Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by yiraheerai »

Best of luck. Stay safe if you can.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

It was about a cat 2 when it went by Kissimmee and Orlando Florida. I lost power at 1159 pm, I got my power back at 1000 am (freaking amazing!), I had some street flooding (about foot and half deep) and tree branches but no power lines down in my neighborhood, nor any trees. I haven't bother getting out and drive around town, no sense getting in the way.

I hope DnE got as lucky.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Last I saw, he and Saskia were at a friend's house more inland. He did check in to say he survived but I have no idea when we'll get a report about the area he lives in.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

So, how 'bout that weather in the Eastern US? Know the wind was terrible here, but I heard it was much worse up north. Y'all aight?
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Florence. Current path is to hit pretty much right here, so, that's fun. I'm sure it'll still mostly miss us, but have to be prepared I guess.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

Good Luck!
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

Relative good news, Florence has slow down to a cat 2 storm as of 1100 pm update. Of course, that only takes in the wind damage, it is also may slow down it forward speed, right now it is moving along at 17 mph
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/M ... 0248.shtml?

So Mikbuster and any others in the area, things are looking a little better for you … relativity.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Good luck, Mik. Be safe.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Be safe! :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

https://twitter.com/dorseyshaw/status/1 ... 4581214209

:-o

Best use of computers to educate people as to why the winds are not your major concern when the stupid hurricane slows down.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, just off a fat heat wave in the US which likely hit some of you, now Europe is having an extreme heat wave.

In Germany, the absolute temperature record since the beginning of recordings in the late 19th century had been 40.3° C, set in summer 2015.

Yesterday, a small place called Geilenkirchen (which literally translates to Hornychurches!) hit 40.5°, and there was a lot of discussion as this was not an official measuring site of the German weather service, but of NATO (!). However, it was later confirmed.

You know, such a new record in form of an incremental increase is kind of what you'd expect from "things as normal." It takes a while, but it happens.

Well, but the predictions were for the hottest day to be today.

And already around noon, another small town called Lingen reached 40.6°. Then 40.9°. Then it topped 41°... THEN 42°!!!!!!! And right now, it seems the new record is 42.6°!!!!!!!!!!! For all you Fahrenheiters out there, that's 108.7° F!

That's not incremental change, that's Usain Bolt.

It's bitter irony that it's about 5° C cooler here in southern Spain right now... On the other hand, temps will plummet on the weekend in Germany, accompanied by strong thunderstorms, whereas we here are likely to have another 6 weeks of straight scorching sunshine... :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Global warming yaaaaaaaaaaay :|

I hope you don't get flash floods the way we did when it rained. Though to be fair, my town doesn't handle rain well at all. Ever. We can get only an inch or two of rain and it'll flood some areas or the streets pretty good. The cooler weather afterward has been lovely, though. I mean, it's still in the 90s but it makes a difference.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

yiraheerai wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:55 am
Best of luck. Stay safe if you can.
I'll echo these words from almost two years ago for much of the east coast now... :ymhug:
ImageImage

Searcher

Post by Searcher »

And the Bahamas, dear God, Cat five for a day now! gust over 200 MPH, Two hundred !!!!!!

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

It hit Puerto Rico too, didn't it? I worried about them quite a lot since they're still recovering from the last cat 5 and you can bet they won't get help from the government. We learned that lesson.