The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Don Alexander »

Saw, nanana, just saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Was ok. Liked JW a lot better. Can't really compare to JP2 and JP3, been a long time.

Probably gonna make a decent amount of money nonetheless, and the, erm, gates have swung wide open for "War of the Planet of the Dinosaurs".
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Watched Coco and Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr story. Coco was so good and made me bawl like a little kid. Bombshell gave me way too many thoughts are still going on a day later. She is part of the reason I can listen to music and talk on the phone again and she did not get what she deserved from her life. I also wonder if frequency hopping is part of the technology in my CI but I am honestly not sure I understand it enough to know even if I read articles.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

So I went to the movies for the first time in months. I saw Solo: a Star Wars Story. And as usual I don't have any idea what everyone is wanking about. I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable little action flick (almost a Western, really) set in the Star Wars "Verse. A couple of things: All this time and until now I never realized that Lando was so much older than Han. I thought they were much closer in age. At first I did find the addition of Woody Harrelson to be a bit jarring, but at least he wasn't Jar-Jar-ing. :P But after a while I was able to go with it, as even now I don't really credit him to be as good an actor as he is until I see him work again. One thing did confuse me a bit, is Qi'ra Sith? If she is, HTF does that work? And finally, as it was, as it is, and as it ever shall be: Han shot first.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Azrael wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 am
One thing did confuse me a bit, is Qi'ra Sith? If she is, HTF does that work?
I'm pretty sure no. After all, Maul himself is not a Sith Lord anymore, which is why he is credited as "Maul", not Darth Maul. He managed to survive being cut in half but was supplanted by Darth Tyranus (Count Dooku). He's now a crime lord and leader of Crimson Dawn. Of course, Qi'ra may yet be Force-affine.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Azrael wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 am
So I went to the movies for the first time in months. I saw Solo: a Star Wars Story. And as usual I don't have any idea what everyone is wanking about. I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable little action flick (almost a Western, really) set in the Star Wars "Verse.
1) It's a good movie, but not a great movie. And there's nothing wrong with that except...
2) Star Wars purists (fanatics? Extremists? Whatever you want to call them) have placed the series (and its supposed canon) on a pedestal so high that no movie can possibly please them. They idolize Harrison Ford even though he's publicly stated that he really doesn't care for Han Solo and they seem to forget that it was Ford who insisted that Han be killed in The Force Awakens.

Also there's the offhand comment by the writer of Solo about Lando being pansexual which sent the homophobes up in flames... :-@

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I could post a million things in this thread but for now I will just say one small thing:

BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE

The movie completely blew me away, favorite movie of the year!!!! Anyone who is into Tarantino should go watch this. Best without seeing any trailers, they spoil too much.
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Need to catch up on my movies, havent been following recent ones at all!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Part of the journey is the end.

GRIMDARK

Then Ant-Man comes.
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Actual footage of me during that trailer

A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Man that look on Ronin's face says all it has to.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

So, I broke down and went to see Alita last night. I'm still processing and very much of two minds about it. On the one hand, if Battle Angel Alita didn't already exist, it was a bloody awesome little action movie. Unfortunately for this movie, BAA does exist, and while this movie wasn't the dumpster fire I was half expecting, it wasn't anything near what it could have been. Or should have been.

In short, if you know the source material you'll be somewhat to severely disappointed. If you are not, and if you're into science fiction at all and cyberpunk in particular, then I think it is a movie you'll enjoy.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

it honors the source about as much as such medium switches can, which is not saying its up to its standards but its leagues ahead of... other attempts.

So long as it brings people to the source material.
ImageImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I didn't hate it. I just hoped for more. Hell, excepting Speed Racer, this is by far the best live action anime / manga adaption yet done. Sadly. And I am almost positive there is going to be a sequel. There's a lot of untouched material just from the original BAA manga series, never mind the follow-ons. Add to this I can't really see then tapping Ed Norton just for a 30 second cameo at the end of the movie if there's not one in the plans if not the works. Then again I could be wrong, see Sean Connery at the end of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and others.

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

Huh, I wonder why no is talking about this year number one box office smash Frozen 2 . Let's face it, Disney would have to pull a major EA/Actionvision blunder to screw this one up.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Searcher wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:04 am
this year number one box office smash Frozen 2 .
Because that's going to be Avengers: Endgame. :P

I also saw Alita yesterday evening and was positively surprised. I do NOT know the original but from the first trailers, I had expected a Ghost-in-the-Shell level fiasco. Instead, it was loads of fun, great effects, Alita was really lovable (chocolate!), the fights were awesome (a certain one reminded me a lot of Firefly :ymdevil: )...

The ending was just a bit... surprising. My ears were still ringing hours later, the "SEQUEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL" scream had been so loud.
ImageImage