D&D anyone? (:

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Re: D&D anyone? (:

Post by Swayambhu »

I--I don't get it. ;_; Did I unintentionally make a D&D pun?
ImageImage

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Stats are to die for.

2D4
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

o-oh, yes, I'm--I'm hilarious apparently #-o
ImageImage

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Since you're here...

Boop on the nose.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

It's okay Sway. These guys play D&D. They might not ever see a pretty girl, so when one says anything to them they have to giggle :p

Speaking of which, I should probably figure out if this latest edition is any good at some point.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

4.0 or the new play-testable one?
ImageImage

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

It seems a bit late to get into 4th edition, but I've seen people talking about D&D Next, or whatever they're calling it.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Yay for Sway geekiness! :D

So, my group is most of the way through the first adventure in Pathfinder's "Rise of the Runelords" campaign. I've been making tiny alterations here and there to the story whenever it says to play something one way, when the characters would cleary benefit from greater interaction by the exact opposite response. I will say that (at least in the first adventure) the adventure pacing didn't suit my friends. A bit too slow to begin with, and then all the action crammed in at the end. I've found they prefer a good dose of both alternatively to keep them alert and interested. Too much straight out combat is as dulling as constant information about the town's personalities.

Did have a funny moment in last weekend's game. My friends, who love to switch around names, were in a fight with the goblin warchief Ripnugget... who one of them dubbed "warchief Gripnut", and that started about five minutes of laughter. But Ripnugget is supposed to fight to the death - and when the party had killed off all his surrounding goblins, leaving him alone, and they gave him a chance to surrender? Well, they did it in a very clever fashion that I had to applaud because it suited the information they'd discovered about goblins not liking writing because it stole words from your head.

The Ranger flicked her rapier against his skin, barely drawing blood, but then used the point of the rapier to write Ripnugget's name on a piece of parchment. The Ranger then said that they had stolen the chief's name, and that if he gave up they'd let him escape. The Bard caught on, and cast Dancing Lights on the parchment, to make it seem like magic. Intimidate check by the Ranger with a bonus for the spell, and poor Ripnugget was whimpering with this display. They let him go, as long as he promised to never come back... well, the adventurers are going to find that letting him live was a mistake. When Ripnugget left, I've decided he cut the rope bridge they needed to get back and I'm curious to see how they solve that problem.

;)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

mikbuster wrote:It seems a bit late to get into 4th edition, but I've seen people talking about D&D Next, or whatever they're calling it.
4.0 is still the current D&D format, the next one hasn't been released for purchase - there's only been play-testing.

And I've played both, and before that, 3.5 (which is my favorite format).
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Swayambhu wrote:I think the dice were in my favor when I was building her, because her stats are to die for.
I thought you had done that on purpose. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Swayambhu wrote:I play.

I'm an amateur, but you know, I play.

Made a level 7 Cleric/Ordained Champion recently. Hoping to get a decent test run out of her next Tuesday, she's got a hell of a set-up. I think the dice were in my favor when I was building her, because her stats are to die for.
I <3 you, Sway... *grins*

As for D&D editions, I gave up at 4th Edition. I have a lot of the books, but it felt too much like they were trying to make it table top PC gaming.

My group and I switched over to Pathfinder, which I am really enjoying. It has better feel to it.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Our groups stick with version 3.5 for much the same reason, and also we didn’t really want to repurchase all the books again. If we switched it would likely be Pathfinder.

Currently, I’m running a Darrow Darrowson, a dwarf wizard 5/earth elemental adept 8 in one game and Jean-Éric Vanille, a human cleric 5/morninglord of Lathander 3, in another.
I think outside the tesseract.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

I've got two halfling psions in different Pathfinder games. Same basic concept, but realized that shaper wasn't really working the way I wanted it to with Pathfinder rules. Otherwise the personality differences are that the first one is destroy first, ask questions if something survives while the second is a lot more mellow and cautious. When the DM rules that killing a party member isn't against the way you play your character, there's probably an issue there (it came up with my first psion when he decided it was a good idea for things to try to mind control the party and ordered me to not hold back which meant killing the one guy mercilessly, think the damage was supposed to be like his entire HP when he was almost dead already).

The reason for the personality shift between them is more because of my own mood shift over that time ;)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

This is what paladins look like when they detect evil.

“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Ah, good, a GP sighting. #:-s
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.