Pets: Friends & Masters

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Pets: Friends & Masters

Post by yiraheerai »

I take a bowl with me when we go. He'll drink out of this bowl when we're at my grandmother's and the like. It's just when we're out or in the car that he won't drink. I'm pretty sure he's not a cat.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

He's transspecies. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

In the realm of Most Ironicly named cat I would nominate Mischief, the bloody well best behaved furball I've ever had, EXCEPT that it seems someone's been pulling a fast one on us for the past year. With the sudden heat she'd lost a lot of her fluff and apparently She is a HE with a pair of danglies that'd be like soccer balls on a human! :-o :p =))
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Ha! That must have been a LOT of fur to cover that up.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Tycho caught what was either a prairie dog or a ground squirrel. Before work this morning, I took him out as I normally do and he went to this pile of wood we have next to Dad's garage. He pawed and digged and stuck his head in there trying frantically to get whatever it was. I was curious, so I decided to move some of the pieces and...

I swear it looked like the rodent practically jumped into Tycho's mouth. It definitely ran in that direction and Tycho was right at the edge waiting for it. I yelled "NO!" really loud and clapped my hands hard once. He dropped the thing with a look that was part guilt for doing something wrong and complete confusion on why I was getting on to him. I only saw the rear part of the animal. It fit well enough in his mouth but seemed bigger than most ground squirrels we see at the park. I'm honestly not sure if ground squirrels are in this area of town. We see a lot of rabbits and a few coyotes since the area is out of city limits. There is more in the way of open field and little in the way of trees, so it was probably a prairie dog.

But yes. He has a lot of restraint when it comes to hunting. Unlike the neighborhood dogs. I've seen chickens hanging out of their mouths and Dad apparently saw one of the dogs kill a rabbit in our yard. I love the bunnies ;_;

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Saskia got some new kitty furniture, and I took a little video of her reacting to having it brought in. I've described in the past how she makes odd little sounds frequently, and in this video I caught one of her funny little squelched squeaks she makes.

View My Video

EDIT: I really didn't like what TinyPic did to the video, so I decided to just post it on YouTube and it looks much better now.
Last edited by Dirty n Evil on Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Nose freckle intact. :x
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Dang it, I'm too soft hearted. :ymsigh: There are three stray cats that have their own little family that frequent my apartment complex - I've named them Beeker, Smokey, and S'up. Beeker because she "peeps" for a meow, Smokey because she's this nice combination of gray and white that makes me think of smoke, and S'up... well, she was so named because of how we first met. S'up has a badly injured right ear that healed wrong and is bent down over her ear, giving her this tough cat look. The first time I saw her I expected her to run away like many feral cats do, but she just looked at me so blandly all I could think was the casual way some people smush "What's up" into "S'up".

Well, I'm an animal person so I've always talked nicely to them, but never pet them because I worried about possibly infecting Saskia with something. I just spoke warmly, gave them the trill sound that I know cats recognize as a positive greeting. Apparently, they took well enough to those signs that they now know my car on sight and start towards me even before I park. They're very affectionate, and they've actively rubbed against my legs. It's gotten to the point where they have started to linger in the hallway to my apartment, too.

Well, today it was just too much. I had just bought Saskia the new piece of cat furniture, but she had two other pieces that she never uses anymore. I've brought a previous one over to Paul's for his cats, but I offered him another of Saskia's old ones and he declined. So, today I brought the old piece of cat furniture out onto my back patio area, then guided the stray cats back there to show them they're welcome. And I pet them, which they were all very happy for. S'up was the most skittish, and Smokey has a habit of giving tiny little love bites - nothing to break the skin or such, just a slow touch of her teeth against your hand. As I did this Saskia glared at them through the sliding glass door and hissed jealously. As soon as I went back inside I vigorously washed my hand with anti-bacterial soap under very hot water before anything else, and she didn't smell them on me at all. I just know that I'm half inviting them to adopt me, and I really wish I could do more for them.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

*looks at Wally on his lap* Dude, resign yourself, you got more cats. :p
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

NOPE! Can't do that, won't do that. I'm resigned to the fact that Saskia cannot and will not accept any other pet other than herself... and honestly, I may not stay at this apartment complex for so very much longer, and they're outside cats. I couldn't very well take them along with me. I just try to be kind to other living creatures when I can.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Than the answer is simple, see if anyone you know might be able to adopt them. Or if you know of a no-kill shelter nearby, contact them.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Tycho's the same as Saskia; he will always be an "only pet" kind of dog. He's too territorial and possessive of me. I follow Randy Milholland on twitter and he recently got himself a new kitten. It's been making me want one hardcore. I just know that if I were to get one, Tycho would kill it within a day. He sure as hell tried during that short period I had that fat cat. :ymsigh:

I feel you.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

http://i.imgur.com/z3TDBJP.jpg

My moms favorite alley/wild cat, who was rescued after she lost her paw to humans. Which hasnt slowed her down
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

She's a pretty little thing.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

she's friendly, small and soft. has classic black cat looks. She needs to hop a bit due to the lost paw you can see in the pic, but she's healthy and happy atleast, better than when we found her thats for sure
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?