D&D anyone? (:

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Re: D&D anyone? (:

Post by GothPoet »

Combat Description Cards for Storytellers and GMs

I backed this Kickstarter, maybe some of you might like to too. ;)
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Evil Ben

Post by Evil Ben »

During an Eberron (v3.5) campaign I'm playing a monk. We're all doing the exploring thing, and we come across this warehouse. I happen to find a moldy, raggedy blanket and decide, what the heck? so I keep it. Not 10 minutes later we're confronted by a warforged barbarian. I'm in there trying to hit this guy, but keep rolling horribly. In fact I get knocked back due to a particularly vicious hit from the warforged. And then I spy my moldy blanket. So I get behind him, jump on his back and use the blanket to cover his face. I roll something like a 25 for my acrobatics to jump on him, and use my improved grappling to get the blanket over his head. So for the next four rounds or so I keep having to make "ride" checks to keep from getting thrown off as this huge warforged is thrashing around, trying to dislodge me and stave off the attacks from the rest of the party AND make my grappling rolls to keep the blanket covering his head...

During the playtesting for Pathfinder (it's like D&D v3.7) we decided to try an evil group. And I tested out a half orc barbarian AND an elf wizard. So my barbarian was always telling everyone what to do. Cuz he's the strongest, so he's in charge, right? And my wizard was secretly trying to kill off everyone that slighted him. So we're hired to rescue the Mayor's son, but end up finding about 20 other "missing" children instead. So being evil we start arguing about leaving them there (cuz we're not getting paid to find "them" or take them over to the next town to sell them (the Mayor won't pay for them and the rest of the town is too poor...). Our DM stopped that campaign after we ended up killing off the Mayor (trying to backstab us) and torching the town... My half orc "adopted" one of the abducted kids to clean up after him and as a snack in case the food ran out...

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Ah, the "evil group". The easiest way to find out just how twisted your friends really are. ;)

While me and my friends most often run Pathfinder, we're also big fans of Mutants & Masterminds. I haven't run a game in a little bit myself, and my pals let me know in no uncertain terms when it comes to comic book trivia I seem to know way too much so I've been nudged into forming a super hero campaign. We have our own little amalgam universe with its own particular quirks, such as a Justice League that has Superman, Spider-Man, The Flash, The Vision, Zatanna, and a Batman Beyond super-suited Batgirl. The Avengers are lead by Iron Man and they're run by the US Government (with more than a few subtle cues to not be trusted), and the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning is co-run between Charles Xavier and his friend Erik Lehnsherr (who is still fighting for direction of the mutant people, but has never used the name "Magneto").

I've decided that with my campaign, I'm going to give my pals a glimpse into why this amalgam universe happened. The classic DC character Adam Strange kept going back and forth between Earth and the planet Rann because of a Zeta beam. I've decided that the Zeta particle wasn't simply pulling Adam across space - it was pulling him across dimensions. And the scientist from Rann who developed this technology, Sardath, wasn't aware of this nature of the Zeta particle. So every time he used it, the beam was causing ripples across dimensions. Ripples that caused the anachronisms of our current game world. The group of young adventurers are to seek out the largest disturbances and hope to calm their effects in the outcome of the world... for if too much distabilization happens, all of reality will begin to twist on itself.

I told my pals, "pick your characters, but have fun if you want with the version of them... take alternate versions you've heard of, or can plausibly imagine." I ended up a Nightcrawler who was trained by Weapon X, Beast Boy (and no, that wasn't my pick! :p ), a young Scarlet Witch who fears she's responsible for this reality mix up, a Blue Beetle with the alien symbiote... but who's attached to smart geek Ted Kord, and finally Jubilee who was bitten and made into a vampire. They sound like a very diverse group, and I just hope I can instill in them a desire to work together as a group. :ympray:
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Evil Ben

Post by Evil Ben »

Before Paizo decided to make Pathfinder into the next step in v3.x D&D they had a Campaign Setting for 3.5.
In that magical tome are class variations. One for the cleric gives up the cleric domain spell/powers and gives the cleric a fighter's hd and BAB,
and it is called a Holy Warrior. So for my latest character I have a 1st level Holy Warrior/1st level paladin of Sarenrae.
A paladin with a scimitar is just too cool...

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So, our D&D campaign had a bit of a hiatus with my recent troubles, but we got it going again this past Sunday.

Our villains were attacking a tower, and decided to split the party and have some attack from the ground floor, while the bulk of the dastards spider climbed/flew/teleported to the top of the tower to attack there.

The ground floor attack group, consisting of Romero (brought back after his previous misfortune) and three Nessian Warhounds, and three booby-trapped skeletons (thanks to the vampire/favored soul) did well. Save that the skeletons turned out mere speed bumps to the clay golems, doing all of nothing but getting in their way for one round.

They faced mostly mooks, but also two clay golems, who ended up killing one of the warhounds. (Poor Kenny. =(( )

Meanwhile, the rest attacked the roof. Facing two half-celestial lammasu, the commander of the tower forces, and eventually, a couple dozen mooks who heard all the fighting.

The commander saw the huge array of forces brought to bear, and started running for the alarm gong. He died just as he got within reach of it, thanks to the villains' resident vampire. She then spent the rest of the fight guarding the gong* and casting the occasional spell. This fight also went well, even though three mooks nearly escaped. It ended up with a statue of a lammasu (thanks to Romero's medusa minion) pushed over one of the stairs to block it up, the other lammasu dead, along with all but the aforementioned three mook guards. They were caught between Romero coming up the tower, and the drow rogue chasing after them.

Next session...war!

*The vampire misspoke herself, when she said what she was guarding, calling it "the dong". Many laughs were had by all. :ymdevil:
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So our villains attacked the city and while it wasn't a complete curb stomp on their part, it was close (they ended up about 3 VP short of a Flawless Victory).

Later, while the villains were doing their villainy, some of the villagers tried a desperate escape. Unfortunately for them, they picked the exact moment when the villains were checking their minions at the guard tower to attack it. The fight went pretty well for the villains, mainly due to good tactics and taking out the group's only healer first.

Near the end of the fight, the drow was contemplating throwing his shiny new +3 human bane seeking dagger at one of the remaining holy warriors (a human). With the range, however, he figured it was too bad of a shot and decided to just go with his trusty bow instead. I jokingly told him that now was the time he'd roll a natural 20. We all chuckled a bit, and he rolled.

Natural 20.

Many laughs and some good-natured ribbing ensued.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

I thought Lammasu were "Outsiders" to start with. Or did my memory fail me.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

They might have been in older editions, but in 3rd edition they were magical beasts.

Lammasu

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

GP - that last post, ugh, that really struck a similar complaint with me and my players. Okay, sometimes I'm guilty of it, too. Sometimes, when you get into that "I'm a hero!" mindset, it's tough to know when a situation is something you shouldn't try and face head-on. And by the time you've engaged them and found out personally... well, it's a bit too late, isn't it?
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Every once in a while, in my adventures, I let the characters happen upon entities that are clearly way fucking beyond their power level, even if they themselves are already high-level characters. It's probably impossible to actually keep them humble, but it maybe helps a little bit...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

my DM's tend to chuck you into the deep end (bunch of rookies facing Imps for example). And to hammer home the point there's been a few times where our "goal" was destroyed by the time we got there, just to hammer home the point that WE ARE NOT THE CENTER OF THE MULTIVERSE!!! :p
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So, our villains encountered a pack of blink dogs. They took out the leader with very little problem (the Godling's medusa follower turned it to stone), but the mooks were giving them all kinds of grief.

Especially fun was the rogue. He threatened a crit on the same blink dog on one attack per round for three rounds in a row. Every time the blink dog blinked away rather than be hit.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.