Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by Don Alexander »

So I guess we're having what even the Grenadines (if that is what you call the people of Granada) are calling a heatwave...

During daytime it was 44 °C/111 °F.
When I went to the movies at seven in the evening, still 41 °C/106 °F.
And the most astonishing was when I came here to the institute, just the barest sliver of twilight left, but it was still 37 °C/99 °F!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Welcome to the "Help, I'm melting" club.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

And yet, here in Vermont, things have been cooler than average. We're only about to have our first solid few days of 80F weather next week.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

A-HA! Vermont is to blame. Weather here in Washington has been shitful. We haven't had a day where the high didn't start with at least a 7 in like 27 days. And we've already had a couple days in June of triple digit weather. We don't generally get weather like that until August. :ymtongue: This. Is. WASHINGTON! *boots Persian Weatherman into the Pit of Despair
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Weather here has been perfect... I mean, everyone else is complaining it's too hot, but the only issue I've had is there's way too much light from that big sphere up there.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Isn't it nice when the weather does stuff we like? It rained here :3 And not like a big storm or anything too, just a soft drizzle. It was nice.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

While this may yet change, our favorite Texan, SidewaysPlatypus, has told me she lives far enough inland and expects Harvey to have broken up into storm systems by the time it hits her place. So probably nothing to worry about.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Lets hope so
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The problem is that Harvey isn't expected to go inland. At least not directly. It's going to go inland a little, bounce out back into the Gulf, and then head back inland and may not be downgraded into just storms sometime around Thursday of next week.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Yeah, they're saying this one is going to linger like a dog fart in a closed room.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Have y'all seen some of the pictures of Houston? There was a nursing home full of people waiting to get rescued and they were sitting in water what was probably waist deep on most of them. They managed to rescue them but damn, man. It's worrying.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Anyone with a shallow bottomed boat is being asked to lend to the rescue effort. It's really bad, and it's just going to continue to be catastrophic as more and more rain continues to fall before this finally moves out the end of the week...oh and President Trump is planning on visiting Texas tomorrow.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

He'll likely leave quickly enough once he sees the golf course is flooded. :P

Anyway, this explains why already last Friday, I had seen in the long-term forecast that the Dallas-Fort Worth area was not supposed to be hit by heavy rains until a week later.

I heard in a report yeasterday that somewhere near Houston, it had rained 500 millimeters (20 inches) in THREE HOURS, with 350 of those coming in the first 1.5 hours. :| :| :| :|

The hardest rain I have ever experienced was the downburst of a bow echo of a supercell system crossing Germany back in summer 2005, this was absolutely apocalyptic and I estimate it dumped 5 - 10 millimeters of rain in just 90 seconds or so. Extrapolated, this gives 300 - 600 millimeters in 90 minutes, so they basically experienced a biblical deluge going on for 1.5 hours. The mind boggles.

Also, saw a statistic that Harvey has so far dumped 11 TRILLION gallons of rain!!!! That equates to 42 trillion liters, 42 billion cubic meters... FORTY-TWO CUBIC KILOMETERS OF WATER!!!!!!!! Or pretty much exactly TEN CUBIC MILES!!!!!!!

Even Andalusia is getting some moderately heavy rain and thunderstorms. Meanwhile, where I am, it's brilliant sunshine, hot, and rather stifling...
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

how many people here have experienced oven hot wind? Hot enough to make your skin feel like its burning?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Nope, can't say that I have.