The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Tenjen »

122705327_10218595757114241_4567520954571844063_n.jpg
122705327_10218595757114241_4567520954571844063_n.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

FIGHT ME BRO
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So... Wonder Woman 1984.

THIS is how we return to blockbusters at the movie theaters?

I mean, I kind of had fun, it has some spectacular visuals... But still I left the cinema feeling quite disappointed (I love the first part!).

Yeah, and now the hatred is pouring in...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Don Alexander wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:53 am
FIGHT ME BRO
Funny, so THIS is where I saw that.

I'm putting this here not only as a reply to that, but also because it belongs here.

I've just spent the day watching the entire two seasons of The Mandalorian.

Season 1 and Episodes 1 -7 of Season 2 are really, really great, and I expected no less - I mean, I had heard the buzz.

Still in total, I would prefer Firefly. It's a comparison on a really high level.

But the Season 2 finale... I am speechless. This was the best "TV series" episode I have ever seen in my life. It made me ogle. It made me pump my fist in elation. It made my cry.

And I am obviously not alone, the episode is rated a ridonk 9.8/10 on IMDB with over 40,000 votes cast. :-o Which actually brings me to the question: Who the fuck did NOT rate this 10/10????? b-(
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

In any group there is always going to be That-One-Fucking-Guy.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Whelp, Gina Carano got herself cancelled.

Buh bye, Cara Dune. :| You will be missed.

Carano, not so much, looking at her opinions...
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

a lot of her defenders excuses are rather shallow though. when its clear they care more about the show than anything else.

Like jeez. that got her out of trouble when she mocked trans people (Pablo had to talk to her about that, his sister is trans) and when she kept bringing up that anti-masker crap.

her entire "this is a censor state!" rubbish is a bad faith arguement. There are consequences for spilling venom and bile. If we dont have consequences for vomiting out such venom, then the consequences fall on those that venom is targeting. We've seen that on the 6th after all that election fraud talk (which is also being used to justify extensive voter supression right now btw).

She faced the consequences for doing shit like this REPEATEDLY. Her influence from being part of a popular show only went so far. The arguements she is making are bad faith because they're "reasoneable points" being applied to unreasonable topics, outright lies and intoleralent beliefs.

And i say all this being a HUGE fan of the show and having been one of hers even longer.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Hey, have you all heard of this new-fangled fad they have now? Apparently you can go sit in the dark in this large room, eat overpriced snacks, and watch these things called "movies". Sounds sketchy, I don't think it will ever catch on personally.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Especially not since they are back on here, but not showing in English!! :(( :(( :((
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Anyone seen kong and godzilla?
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, FINALLY!!!

English showings are back and I can go see Kong vs. Godzilla as well as Monster Hunters next Tuesday/Thursday.

Guess they consider Tom & Jerry a kids' movie with no OV audience... But ok, I can live with that.

I could also go see "I care a lot" - do I want to? (think) Naaah, probably not. Got too much work to do.
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Tenjen wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:17 am
Anyone seen kong and godzilla?
No not yet. I've been too busy to get to the cinema since they have re-opened.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Whelp, my laziness caused to to miss Godzilla vs. Long today, so I went to see Monster Hunter today.

Resounding MEH.

I mean, I knew it would be a leave-your-brain-at-the-door monster bash. But such can be great fun (see the success of Godzilla vs. Kong), or even cult movies for eternity (Pacific Rim!!!).

This insulted even my residual spinal cord. And from what I've heard, not knowing the games might have caused me to chuckle a few times less, but game fans seemed to have also hated it.

Thursday Godzilla, hope it is better.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Ok, so I've now seen Godzilla vs. Kong.

SFX: Absolutely awesome. The battle scenes are incredible. A real pity I could not see this in IMAX. The viewers in Hong Kong must have huge fun seeing their city torn to shreds. :))

Musik: Also awesome. This was a big nice surprise, the soundtrack ROCKS. Soon to be heard at roleplaying tables all across the world when EPIC BOSS MUSIC is needed.

The plot: .... ....... meh. L-)

I mean, yeah, of course I expected a stupid monster movie. But the last three MonsterVerse movies, while hardly Oscar luminaries, had some interesting twists and turns and stuff. This one was so thin, it needs a sammich. Maybe my willing suspension of disbelief has suffered during the pandemic... :ymsigh:

So, yeah valid escapism, but don't expect too much of it.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Ok, movie (and kind-of movie) news!!

A week ago, finally had another movie "date" with my female friend here and we went to see Promising Young Woman. Which, I think, got only a single Oscar after being nominated for 5... :( Anyway, great movie, and a lot less Tarantino than I had expected. Also very funny in a black humor way.

Then, Thursday, Mortal Kombat!! I mean, I have never played this game in my life, I am hardly steeped in the lore. Still, astonishing how many characters were at least a bit familiar. Anyway, I can't really talk about this from a "is this a good adaptation of the video game" perspective, but as a standalone, it was quite spectacular. Great fun, sufficiently bloody and violent, and all the famous lines are dropped somewhere (well, maybe - if there's one that isn't dropped, I would not notice...). FLAWLESS VICTORY!

And on Saturday early morning, nearly an hour after midnight already, I watched the entirety of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show, clearly up to MCU standards. But after the awesometastic WandaVision, it just seemed so... standard. It's got its humor, especially from the foe yay/budding bromance of the two leads (Sebastian Stan is, as always, impeccable). It's got antagonists who are not completely black in a black & white world. It has, I guess, one reasonably major twist on a character Oh, Sharon, what happened to you... But she makes an awesome upcoming villain as the Power Broker. But it lacks the absolutely crazy "WTF IS GOING ON???" whiplashes of WandaVision, it lacks the cosmic scope... What I did appreciate, however, was the Phase 4 post-Endgame world building. Oh, and Zemo. Zemo is just absolutely awesome, and Daniel Brühl plays him brilliantly.

So now begins the wait for Loki. I'm actually rather worried, I'm hyping that show into the greatest thing ever, I may be bitterly disappointed. :((
ImageImage