The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Tenjen »

this has triggered a meme ressurection

Multiple ones

All of this was unnecessary.

They say they're going to redesign it but will it be worth the additional cost vs what it will earn in the end? Wont this mean a lot of late hours for the animators?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Do you know da way to the dentist?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

MOOOOVIES!!!

SO MANY on this flight.

I do not know where to start.

EDIT: so on the first flight, I watched The Cloverfield Paradox, Overlord and Annihilation. First was ok, really liked the two others.

Second flight I became really tired and managed only two more movies. First Searching, which turned out to be absolutely fantastic, one of the best 2018 movies for me. A stark contrast to Replicas, a quite obscure Keanu Reeves SF movie which rather sucked.

In total, I found like a dozen movies I want to watch...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... ted-series

Magic The Gathering animation series being made for Netfix?

It will either be absolutely amazing or a train wreck to be forgotten.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

My other post made me come up with a stupid joke.

Planning to see Cold Pursuit tonight. Judging by the trailer, the movie's motto is "KILL IT WITH FIR!"

Because, ya know, there's this scene where Liam Neeson uses his special set of skills to pilot a tree harvester and slam the trunk of some huge evergreen into a car. Not sure if it's actually a fir tree, though.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So, I shall viciously double-post to actually present part II of my movies from my China trip!! I slept very long from Friday to Saturday and managed to stay awake for the entirety of both long-distance flights!!! I also figured out that I could start watching a movie long before take-off, I usually got half an hour into the first movie before we even got airborne. This is copied from what I told my mom back then.

Halloween - official "40 years later" sequel to the slasher classic from 1978. Rather predictable but decent fun, 7/10

Crazy Rich Asians - the famous romantic comedy that created such a huge impact last year. Very cute and funny, 8/10

The House with a Clock in its Walls - Jack Black and Cate Blanchett (wonderful!) as a warlock and witch living in a magical house with a hidden doomsday clock. Typical young adult stuff, 7/10

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween - more young adult magical slightly horror stuff, surprisingly fun movie, 8/10

Escape Room: Surprisingly good thriller/horror about six strangers who sign up to play an "escape room" - and of course it quickly becomes "dead serious". Bit of a bland ending made it an 8/10 for me.

These five during the nine-hour flight from Shanghai - I wrapped up the last one during taxiing in Dubai.

Turns out the movie selection on the Shanghai-Dubai leg is a lot more restricted. In the end, there were only three more movies in the "new movies" list I really wanted to see. Next to one I did watch later, I only missed Christopher Robin and The Old Man and the Gun.

Then four further movies on the second leg:

The Happytime Murders - a hilarious black R-rated comedy from none other than the Henson studio! It's a world where puppets exist as sentient beings, living next to humans. But they are treated in horribly racist ways. A former puppet cop has to tag-team with his human partner (Melissa McCarthy) to solve a puppet murder spree. Foulest language, tons of sexual innuendos and graphic violence (only against puppets). 8/10

Kin - this was a nice surprise. Takes place maybe mid-2000s (folding cell phones), and is generally a mix of crime movie and road trip. A young man has borrowed money from the wrong people (James Franco as a tough-as-nails criminal), things go south, the man's father gets killed and he has to flee with his younger (black, adopted) brother. But the really interesting aspect is that the kid has gotten access to a VERY powerful hypertechnological gun from some alien race, and now two of those creatures are following them too to get their weapon back. 8/10

The Kid Who Would Be King - a British movie, a retelling of Arthurian legend where Excalibur shows up in modern times, to be wielded by a nerdy 12-year old kid. This was also surprisingly fun, and had some nice creature effects. 8/10

And then I nearly missed the greatest of them all, as it was very near the end of the list. DOWNSIZING - Matt Damon movie in which a Norwegian (!) research institute creates the technology to shrink humans down to about 4 inches in height, in the hope to combat resource starvation and climate change. It did not have a deep, overarching plot but dealt wonderfully with the societal changes such technology would imply and in this sense reminded me of Äkta Människor (Real Humans).
10/10 hands down, this is one of the greatest SF movies I've ever seen, it could have been a book by Asimov or Neal Stephenson.

NINE movies in total! This must be a record for me.

In the end, there were still like five movies I wanted to see, two mentioned above, also Idiocracy and RBG. Next trip. :P
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

How to describe the "live action" Lion King...

The original is Mufasa, the new Scar. They butchered Be Prepared and I was so disappointed. Circle of Life was pretty ok, though
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Y

I can haz feels? *quivering lip*
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

No one posts here but me... :(

These last weeks I've been in Germany and saw Gemini Man, Zombieland: Double Tap, Doctor Sleep, Maleficent II: Mistress of Evil, Terminator: Dark Fate, and today Midway. Tomorrow: The Irishman.

I also watched, with the exception of Solo - A Star Wars Story, all main Star Wars movies (i.e., Episode I - VIII and Rogue One) with my mom and now she's kind of addicted! :D Also, Puss in Boots as a follow-up to the Shrek tetralogy back in January.

But the greatest movie (of the new ones) I saw was:

Symphonic Postapocalyptic Reindeer-Grinding Christ-Abusing Extreme War Pagan Fennoscandian Metal!!!

Az, if you do not know this, check it out! \M/

Oh, and the actual reason I am making this post: Wow. They actually listened! Movie may still turn out bad but the listened!
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I haven't been to the cinema in months. Pretty sure the last thing I saw was John Wick 3.

Well, it's certainly another oppourtunity for Jim Carrey to do Jim Carrey things in Jim Carrey ways, at least.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Well cats the movie was said to be horrifying but..

what if we made it even worse?

ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Did you know Terminator 2 had a lot of improv scenes?

Like the scene where Sarah is escaping the mental hospital and encounters him, with her running away but the orderlies grabbing her.
The actors for the orderlies had been told Arnold would scare them off with the shotgun but he surprised everyone when he started beating the literal shit out of them. Throwing them through glass panes, smashing one guys head into the wall.

Cameron didn't even stop, he just kept rolling and got the entire thing in one take.
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Saw the Dora the Explorer movie. For what it was, a live action movie based on an animated educational show for young children, it actually turned out to be a cute and enjoyable movie.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Movies are back??? :-o

Though actually, they may start again here next week. Let's see... Soooo want to see Mulan!
ImageImage