The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Azrael »

Went to the cinema and saw Cold Pursuit yesterday. Pretty much Liam Neeson doing Liam Neeson things in Liam Neeson ways, so nothing we haven't seen before. But even so it wasn't too bad and a pretty entertaining popcorn movie.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

He has that special set of skills to make the same movie again and again. :P

I saw How To Train Your Dragon 3 and Mary, Queen of Scots on Tuesday (finally, after managing to miss it in Germany by one day, and then missing it four times here...).

HTTYD3 was lots of fun, and I express mild astonishment that they have managed to keep the goodness level of the series up. A really fun trilogy.

MQoS has received a ton of criticism for being some kind of PC SJW propaganda vehicle. I still managed to enjoy it a lot. I'm a sucker for Saorsie Ronan, she was really good here, as was Margot Robbie. Costumes, settings, all that stuff was wonderful, and I loved the accents. :D

I guess Captain Marvel is next!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Mary Queen of Scots got accused of being SJW proponga?

my eyes arent spherical enough for the rolling required.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:18 pm

HTTYD3 was lots of fun, and I express mild astonishment that they have managed to keep the goodness level of the series up. A really fun trilogy.

Indeed. And that finally happened, so, HUZZAH!

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Tenjen wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm
Mary Queen of Scots got accused of being SJW proponga?

my eyes arent spherical enough for the rolling required.
Well, there's generally the thing about, in this case, actually having a much TOO DIVERSE cast of actors, e.g., a Chinese lady-in-waiting of Elizabeth (who, if I saw correctly, is actually a real historical figure, and someone of nobility), the ambassador to Mary is an African, etc.

Then the scene with that Italian guy Rizzio saying he feels much more like a sister than a brother to the ladies-in-waiting of Mary, and Mary (who is a Catholic...) just accepting that and being frivolous...

No Captain Marvel yet this week. But an Eddie Marsan movie called Feedback is on, might go see that.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

The Rise Of Skywalker

More like the Return of Heart Palpatinations, amirite?
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I absolutely LOVED Captain Marvel. The only Marvel movie I have to see before Endgame is Ant Man and the Wasp. Thankfully it's on Netflix, so I should be good to go.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Saw endgame. Its certainly a movie and there are actors in it acting #nospoilingendgame
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Dammit Tenjen I WANTED IT TO BE SURPRISE
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Saw Endgame. Can confirm is movie.

:P

Well, what I CAN say without spoiling that even here in Spain, the HYPETRAIN'S A ROLLIN'!!! The two cinemas showing English language features are actually the two biggest cineplexes in town. They feature most movies that are non-Spanish in OV, but sparingly, most often ONE feature in the first week. Even big blockbusters usually get one feature a day for the first week barring, for some reason, Mondays (but then may continue 1/week for multiple weeks, I saw Aquaman here in late January...). Luckily, the two movie theaters belong to the same small chain (which only has like six cinemas in all of Spain) and coordinate, one has Tuesday as OV day, one Thursday - but the movies quite often are not featured in both, especially the smaller indie features are usually only in the really big one (15 screens) in the north. At times, two movies I want to see will be on, and both at exactly the same time...

Anyway, I am really happy they have this feature, since it generally does not make them a lot of money. I went to see The Curse of La Lllorona on Tuesday and I was ALONE!

But it is not this day! I got there half an hour early and in exactly the same screen I was on Tuesday, there were like six seats left (out of over 200)!!! Luckily, two of those were in the last row in the outer corners. I'm a last-row person anyway, but hate sitting outside; but rather up there than in the first two rows and also way outside. I also saw they had added a second OV feature for the day which was not even in their online list! So, all in all, NEVER seen such a rush of people. I can't compare with Captain Marvel as I waited a week until I went to see that one. Infinity War... No real recollection but definitely not sold out like this.

Oh, and one minor "spoiler": Movie is AWESOMESAUCE. But considering it's rated #5 of all time (OF ALL TIME!) on IMDB right now, that's not that much of a spoiler.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Don Alexander wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:34 pm
Seems I'm the only one posting in this thread now... :( (And even that at very irregular intervals)

So!

Avengers: Infinity War really, really did it!!!

Biggest box office opening in the US ever.

Biggest worldwide box office opening ever.

And that without China! :-o
Hah!

Crom laughs at your feeble earnings!!

As I "predicted", Avengers: Endgame has blown shit up and everything out of the water, hauling in 1.2 BILLION $ in just five days!!!! That's already significantly surpassing Captain Marvel!! This time, of course, WITH China, where it made 330 Million $ and therefore actually a bit less than in the US.

The only record A:E will have to work to surpass is the cumulative US box office of SW VII: TFA. Though I feel it may make it, this to me is a movie a lot of people will be seeing multiple times. I probably will go again.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I saw Endgame too! Overall, it was fantastic. There were a few things I either didn't know how to feel about or just didn't like (not the ending though omg) but I think every movie has at least one part that does that for someone.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

In our area they had double features of Infinity War and End game. droves of people were taking it on.
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

https://us.cnn.com/2019/04/30/entertain ... index.html

NO NOT THE TEETH!!! NOT THE TEETH!!! ARGH!!!
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Yet another movie that's just a bit late. :-Q