asked me to split it up as it was way too long... :ymblushing: What's actually part II was already published last year:

https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/abs/2 ... 92-17.html
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Congratulations, Alex! :ymparty:
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Now this is a major achievement.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I have a small achievement to announce of a personal nature:

After over a decade, I'm no longer single. Her name is Vee. We knew each other online for a couple of years as friends, but this time last year we made it official that we were a couple. At the moment I am in New Hampshire and visiting her, meeting face to face for the first time. We're deliriously in love with one another, and it's very nice. :)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

That's great to hear, DnE. Congratulations. :D

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I so happy to hear you've met someone, DnE! And DA, congrats on the publication!
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Awesome!
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Fantastic, DnE!!!!! :x :x :x :x

This is the best news I've heard in quite a while!!!! I hate you

So, is the girlfriend of the accidental Gary cosplayer, named VEE, a good ZEE, I mean Zii cosplayer?? :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

*explodes into confetti and lynx bits in celebration*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Dirty n Evil wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:44 am
Way to go, DA! :D :-bd
It's getting a bit scary, but I have yet another achievement to report! :-o

I had originally gotten a two-year fellowship in Spain. That fellowship has run out, but my bosses were able to hire me directly, but only until the end of 2019, then THEIR money runs out. During that time, I wrote two further applications which were both rejected. :( Then, in October 2018, December 2018 and finally January 2019, I wrote three further applications! The first two were similar, applications for a three-year project grant, which means you tell them "I'm not only good at what I do, but I have a plan for my work over the next few years!" The first was on the national level, the second on the state level. The third application, which I'm sure I'll lose, was identical to one of the two failed ones from before, a merit-based five-year fellowship.

Anyway, tl;dr, a week ago, I was told that the "National Project" three-year grant had gone through!!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

I was a bit reluctant since it was all rather provisional and some things were not clear (e.g., salary seemed very low), but by now, I've found out that my salary will be the same as what I get right now, which is not terribly much (not getting rich, folks), but als about 400 bucks better than what I got in the first two years. Also, there was the weird thought that the three years meant 2019/20/21, and thanks to creeping bureaucracy, I'd just lose about 1/6 of the money because, you know, 2019 has started... But that's also wrong, it'll be (as should be expected) three years from the start of the contract. Though that may be a while, as the final resolution is expected in July or so...

So I'm fully employed until like summer 2022!!! :-bd

Furthermore, last Friday, I saw Avengers: Endgame, AND the long-worked-on paper I mentioned further above was finally published in the journal in all finality!!! \:d/ \:d/ \:d/
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

HUZZAH! for secure employment. Gratz, Alex. :ymparty:

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yay for job security!