Pets: Friends & Masters

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Pets: Friends & Masters

Post by Don Alexander »

My, what green eyes you have!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

And such big ears! is she about to starts growing again?
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

I think she's full grown actually but not quite sure of her age,
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

she was a bit surprised by the camera flash

but then got bored of it

one of the rescued kittens

does it have chimeara genes?

pups we rescued from traffic

While we were away for a while, one climbed up on the seat and fell asleep

has tick bite fever, need to keep giving her meds to keep her alive
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8661_o.jpg
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Apparently there's a surprise visitor at Topatocon who literally stopped the show.

Today has been a lot about dogs on the internet.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Found in a dumpster more dead than alive. Very touch and go saving her. Was a long while back

Now she has found a good home and looks beautiful.

Last edited by Tenjen on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Such a beautiful kitten. It aches every time I see these cases that you share, yet ultimately so powerful when you later see them recovered and enjoying life.

On a more playful note, I got a bit of a care package from a friend who even though she isn't much of a cat person knows how much Saskia means to me. Included was a tweeting cat toy that looked like a hybrid mousie-bird that drew Saskia's attention with every electronic chirp. Only... Saskia still hasn't figured out that you need to shake it or give it a swat to make it chirp. So she'll curl up around it and appreciate its presence, but ultimately forget about it until I go and tap it for her.

There was also a stuffed Grumpy Cat doll, who is clearly my spirit animal. And Saskia does not like stuffed Grumpy Cat. =)) My guess is that it looks enough like a real cat that Saskia sees it as a rival.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Ceiling Cat resurrected. :p

Much :x for the work your Mother and you do with these animals, Tenjen.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Seriously, you and your mom have so much respect from me. What you do is not easy.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, I'm sharing a bit of an experience with Saskia in hopes that if you have an older cat, you know to look out for yourself.

Saskia is 11, and she's had a problem in that sometimes her claws don't scale away when she sharpens them like they should. Which means that while I clip the very tips of her claws to keep them from growing too long (as well as possibly not scratching me when she gives a warning swat), I've recently had a problem where the claw grows so quickly it's curled down and nearly pressing against the pad of her paw.

This isn't so bad so long as I can lift up the claw sufficiently to get the kitty nail clippers underneath it... but today I went to inspect her claws and saw that it had grown too close to her pad for me to even get the nail clippers beneath it. I looked up online, and while they didn't give me suggestions of how to tackle the problem I did read up that as cats got older the tendons in their paws aren't as taught as when they're young. So they go around with their claws half-extended more frequently in their mature years. Which is part of the reason why it can sit against their pad like that - it's not fully retracted. However, I didn't find a suggestion of how to take on this issue.

What I did was I took a pair of normal human nail clippers, and very carefully (near the bottom edge) snipped about two-thirds of the way across, into her nail... making very sure not to bring the clippers even close to her pad. This allowed the nail to scale away like it was supposed to, and almost immediately it flaked away. Not just at the tip of the nail, but the outer layer of claw that should flake away over time anyway and hadn't been.

I was very relieved it worked out, but I thought I'd share this experience in case any of you with a cat encounters a similar issue and it helps. Oh... and if you're wondering how I got her to hold so very still while clipping her claw, I caught her while she was napping and brought her over to clip at it. So, she was still half-groggy.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

D&E...I wish I had known about your problem...but you worked out the solution on your own. That's what we've had to do in the past when we have had much older cats.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Heh, yeah... I don't know if it's how I was brought up, or my anxiety that locks me in place to try and fix every problem on my own... but I do have difficulty not asking for help until something is on fire or someone might be possibly hurt if I don't ask for help. :ymblushing:

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I found out Tycho has arthritis in his hips and one of his legs. Now we need to figure out sleeping arrangements. He always sleeps in my bed. It's too high for him now though. It was probably too high BEFORE now, but yeah. No more jumping. I'll either have to train him to sleep in his own bed or do like I did last night and put a mattress on the floor >_> Either way, long term accommodations need to be made.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Your bed is so ableist! :P

Can you build a ramp he can run up? You can label your project DDDA - Dedicated Disabled Dog Access.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

You could sleep on the floor? :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh