The Silver Screen

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Tenjen »

MK movie did the 1st MK movie proud and lived up to its legacy. its all it was meant to be.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Man, I'm so happy I'm able to go to the movies again I'm telling you all about it all! :D

Went to a double feature today, and, pretty sure for the first time in my life, did a double feature ALONE, in both movies. Now THAT'S COVID-19 safety!!

Anyway, first up was Those Who Wish Me Dead. Now, I've seen a lot of small indie movies mentioned on the weekly BoxOfficeMojo newsletter that have so far not shown up here at all. But I don't remember seeing anything about this one at all. It just came out of nowhere. And considering it has less than 500 (!) ratings on IMDB, it seems to be extremely obscure. Which is really, really weird since its lead is none other than Angelina Jolie! And you also have Jon Bernthal, Nicholas Hoult, and Littlefinger.
Anyway, it was a pretty good thriller. Fire is terrifying, even if the ones in the movie did not look terribly realistic. Recommended.

The other one was one I was sooo hoping for to show here. Nobody! And indeed, well, guess what... It actually launched a week ago but I had absolutely no time last week. Luckily still on (in English). I did know a trailer, so I had a rough idea what it's about. Though I think not knowing that trailer would have made it even cooler, because a certain important plot point is given away. Namely, that Hutch Mansell is not just some suburban dad with anger issues, but a grizzled John Wick, a former assassin who decided to get out and live a normal life. It even had some very direct references to a certain movie series I'll not mention outside spoilers. While it may be something of a spoof of those movies, or a twist in the genre, it does NOT hold back, the movie is fucking brutal. In that sense, it's a bit like Shawn of the Dead - except with way less actual comedy. I actually just rewatched said movie trilogy, which I absolutely love, and this one was a bit weaker, but it's a comparison on high ground.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Grrrr!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Movies on here I want to watch:

- Army of the Dead
- Freaky
- Spiral

Movies on here I want to watch that are on in English so I can go watch them:

[ ]*

* This space intentionally left blank by some fuckwad.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Add to the above list: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It. :(

However, I have managed to see Cruella. I thought it was lots of fun. I really like Emma Stone, and Emma Thompson as The Baroness was an amazing villain!! I have ZERO interest in fashion in the real world, but in this movie, it was just splendid!!! :x

And today, I finally got to see A Quiet Place II. I have to say, I was rather disappointed. The first part felt very fresh (even if the premise was ridiculously stupid*) and had some truly shocking moments (beeping Space Shuttle, anyone? Or Foot, meet Nail?). The sequel was more action-oriented, had people acting pretty stupidly, humanity is mostly crap moments... It just kind of didn't grip me. Also, I forgot beforehand that I'm in Spain. So all the sign language was subtitled... in Spanish. 8-| And when people talked they often did so vry hush hush...

*My theory now is there are two alien races. The ones who actually have the technology to travel interstellar distances - and the ones we see. The latter are just advanced predatory animals, sent out to "soften up" any resistance against when their masters emerge to colonize the planet.
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Don Alexander wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:17 pm
Add to the above list: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It. :(

However, I have managed to see Cruella. I thought it was lots of fun. I really like Emma Stone, and Emma Thompson as The Baroness was an amazing villain!! I have ZERO interest in fashion in the real world, but in this movie, it was just splendid!!! :x

Everybody keeps saying it's really good. I love Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. I dunno if I'll go see this one though. I was never big into the 101 Dalmations and even less into Cruella. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on DVD or Streaming.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, if you pay Disney extra monies, it's already on streaming. :P
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Yeah, I don't want to do that right now lol. I'm poor at the moment.
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

So I guess this belongs more here... I guess I've mentioned before that a friend of mine has Disney+, and for whatever reason, he got it with four accounts, one of which he gave me. :)

So I've been rewatching the MCU and of course the new Marvel limited series and a bunch of other movies...

But in terms of pseudo-cinema, I've recently watched:

Mulan - that is, the live-action one. This was quite dragged through the dirt and has a bad rating on IMDB. And I... don't get it. I loved the movie! Ok, I guess the main reason is many Disney fans were expecting pretty much a remake of the cartoon, and then there's no Mushu, and they turned it pretty much into an unbloody Eastern, but still with massive amounts of death and a strong "War is Hell" vibe. It's not a kids' movie. I was also astonished by the lead actress, who's about 20 (!!!) years older than the teenage character she's portraying.

Raya and the last Dragon: As I am also not paying extra monies to Disney, I have to wait like 2.5 months for this to come out without extra cost. Was rather disappointing. But I thought it was really well done, if not just a bit, but a lot predictable. There were multiple plot twists that I pretty much all saw coming, and that made it rather boring. Akwafina was a bit overbearing, but I loooooved CON BABY!!! =))

So, you know, overall, these new movies have been mostly let-downs. :(
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

I wasn't too enthralled with the new Mulan movie either (because, no Mushu), but I thought the main actress was wonderful. However, I thought the fact that they didn't stick to the Disney version made it that much better. There's a live-action Mulan movie done (I think in Chinese?) with sub-titles, that is just excellent--more to the historical aspect of Mulan--and I feel like the new Mulan via Disney kinda had a PG version vibe to it.

I have yet to see Raya because I am currently more poor than dirt, but it's on my to-do list.

I recently rewatched the MCU movies, watched the Falcon and Winter Soldier series (when I had Disney+), and being a huge nerd loved them. I cried at Endgame because, well, Tony Stark is my favorite. But oh well.

I'm currently watching the Shadowhunters show on Hulu. I've only read the first book but I think the fact that they did a TV show rather than a movie allowed them to get more accurate with the plot and delve into character development better. It is a little soapy for my taste, but I absolutely love the Magnus/Alec relationship. <3
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

YOU GUYS!

YOU GUYS!!!!

YOU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaK02lTdgFc

THEY'VE TURNED MARRY ME INTO A MOVIE!!!!!!!

Friend of mine sent me the trailer because JLo and slightly wanting to taunt me as this is a movie I'd never ever wanna see. Indeed nothing clicked until I see Owen Wilson in the audience holding up the "Marry Me!" sign. My brain just exploded... 8-}

Side note: It was scary how far down I had to scroll in the YouTube coments to find the first mention of the webcomic. And even that was someone being dumb and saying there's this webcomic based on the same storyline... /:)

Side note #2: Whenever I finally have some time again, I need to write about a lot of movies...
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Casting on this seems weird to me. /:)
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yCRhFLwUjg

Darn you to hell, Disney+, waited almost a year for The Book of Boba Fett, and now it has finally started, and you serve me THIS?????

The HYYYYYYYYPE is REAL!!!!! *droolsquiteabit* Darth Vader! Maul! Saw Guerrera! *droolsabitmore*
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5ELWi-ekk

It's the early 90s again. And I have tears in my eyes.

I mean, snow????
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Guys, guys, guys, I HAVE to warn you! Do not go and see Thor: Love & Thunder, it will just cause your balls to shrivel and then you will go out and kill a lot of people to combat your demasculinization!!!

I mean, according to IMBD, the most relevant keywords for the movie are:

nudity
gay
male nudity
sick male objectification
male objectification
super unnecessary male objectification
sexist double standart against a male
unnecessary male objectification
stupid male objectification

It's the Incel/MRA brigade again... 8-|
Don Alexander wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yCRhFLwUjg
Darn you to hell, Disney+, waited almost a year for The Book of Boba Fett, and now it has finally started, and you serve me THIS?????
The HYYYYYYYYPE is REAL!!!!! *droolsquiteabit* Darth Vader! Maul! Saw Guerrera! *droolsabitmore*
Oh, holy fucking shit, I clicked on this again and even before it opened, I realized I... yup, I fell for a fake trailer. =(( I'm fucking MORTIFIED. I HATE those things!!! I mean, yes, Obi-Wan Kenobi, the series, is real, I really liked it too (better than Book of Boba Fett, less good than The Mandalorian), and clearly there are some real shots from a teaser in this fake clip (like the logo at the end). But no Maul, no Saw Guerrera... Though there was VADER for sure! :D
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

One of these days I'll arse myself to go to the cinema again.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.