Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by Azrael »

No, fortunately Puerto Rico dodged this bullet.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

One's gain is another's loss, though. Bahamas :(
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

https://us-m.cnn.com/2019/10/20/us/dall ... cnn.com%2F

Tornado nearly hits SidewaysPlatypus!!!

But she's safe!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/15/euro ... index.html

This time it's personal - kind of.

While I am sweating in sweltering Spain, Germany has been being hit by weeks on end of thunderstorms. By now, I think, one of those "Omega weather patterns" has developed, where the jet stream bulges south, creating a rotating low pressure area - right over northern Germany. This funnels cold and moisture-rich air from the North Sea and the Atlantic south, while hot air blows up from the southwest, from Spain and France. At their meeting, a nearly stationary rain front develops. No thunderstorms here, no high winds, just torrential rainfall for many hours on end.

So I'm from the city of Trier, on the Moselle river near the Luxembourg border, and it seems nothing extreme happened there. These hours, the Moselle flood wave is peaking at about 930 cm, which is three times normal. It's a lot, BUT it's something that occurs once every few years, and flood protection systems are in place. Additionally, our house is over a mile from the river, up on a little hill, and even the local creek can't hit it if it overflows and escapes its underground passageway. So no worries there.

But the devastation in many other places is just unprecedented. Over 40 dead already! I know that globally speaking, this is a pretty small number compared to what hurricanes and tornadoes even in the US might do, but I don't recall having seen so many casualties from a storm in Germany in I don't know how long.

And the numbers that are slowly surfacing on the amounts of rainfall, the levels to which smaller rivers and creeks rose... It's not just "Not in living memory." but "Not in the history books either."
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

https://us.cnn.com/2021/07/15/europe/ge ... index.html

Now it has become the title story on CNN (US CNN, that is, not the worldwide edition).
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Yeah the weather is all kinds of fucked up this week. End of days is getting nearer, folks.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

Not gonna lie, I played hookey today because the weather was so beautiful. Went in the backyard with my book and read for quite a while. :x
ImpulseOracle %%-

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Our Canadian Flyboy better watch his bacon.

https://us.cnn.com/2022/09/22/weather/h ... index.html
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

You got an icicle coming out of your nose there, USA/Canada.

cyanide_sweet told me it's -34° C/-29° F in Calgary! OUCH

And to think last week we actually had more winter here in western Germany than in the entirety of the 2021/2022 "winter". A week of frost, even during the day, with morning temps after crystal clear nights of -10° C/14° F.
ImageImage

ImpulseOracle

Post by ImpulseOracle »

It's definitely playing some weird tricks here in the U.S. 15 degrees F here, with a Feels Like of 6. I'm thankful I don't live in the Midwest right now. From what I hear, they are having some really bad cold spells. I never thought I'd say that, as somebody from New England.
ImpulseOracle %%-